“Steak Sandwich best, Clam Chowder worst” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sunrise
Orangevale
“Steak Sandwich best, Clam Chowder worst”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was our first visit, but won't be our last. We visited at lunchtime. It wasn't busy. We initially ordered the clam chowder. The waitress assured us that it was indeed homemade and very popular. No question that it was made in-house. It was positively the worst clam chowder that I have ever had. It was promptly sent back by both of us.

However, the restaurant somewhat redeemed itself with the steak sandwich. It was outstanding. My friend had another soup which she seemed to like. We will try the food again in January.

• Visited December 2012

Citrus Heights, California
“Great restaurant for a celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have had dinner, at Suede Blue, several times in the past few years. The ambiance is very nice, attractive, but not stuffy. Great fireplace. Happy hour is not to be missed. Servers have always been the best. The menu has a variety of exquisite dishes and I have never had a meal that I did not thoroughly enjoy. Have clebrated a few birthdays and anniversaries there and the experience has always been outstanding. The restaurant now serves lunch, too, and look forward to testing that menu sometime soon.

• Visited November 2012
Roseville, California
“Great food and service...empty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Went to Suede Blue last night with another couple and had a very nice dinner. I really like the Seafood here...actually prefer it over McCormick and Schmicks. Halibut with Wasabi mashers was great. Appetizers were very good. Wine list could be better. Service was very good.

The most surprising thing last night was how empty it was. Friday night at 7:00pm, saw 4 people in the bar and 3 other tables in the dining room. When we left at about 9pm, I think there was one other diner and only 2 people left in the bar. Maybe Roseville has too many restaurants for the state of the economy. I remember when this was Carvers and it was packed on Friday nights. There are so may good choices for fine dining now. I really hope that this restaurant is able to survive.

1 Thank FRW99
“So so”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

They did not have the bottle of champagne we wanted $38, so the next was $80... no discount for being out of stock or anything.

My beef wellington ordered medium to medium rare was cooked ok for half of the steak and raw on the other half, not top down, side to side. Not sure how they did that but it was not good.

The Creme Brulee was warm on top and cold on the bottom... again not so good.

My wife's crab stuffed shrimp were overcooked.

The Brie was good, but that is a little hard to mess up.

Won't be back

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
Roseville, California
“Overpriced poor food at Suede Blue”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I'm not talking about the happy hour-I'm talking about dinner with another couple. Service was dreadful. The server took forever to come over to our table once we were seated. We asked the server several questions about the wines on the list. At least he was honest enough to tell us that he didn't know anything about them. Goodness, an upscale restaurant promotes wine but doesn't teach its waiters about them.

We all ordered steak which took forever to come. As our too honest waiter admitted, the steaks were grossly overcooked by the kitchen, and they had to cook new ones. Too much information. Unfortunately, although the steaks were at the temperatures we ordered, they were rather tasteless.

Nothing in this restaurant is inexpensive, but the quality of the food itself isn't very good. The ambience is pleasant, but the waitstaff is poorly trained although earnest. Honestly, I wouldn't come back here again.

• Visited September 2012