“Expensive but good wines” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 20 Activities in Rutherford
Type: Farms, Food & Drink
Southington, Connecticut, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Expensive but good wines”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

A more expensive than average tasting but their cabernets are fantastic. I was a little disappointed with the food provided with the $45/pp wine tasting/food pairing. It consisted of a tiny bit of pureed peas, a quarter-sized biscuit, and a tiny corned beef croquette. I knew we weren't going to get much, but it was very minimal. The best was the outdoor patio/living room and the gorgeous views. It was a good 1-time experience.

Visited March 2013
roundpondwine, Manager at Round Pond Estate, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We are so sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your tasting experience. Our philosophy is sustainability and depending on the season we try to incorporate any kinds of fruits, vegetables, or herbs we have growing in the estate gardens into the estate tastings. We do change our food pairing menu out 8 times per year. We should have our chefs’ famous stuffed olives back next month, so we hope you’ll come back and give us a second chance. We would appreciate it if you would reach out to us at roundpondwine@gmail.com.

Miami, FL
“Don't waiste your time these people don't care about customer service!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I just wanted to try and buy some olive oils here but the lady in charge of the place aparently didn't want to sell. She was busy doing a taisting and she was so stresses to se us that she panicked and told that that she couldnt take care of us, actually she told us that she should have locjed the door so we couldn't enter!!! You know we could understand if we was busy but ut was her tone and her lack of interest to tell us I am sorry come back later or please feel free to see or give me 15 minutes, etc. so many options she could have offered us. Anyway I wont give these guys a second chance and actually we found a great place called OLIVER in lain street Sta Helena, great store, great olive oils and GREAT SERVICE!!!

Visited February 2013
roundpondwine, Manager at Round Pond Estate, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
We are very sorry you had an unpleasant experience during your visit. We would love the opportunity to make it up to you. Perhaps you could reach out to us at roundpondwine@gmail.com so we can discuss more about your dissatisfaction? Again, we are terribly sorry and do apologize for your experience while visiting our olive mill.
New Orleans, Louisiana
28 attraction reviews
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I have recently become olive oil snobs after reading Tom Mueller's "Extra Virginity" about the industry. We came to Sonoma specifically to taste and buy authentic olive oil. The tour was informative and simple (I thought we'd go out into the vineyards to see the trees but the tour doesn't go further than the shop which was a little disappointing). The tasting was the highlight. The tour guide showed the correct technique for tasting olive oil (if you are reading this and have never done this then it you need to do it) and they provided a huge assortment of foods to try with the oils.
The oil at Round Pond is as good as you will get in this country. They have less than 1 hour of time between picking the olives and finishing the oil. It was delicious.
I bought several bottles of freshly pressed oils that have not even been bottled yet (they poured them to order after the tour).
My only beef with Round Pond is:
If you are going to sell me oil, and you can assume I am a tourist who will go home on an airplane, HAVE A BOTTLE THAT IS TRAVEL READY!! They sold me a beautiful glass bottle (which I got charged $7 for in addition to the quote price of the olive oil) with a cork stuck in it. Are you kidding me? We had to get plastic wrap and duct tape and bags to even consider putting that in our suitcase. And even with the extra protection, the oil leaked a little before we got home. I bet if you ask for a screw top bottle they must have one somewhere...hopefully they were just out the day I was there.
I highly advocate doing this tour because if you think the olive oil you buy at your grocery store is not only healthy, but actually real olive oil, then you need to do more research....

Visited January 2013
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
12 attraction reviews
“So relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Beautiful driveway, welcoming folks, excellent rooftop views and ambiance....and the wine is excellent too! Don't miss the pairing! We enjoyed this winery so much we didn't want to leave the terrace. Service was fun and casual - so not stuffy but knowledgeable. Such a treat to sit, drink, chat and enjoy. We will be back.

Visited January 2013
Seattle
3 attraction reviews
“Tasty and interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We decided to go to Round Pond for olive oil and wine vinegar tasting since we were going to be wine tasting a lot over the weekend we were spending in Napa Valley. We took the option that included bread and fruit and other embellishments and it served for a delightful light lunch. We learned a lot and it was great fun.

Visited September 2012