“Fantastic Railroad Museum” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Type: History museums, Specialty museums, Museums
Activities: Arts and crafts
More attraction details
Owner description: North America's largest railroad museum draws more than 500,000 train enthusiasts annually.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Salisbury, North Carolina
82 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Railroad Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We have been to several railroad museums and this has to rank as the best so far. Exhibits are well presented and cover the history of railroads supporting the gold rush and the transcontinental link. A number of rail cars you can enter.

Visited September 2013

Scotland
29 attraction reviews
“This needs time to savour - don't arrive late in the day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We only had an hour but it was still good to visit here. See the movie to start as it is excellent. The huge exhibits are truly magnificent and every bit as impressive as you expect - maybe even a bit bigger! There is every effort to evoke the whole experience of the railroad and the car which 'moves' on the rails is part of that. Staff friendly and helpful and the volunteer we talked to looked every part like 'Casey Jones'. Would recommend this attraction. Good shop as well. Well done to all involved in keeping this attraction going.

Visited October 2013
Antioch, California, United States
7 attraction reviews
“Great area attraction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I learned a lot of history during this visit to Sacramento. There are tours of old train cars, etc. I would highly recommend taking school age children here...as well as old guys like myself.

Visited October 2013
Clovis, California
13 attraction reviews
“Fun for Everyone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I was truly surprised by how much I enjoyed the museum. I knew my five year old son would be thrilled, but I didn't know that I would be. It is a very comprehensive and interactive museum and it's not just for train buffs. We will definitely be back.

Visited November 2012
Iowa City, Iowa
70 attraction reviews
“See the movie first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We got there just as the movie was about to start which was good - told about how the Western terminus of the transcontinental railroad was determined and financed as well as other things. Afterwards, we got a tour of the museum - also worth it. Once the tour was over, we walked the museum on our own. Kids would like the model trains.

Visited September 2013