“Wow. Just wow. And not in a good way.” 1 of 5 stars

Heritage Inn Express Roseville
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   204 Harding Blvd., Roseville, CA 95678   |
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Roseville
Gardnerville, Nevada
“Wow. Just wow. And not in a good way.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Get ready, this will take some time...

The reservations were placed by my mother several months prior to our stay. She offered to foot the bill, but she had to keep the cost down, plus this was around a mile from her house, that's why she chose this place for us. She's had friends stay here and say that it's not that bad, plus I had a friend from church tell me it wasn't bad. So I chose to put all the poor reviews out of my head and make my own decision once we arrived. Still, because of the reviews, my mother called ahead and requested that the room be extra clean and that enough towels for three guests be stocked in the bathroom.

We arrived on a Thursday at 11am. I didn't realize that check-in was at 3pm. She checked with housekeeping to see if the room was close to being ready. I told her, it was no problem, that I would rather they do a good job than hurry and not have a clean room. We left and went to my mom's to have lunch and visit. We returned around 4pm and check in to our room. Our intentions were to simply drop our luggage, then return to my mom's. The room smelled of bleach, so it was obvious that housekeeping had been there and the room had been "cleaned". We packed up all our electronics (laptops, etc.) to be taken with us, closed the door, checked to be sure the door was secure, and left. We returned at around 10pm to find our door open and the light on. WHAT THE...? I checked the room, there was no one in it. I called the front desk to inquire; he put me on hold to check with the housekeeping staff. I was told that housekeeping entered my room to check to be sure that we were equipped with the necessities - alarm clock, coffee maker, iron/ironing board, etc. I countered this with the notion that this should be done when the room is being prepared for the next guest. He said they do it then, and after the guest checks in. (Sorry, but this is NOT a customary practice) I also told him that in housekeeping's "checking" they forgot to supply us with the correct number of towels. He said he would bring some right over. When he did, I told him that I felt our safety had been compromised and that I would like to be moved to another room. He looked at me with hesitation and said, "Moved?" I couldn't believe that not only would he not offer that in the first place, but he had the audacity to question the notion. He did offer to give me new key cards, which I settled for, as well as knock $5 off our nightly rate. As I was putting the new card into the door, I noticed that our "non-smoking" room did not have a "non-smoking" placard on the front as the door next to us did. I thought this was interesting, but I'll return to this subject later. Read on... I told him we would not be needing any housekeeping services for the duration of our stay and we would turn in our used towels in the morning, and pick up new towels when we returned at night. He said he would make a note of that for our room.

Okay, so now it's time to turn in for the night. We locked the door with the deadbolt, but could not lock the hinge lock because it did not exist. Yes, that is right, it did not exist. We turn down our beds... one bed, was fitted with a flat sheet, not a fitted sheet. Aside from that, the bed was made fine. The other bed, however... I noticed the fitted sheet was almost popping off. I tried to bring it down so that it was on properly, but could not. It was on SO TIGHT but the sheet was too small so it didn't fit the mattress correctly. It was on inside out. Also, the proper way to make a bed is: fitted sheet, top sheet, blanket, coverlet. We've already discussed the fitted sheet, but the rest went: blanket, fitted sheet, coverlet. Where did they find these housekeepers? Geez. Because of the open door incident, my 13yo asked if she could sleep with me - she was scared to tears. My 15yo was up several times during the night checking the lock, looking out the peephole. She couldn't sleep because of the incident and was looking out for our safety.

Friday morning, I was the first to get into the shower. There was only a fabric shower curtain, no liner, so either the curtain gets soaked from being put on the inside of the tub, or the floor gets soaked from leaving the curtain outside the tub. I opted for inside - not my problem. As I'm taking my shower and the bathroom is steaming up, I start to smell the faintest hint of cigarette smoke. I thought, this is supposed to be a non-smoking room - maybe somebody is smoking outside, or there's connecting vents... My 13yo is next in the shower and when she's done, I ask her if the bathroom has a familiar smell (my in-laws are smokers and they smoke inside their house). She says "Grama's house", I asked her which grama, at which point she identified the smoking household. As my 15yo is getting ready, I open the shades (filled with tiny holes from bugs, I'm assuming) a tad to let in some natural light and realize the floor is not blue as I'd originally thought, but green, accented by black stains. I wanted to puke, then take another shower. When we left our room, we stopped by the front desk to turn in our used towels. I questioned the woman behind the counter (name: Candra) regarding the smoking status of our room. She checked the computer and assured me that it is a non-smoking room. I told her I thought that was interesting because it reeks like smoke. She assured me that anyone who smoked in that room was fined $300, but did not offer to move me to a new room. We left to go visit with my mother for the day.

