“Loved this hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Dublin, CA
“Loved this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed here in August 2011, and this hotel was amazing. We loved every minute of our stay. Our room was beautiful and spacious, the pool service was top notch with excellent food, we loved our meals at the restaurant on the deck at sunset with the beautiful view.. we have not one complaint about our entire trip. We just had a fabulous weekend together and we feel this hotel was nicer than many of the fancy hotels we've stayed at previously. My husband and I often find ourselves daydreaming about our next trip to Auberge du Soleil, and we've decided to make it an annual anniversary trip for us.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
katonah, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at the auberge with pretty high expectations based on the many things that we had read and heard about it. Sometimes it is hard for a place to live up to it's hype but that wasn't the case here. We loved every minute of being here. We also were fortunate to be here at the beginning of December so we got to see the thanksgiving and Christmas decorations. The staff was great, the room was incredible, the spa was gorgeous and the food was delicious. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

This restaurant came highly recommended by experienced wine county friends - told my husband "you'll be a hero". They were completely correct. This was at the high end of what we had wanted to spend and was the "big dinner" of our all too short trip to the area. Although we found the ordering a tiny bit confusing, the food was fabulous. Not one thing we didn't love. The wine selections were excellent and reasonable (for the type of restaurant). Service was good and the restaurant lovely. We visited in March and so could not enjoy the gardens that are reported to be lovely.

I was happy to see that the servers were well versed in how the food was prepared and open to questions form curious guests. While I would not recommend this for families with children, it is only that it might diminish the romantic mood of the restaurant. A family seated narby had 2 children with them (amybe 5 -7 years) and they were catered to in a lovely manner.

This would be a "must do" on my list.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

.. we enjoyed this beautiful property from the Relais & Châteaux group. The reception was very good. Our room was located on a second floor with beautiful views of the valley. It was spacious, nice and clean. A lot of amenities including a fireplace with logs. A small refrigerator with a lot of complimentary drinks, snacks etc.. The Spa treatment was good. We had a delicious dinner in the evening.
The only thing that was not so good.. early the next morning, a group of 5-6 housekeeping employees were doing 'spring' cleaning for hours in the room on top of ours. We were annoyed with the noise. We suggest that, since it is not high season yet, perhaps they should have more coordination and do this type of cleaning when there is no guests next door.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of the valley.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

This property was on my "bucket" list of hotels since the mid-80s when I used to visit the wine country twice a month from my home in Silicon Valley. I couldn't affort it back then, so we decided to try it for a Valentine's Day getaway. We have been fortunate to stay in several nice hotels recently(like The Peninsula in Beverly Hills and The Carlyle in NYC) so I was interested to stay at Auberge to compare because Auberge is, by far, much more expensive. I had the same experience as a previous reviewer, in that the rate I was quoted on the phone was $100 more than the rate I found on the Internet, which was frustrating and unnecessary in my view. I also used the Concierge prior to my stay to book winery tours. She was very helpful and friendly and her follow-through was excellent. She also booked a couple of local restaurants, which was great but we did not have a car and had no idea it would be impossible to get a cab back to Auberge from St. Helena. One of the couples dining at the restaurant was kind enough to give us lift - make sure you have a car. We booked the cheapest room and got an upgrade at check-in. We had a terrace but could not see the Valley yet we liked the privacy. The complimentary snacks and bottle of wine in the room was a very nice touch, as was the nightly turn-down. The staff throughout the property was very friendly. The grounds are lovely; loved the sculptures and landscaping. We ate 2 dinners at the Bistro, which is more casual than the formal dining room but we much preferred it. We had reservations at the formal restaurant for Valentine's night, but sat down and saw it was a fixed-price, four course meal and we had had so much wine that we again opted for a cheese/pate platter & oysters in the Bistro. The staff at the restaurant did not make us feel at all uncomfortable about opting for the Bistro. We had very noisy neighbors two of the three nights during our stay. I mentioned it to the front desk manager our final morning and she followed up with me after we checked out and gave us a discount on our bill. I really
appreciated her taking the time and effort to address the issue even after we departed. That is an indication that Auberge cares about their guests enough to want them to return, even in a touristy area like Napa Valley. We will return, but I do feel the nightly price of this hotel is too high given the property.

Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

The above heading can't summarise my first visit to a.d.s enough. Having spent an amazing stay for our anniversary and my birthday in napa with the poetry inn ( which by the way the staff at auberge bistro can clearly learn sth fr in terms of service), my partner and I decided to check out auberge in view if the supposedly excellent ratings on tripadvisor as we were planning to return to napa pretty soon.
To be fair we were pleasantly greeted by the staff at the front desk and lady in front of the bistro who helpfully gave suggestions. There was also a gentleman (?manager - he was in a smart blue shirt and suit) who helpfully suggested an all day bistro menu.
With a gd start, we decided to have a bite at the bistro while waiting for dinner. I distinctly rem it was 4pm on 12th feb 2012.

But it was downhill -fast- once we stepped in.

1) there were 3 waiters and 1 waitress at tht time. The place was not full, but no one bothered to show us to seats. Granted, it is likely perhaps a free seating bistro, so we made our way outdoors to find a tAble.
HOWEVER, just a couple of minutes later, one of the waiters led a grp of ladies to their tables outdoors, while pleasantly explaining to them the amazing views their seats will have. This irks me very much and makes me wonder abt the substandard treatment.

2) my partner truly wanted us to enjoy the lovely view, considering we flew a long distance to napa and it being our first visit here. He thus went over and spoke to the (only) female waitress who mentioned we could shift over to the seats once she was done clearing the table up.
We thus waited at another table .
What happened next was a positive shock.
The waiter whom I mentioned above led 3 ladies to the table and promptly sat them down. Granted, the team.s communication might not have been excellent and thus, he was not made aware of us wanting the tAble.
However, what made me boil was h ow the lady waitress blatantly saw the three ladies sit, and didn't even flinch a bit. I waited a while to see if she will come over and at least explain or offer another seat, but no..
With such disregard, we decided not to eat at such a place. Before I left, I sought an explanation for what happened from her. And her totally not giving me any eye contact and flippantly saying "oh yea it's free seating you knw, hang on" while looking at the cashier was the last straw for me. is this how a supposedly renowned hotel staff treats a customer? How did the ratings get this high??

To be honest, the view is not to die for, I enjoyed better views and service from the poetry inn, it's just such a let down that such service can exist in a supposedly 5star facility housing a Michelin starred restaurant. Obviously, the service of the staff at the Bistro is not on par with that star...
A true disappointment, and I'll put my money somewhere more deserving the next flight up.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
bradley20, General Manager at Auberge du Soleil, responded to this review, February 19, 2012
Dear Eileen,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent experience here at Auberge du Soleil. Please accept my sincere apologies for your dissatisfaction with our Bistro service. You are correct that it is "open" seating in this area and guests are free to select any open table. As you may suspect, tables with the best views are always in demand and many seated guests are requesting the next available table with a more spectacular view. Sometimes it is difficult for our waitstaff to determine which guest has placed the first request for that next table. Our mistake is that we did not follow up with you to explain the situation and then secure the next available table with an equally special view.

I would like the opportunity to turn your opinion around. You indicated that you intend to travel to the Valley in the future. Please contact me in advance at (707) 967-3131 or breynolds@aubergedusoleil.com as I would personally like to see to the details of your next visit.

Regards,
Bradley Reynolds
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

This resort has it all. You can stay in the hotel section and enjoy the shared pool (which is till wonderful) or you can choose a private suite/villa (which we did). We had a private garden suite, with a separate living room with fireplace, dining table, half bath, full kitchen with full size Jenn Aire Fridge stocked with wine, cheese, and fruit, and french doors to our patio/pool area. The master bedroom also had a fireplace and a king bed, fabulous bath suite, and french doors to the patio/pool area. We couldn't have enjoyed it more! We relaxed by the pool each morning with coffee (or mimosas) while reading the paper, and enjoyed a relaxing dip in the pool each evening upon our return.
The food at the restaurant (and room service) is excellent. Beautifully prepared and presented, and just the right amount. Everything is first class (and pricey) but it is worth every penny. This must be what heaven is like!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Auberge du Soleil? Share your experiences!