“Great for large groups; wine is average at best” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 20 Activities in Rutherford
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
Redmond, Washington
6 attraction reviews
“Great for large groups; wine is average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had driven past Peju more times than I can count so we finally decided to stop in when we noticed there weren't massive tour buses parked out front. This is inherently the issue I do have with Peju; as a tourist spot I am sure it is way up there but if you have been to Napa many times and/or are looking for a more intimate experience you will be a tad disappointed here.

As I mentioned, Peju usually caters to large groups so even when you do go in when it does not look crowded they lump you into a group for your tasting. The staff is very friendly but they do have a large number of people that they need to cater to so while they will describe the wine to everyone if you have questions or want more detail this can be challenging as they frantically fill up glasses of everyone.

In the end, it always comes down to the wine and unfortunately I can say that the wine at Peju is really quite average. As a large producer I can understand this but with so many other options in the area I can't really recommend stopping at Peju unless you are looking for a place that can accommodate a large group.

Visited March 2013

Santa Monica, California
22 attraction reviews
“Upsell Central”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My two friends and I were visiting NAPA with the intent of sampling some great wine and ambiance to compliment our hobbyist interest in authentic vineyard wine production. Situated just next door to the Esteemed Landmark Opus One and down the Road from Robert Mondavi Vineyards two of NAPA Valleys now corporate strongholds we were optimistic that this smaller still closely owned vineyard would provide a genuinely enjoyable smaller tasting experience of some quality wine without the generic corporate upsell experience you experience at many other wineries in NAPA. Needless to say we were gravely disappointed after we handed over our two for one tasting voucher to be poured less than our share of a tasting while being heavily upsold at every step of the tasting process by a self-proclaimed senior rapper who rapped as he poured our wine. Making matters worse the wine tasted a modicum better than grape juice. You're better off saving the circus of a senior white rapper performance and at least being able to accurately anticipate what grade of wine you will be sampling by skipping this place and heading over to Beaulieu Vineyards or may even Sutter Home would be better cause at least you know what you're getting into.

Visited February 2013
Mo
6 attraction reviews
“what a fun place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Ten of us had a private tasting at Peju. It was around an hour and we all thoroughly enjoyed. The man presenting was great. He was very informational and entertaining us with songs and history. Had a very nice private air conditioned area to taste. After tasting we were allowed to stay there and eat lunch that we had brought from Oakville Grocery.
Very good wines.

Visited June 2013
“Service good ... Wine was just ok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Went to peju winery for a wine tasting yesterday. Most of the wines were dry and very sweet. The only wine I actually liked was the fifty/fifty. If you like Zinfandels then I recommend going.

So Cal
11 attraction reviews
“Unplanned stop, Great time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We dropped in to this beautiful property as a unplanned stop. While there are plenty of great wines and wineries in the area, I don't think they all have someone like Richie. He kept all of the tasters entertained and was successful in selling plenty of wine. By the end of our time there, it seemed everyone got to know each other. I will grant you there was plenty of wine being consumed but he really did bring the group together. If you are all about fun then this place is for you. If you are about wine snobbery and take yourself very seriously and don't like to have fun this place is not for you.

The wine seemed fairly priced and Richie would bring us more of a freshly opened bottle to get an idea of the differences between a fresh bottle or one that has been opened for a few hours.