I told my mom everything that had happened up until this time, and she told me I should request to be moved. I suggested that since she is paying for the room, perhaps she should come with me and help me with the situation since the staff did not seem too accommodating. She agreed, but said she'd like to see my room first before going to the staff. We entered the room and were hit with the smell; the bathroom was worse. My mom spoke with Candra at the front desk, who all of a sudden was very accommodating. She checked out an available room to be sure that all was good; she asked if we would like to see it before moving our stuff, which we did. We couldn't believe the difference in quality. We went to get our stuff and it was clear that our old room was definitely not a 'non-smoking' room. GrossGrossGross. We got our stuff moved, I signed a new agreement for our new room and that was that.

The rest of the time we were in the room was not bad - it even had a better shower than the other room, which was a plus - I didn't have to squat to get under the shower head! If we had ended on this note, I would not have given the motel a "terrible" rating (maybe just a "poor" instead) but on our last night, I stopped in to pick up clean towels and this is how it went:

Staff (with his cell phone up to his ear - 2nd occurance): We just gave the last of the clean towels to the guest who just check in, but there's some in the laundry, they'll be ready in 5 minutes and I'll bring them to you
Me: Okay
(10 minutes later, at our room)
Staff: I only have two towels, I had to take them from a clean room, I don't have keys to the laundry facility
Me: What am I supposed to do? We're three people.
Staff: The person with a key will be in at the front desk at 11:00pm
Me: 11:00! We'll be asleep!
Staff (shrugging): Sorry.

The final hurrah was when we'd packed up all our stuff and I pulled all the bedding off and put it in a pile on the bed to make sure something didn't get kicked under the bed and there was a cheerio sitting there next to the base of the bed. This tells me that the housekeepers are not thorough in their tasks, and even though our room appeared clean, it really was not.

Note: We were able to make it to the continental "breakfast" once in four days. The guy at the front desk said "I'll pull out more danishes in a moment" - more danishes constituted 4 danishes on a paper plate. He brought out a gallon of milk, but had to go get spoons so my daughter could eat her cereal. There was no fruit.

I have a hard time staying in a place like this just to save a buck. Next time, I'll pay the extra money to get good service and clean accommodations. The entire time we were here, there were no more than 6 vehicles in the parking lot and we stayed Thursday through Monday the weekend before New Years.

DON'T STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Room 141 is a non smoking room, it was mostly clean, free of carpet stains, everything worked. Ro...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
kuldeep k, Manager at Heritage Inn Express Roseville, responded to this review, October 15, 2014

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Again , I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly (916) 782-4466

kkaur@heritagehotelgroup.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Fremont California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Dog Pee spots on the floor, rug had not been vaccumed, Snot on bathroom wall. No regular coffee in the rooms. One towel for a double occupancy. Breakfast was toast no butter or Jam. Rugs worn. Would never stay at this place again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Roseville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

First they stick us right next to McDonald's where we can hear them half the night. The Internet does not work! Then they move us into a room that is dirty has dog/cat poop in the closet. Also not all the rooms have a fridge n microwave they will not bring us one even though told this morning they would. Do not waste your money on this hotel it's dirty and just a waste of money.

• Stayed October 2013

Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I am not very happy about this place. Furnitures are dirty, floor is disgusting, toilet in the front office smells so bad. The staff has attitude and rude. The manager Jay is not very helpful as well..They just charge you but never do their job well.I am not recommending this place and posting it to the social media.

Roseville ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Greedy people.System is so poor. Staff and manager does not do their job well.Place is a mess and dirty.Never that I will ever come back to this place and warning to all to look somewhere else.Furnitures are dusty and floors are disgust

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have stayed here three times and each time gets a little better and a little worse.

The rooms are supposed to be cleaned daily but on our last trip they were not. Missing lightbulbs and lack of complementary breakfast were confusing. I was told the breakfast was not being served because the dining room was being remodled - but that night there was a party going till late in the night.

Once we had a fridge. Once we had a microwave. And once we had neither.

The most frustrating thing was having our 8-year old neice with us for the night and having to wash her feet off before putting shoes and socks on her.

The carpet was filthy!! I may stay there again, but I strongly suggest the management get a checklist for the maids to go through each time they clean the room so nothing gets missed. And for heven's sake clean the carpets.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

We are always concerned when we do not exceed our guests' expectations. Since we did not accomplish this, we would like to provide you with a 50% discount during your next stay.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again I apologize for the inconvenience during you stay and hope to see you during your next visit.
Heritage Inn Roseville
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The room wasn't very clean (there were splotches of food on the ceiling and walls). We had to go to the front office and arrange for a desk in the room for our laptop. There was no table either.

The big room where they normally serve breakfast is being remodeled and is now a storage for unused furniture, so no breakfast. Not that I would have eaten it.

It seems like the new owner is making an attempt to spruce up the place, but it is very slow going. Everything was a bit tacky and old.

There were some creepy people sitting along the curb in the parking lot. The were obviously homeless, and drunk or high on something. The police moved them along, but then some others showed up.

I don't think I'd stay here again, but the price was right, and it's close to everything.

Heritage Inn Roseville
kkaur@heritagehotelgroup.com

Been to Heritage Inn Express Roseville? Share your experiences!