“Groupon Won't Bring Us Back but the Food Might” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #179 of 371 Restaurants in Roseville
Cuisines: Seafood
Roseville, California
“Groupon Won't Bring Us Back but the Food Might”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We got our money's worth on a Groupon coupon for Fins Market and Grill on Sierra College Blvd. in SE Roseville... but barely. The $24 coupon put two entrees on our table, preceded by a salad, followed by a dish of ice cream.

We'd never tried Fins, thus validating the purpose of the coupon. Other reviews made it sound good, and we were in the mood for a well-prepared fish dinner. Our wait person recommended the Caesar Salad as well as the Oreo Cookie chocolate ice cream dessert. The entree choices were up to us.

The way this works is based on the magic value: $17.95. You can order any entree up to that amount. Go over, and you pay the difference plus $3. Which makes no sense as it amounts to a penalty for using the coupon. About half of the entrees are priced $17.95 or less, while the best sounding ones (sea bass, salmon, swordfish) are in the penalty zone. Oddly, there are no discounts if you order something priced under $17.95.

Hard nosed and cheap as we are, my wife chose the clams in broth (14.95) while I went for the sampler (17.95) after hearing the "back story" from our wait person. The sampler includes grilled filets of snapper and catfish (I love fried catfish) as well as large grilled prawns. Side choices for both entrees included potato choice or veggie medley. My wife went for the spicy recooked mashed patties while I took the medley. Then we swapped halves.

Arriving on a square plate, the Caesar salad was excellent as far as it went. These were child-sized portions and they disappeared quickly, accompanied by pedestrian french bread and butter. Our outdoor table was missing salt and pepper, with no wait persons in sight. We ate all the salad sans pepper before our wait person appeared.

My entree was very good. The filets were properly grilled as were the shrimp. I'm guessing that the serving size was 7 - 8 oz total. The veggies were al dente and serving size was adequate. Matties Patties were also a tasty way of serving mashed potatoes.

Unfortunately, the clams were disappointing. There were plenty of them. However, they were so small (only a few larger than a quarter and that's the shell size) that the total offering could not have been more than a few ounces of actual clam. The tasty broth cried out for a pasta or rice. Alas, neither accompanied the broth. We asked for an received a second basket of bread to help bolster the offering.

The ice cream was the best part of the meal as it was a generous serving and very tasty. When the bill came, no surprises. I rate it as a fair deal. Had my wife order something other than the clams, it would have ranked as a very good deal.

My recommendation to Fins is to be less parsimonious about the menu. Increase the salad size and offer a cup of the chowder as an alternate. Then, pick up a Legal Seafood cookbook and learn how to turn several dozen tiny clams into a memorable dinner that'll bring customers back in. Finally, take the penalty off the deal. I would have gladly covered the difference but the penalty is just an unnecessary slap when your real objective is to build loyalty.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

When we arrived the restaurant was less than half full, which is a good sign that you'll get good quick service. Not here. The 3 waitress just couldn't keep up with the 6 tables of customers. The food itself was marginal and ended up giving me painful diarrhea, so no I won't be returning.

Visited June 2013
Fair Oaks, CA
“Service was good. Food was a little disappointing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We have been to Fin's many times and have always enjoyed the fresh seafood, especially the mussels. My husband and I had lunch there yesterday using a Groupon discount voucher. The menu items for the Groupon were somewhat limited but still acceptable. My husband had a cup of the New England clam chowder and the usual steamed mussels. The chowder was thick and tasty The mussels were small but nicely steamed in a wine garlic sauce and served with a slice of garlic toast. I had the crab tacos. The two tacos were served on soft flour tortillas with flaked crab, shredded mild cheddar cheese and shredded green and red cabbage with a mayo sauce. The tacos were a bit short on crab and the sauce was salty. Next time I'll order the fish tacos! Our Groupon included a dish of Tropical Dreams ice cream. I had the Brown Sugar flavor. It tasted like French vanilla and my husband's mint chip was just ordinary. Our server was efficient, pleasant and helpful. We were disappointed that the food was not up to the standard we expected. And, we will return to Fin's for lunch, perhaps at another location.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Clinton, Washington
“Bloody experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is my 2nd time to Fins Roseville, but unlike the first, which was nice, this turned out to be a bad experience, and loss of appetite. First, they ran out of Manhattan chowder, second, the waiter served the New England chowder to the people in my party but failed to bring mine. Next, he brought me the wrong salad dressing. I requested oil and vinegar, he gave me a ranch dressing. Lastly, he served my son-in-law a salad that looked like blood on the lip of the salad plate. We asked if it was blood and he said yes, apologized, and took it away. This ruined our appetite! We barely ate our meal. Since we used a Groupon coupon, we asked for a refund. The waiter said he could not refund us, nor could he get hold of the owner, and where was the manager? To make things worse, the waiter took the Groupon, told us he would not charge us for the meal, (It's a Groupon, meal already paid, hello?), wrote his name on it, then smeared the paper with his bloody finger, and circled it. This infuriated my son-in-law to the max that he flung his boxed meal over the counter, and we walked out.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
SUMMERFIELD, FL
“GREAT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We went with my daughter, her boyfriend, and grand daughter. We all had the combo platter which was great. The fish was cooked perfectly. Everyone commented how good the quality,and preparation was. We would definitely return the next time we go to California.

• 5 of 5 stars Food