“Disappointing salads” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 371 Restaurants in Roseville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Roseville Parkway
Description: Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Kirkland, Washington
“Disappointing salads”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Whenever I'm in the Sacramento area, I never miss lunch or dinner at Il Fornaio. This time was disappointing. The pasta, Cappellacci di Zucca (butternut squash with walnuts) was wonderful, as was the bread.

But, the two salads were UNfresh! The Caprese (vine-ripened tomatoes with mozzarella and basil) had tomatoes that were 2-3 days past fresh (mealy insides). I was shocked, as the tomatoes are the main part of this salad. The Insalata al Balsamico (organic baby lettuces) was served with all of the old, yellow, innermost parts of the lettuce. There is no excuse for unfresh salads--this is California, and there are probably many farms within a couple miles of this restaurant. When I mentioned this to the server, she did not bother to apologize or adjust the bill.
Management needs to have a serious talk with their salad people and a meeting on proper customer service with the staff.

Hopefully, this restaurant is not going downhill.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Lincoln, California
“Dining experience at Il Fornaio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Il fornaio is one of our favorite restaurants in this area. Excellent service and food choices. We were disappointed on this visit as no veal or mashed potatoes were available. We have always had excellent service by the staff.

• Visited June 2013
Meadow Vista, California
“Well Handled Fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

For lunch I chose Salmon. I'm reluctant to order Salmon because of it's tendency to be dry if overcooked, but the Lemon-Celery sauce intrigued me. I was impressed by the sauce and the moist piece of properly done Salmon that arrived. Kudos to the chef. One companion had Ravioli, another Steak. everything arrived as ordered and well prepared. Everyone was impressed with their meal. Service was good, servers were competent and polite. I've got to remember to go back more often.

Auburn, California
“Great Place For A Luncheon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We picked this restaurant because it was # 1 Italian in Roseville on Trip Advisor. They were very helpful in setting up a luncheon for our son who just graduated from Cal Berkeley. We had 26 guests and everyone had a great time. The meal and service was well above average.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saratoga, CA
“Best restaurant in Roseville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My tennis team spent three days in Roseville because of a USTA league tennis event. We ate twice at Il Fornaio. I've been to Roseville a lot, and in my mind, there's no question that Il Fornaio is the best restaurant in the city. The service each time was great. My friend and I arrived a few minutes before the reservation, and as we waited at the bar's edge while the rest of the group trickled in, a couple of servers stopped by to ask if we needed anything. We said we didn't, but she still brought us a glass of ice water. The same attitude permeated the rest of the wait staff both nights: whatever they could think of to make our visit better, they did it whether we requested it or not.

On top of that, the food was really well prepared. We had cocktails and ordered off the wine list too. The prices were reasonable and there were some pretty interesting wines on the list. The menu has all kinds of choices, whether you want fish, some other kind of meat, or pasta. Everyone agreed it is probably Roseville's best.