“Fantastic museum for any train enthusiast” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 176 things to do in Sacramento
Activities: Arts and crafts
More attraction details
Owner description: North America's largest railroad museum draws more than 500,000 train enthusiasts annually.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
San Francisco
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 368 helpful votes
“Fantastic museum for any train enthusiast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have visited this museum at least half a dozen times in the past, and I must say each time I learn something new here. What is great about this museum is its knowledgeable docents who would patiently spend time with visitors to tell about the history behind the many exhibits. There is no doubt all of the exhibits and artifacts are wonderful to look at and experience, but to get a deeper level of appreciation you would really need to have a docent tell you more about them.

My recommendation when you visit the museum is to give yourself at least 2-3 hours to experience everything. Guided tours are given several times a day, so make sure to take advantage of one. Ask the docents to tell you about the exhibits, if you'd like to learn more about them. This is a great museum for kids also (we have 4 and 7 year olds), as there's a giant model train display area, as well as a play area with lots of Thomas and Chugginton sets.

Salisbury, North Carolina
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 140 helpful votes
“Fantastic Railroad Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We have been to several railroad museums and this has to rank as the best so far. Exhibits are well presented and cover the history of railroads supporting the gold rush and the transcontinental link. A number of rail cars you can enter.

Visited September 2013
Scotland
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“This needs time to savour - don't arrive late in the day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We only had an hour but it was still good to visit here. See the movie to start as it is excellent. The huge exhibits are truly magnificent and every bit as impressive as you expect - maybe even a bit bigger! There is every effort to evoke the whole experience of the railroad and the car which 'moves' on the rails is part of that. Staff friendly and helpful and the volunteer we talked to looked every part like 'Casey Jones'. Would recommend this attraction. Good shop as well. Well done to all involved in keeping this attraction going.

Antioch, California, United States
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Great area attraction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I learned a lot of history during this visit to Sacramento. There are tours of old train cars, etc. I would highly recommend taking school age children here...as well as old guys like myself.

Clovis, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Fun for Everyone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I was truly surprised by how much I enjoyed the museum. I knew my five year old son would be thrilled, but I didn't know that I would be. It is a very comprehensive and interactive museum and it's not just for train buffs. We will definitely be back.

Visited November 2012