“Lots of Panache but Food is So-So” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 371 restaurants in Roseville
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Roseville, California
“Lots of Panache but Food is So-So”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We've driven by many times and wondered why there was always a crowd outside waiting for tables. Had to be a really good place, right?

So, passing by around 5pm on Friday afternoon, we decided to earlybird our dinner because no one was waiting. Well, that was mistake #1. We sat for 15 minutes before out LED pager blinked.

Once seated, the wait staff was excellent and helpful. They should have been in the kitchen, as the food proved to be a little disappointing. First our starter of onion strings turned out greasy and the onion flavor was hard to find (although it looked delicious). My hefeweizen pint was poor -- no head at all. Although the menu didn't say who made it, I suspect it was a Widmer, which I avoid when I know. The Biersch hefe served across the street at the Galleria is the real deal. Should have gone there as the food is also a lot better.

I had Mahi fish tacos that had to eaten with a knife and fork because they were single wrapped and simply fell apart after adding some sauce. They were also bland -- which the sauce fixed. The plate includes some triangular torilla chips and two small dips - red and guac green. These dips were the most flavorful thing on my plate.

My partner ordered a chicken breast dish that was pretty good, and generous. It earned 4 stars. But the rest of the meal had trouble getting to 3 stars.

By the time we left, the place was hopping and we waded through a crowd diners outside the front door. Most had kids with them and maybe this explains the crowd. It's a vast place, set up for families, groups, couples etc. Service is prompt. If we go another time, we'll try something else to see if we can do better than 3 stars.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Gilbert, Arizona
“Disappointing and Not Up to Usual BJ's Standards!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We usually love BJ's - we go to one near where we live in Arizona. This BJ's in Roseville, CA, unfortunately did not live up to the BJ standards to which we're accustomed. I'm rating this average because my meal was OK, but my husband's was horrible!

As I mentioned, my meal was fine;the Parmesan-encrusted chicken (even though they were a little stingy with the sauce). But my husband's meal, the pot roast sandwich, was a disaster! The meat was fatty, there was very little gravy, and ALL of the vegetables were literally uncooked! The onions and carrots were raw. My husband hates to complain in a restaurant, even when something is really bad, so he sat there and crunched those raw carrots and munched down the fatty meat. I think he was so hungry (the friends we visited are vegetarians) that he just figured something is better than nothing.

My husband was so looking forward to a hearty, delicious meal and was disappointed all the way around/

Visited May 2013
Rocklin, California
“THE PLACE TO DINE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We arrived early and by noon, the restaurant was packed. Service very good and very attentive. Food was fresh, very good, especially the Chicken Teriyaki. Staff appears happy and has a good sense of humor. You can't go wrong here, as evidenced by the number of diners!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Large Portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Come hungry 'cause the portions are very large. Plenty of attention from the wait-staff. Lots of food choices. A good place to eat.

Visited April 2013
Chico, California
“Poor service, poor food, poor management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I visited BJ's for the first time for my future daughter in laws bachelorette party. We were told we couldn't make reservations but could call 30 minutes ahead. When we did, we were told no call ahead seating, we should of made a reservation. The manager did nothing to accommodate us, he was very errogant. I ordered my steak rare and it arrived well done. When I sent it back, they returned with a steak so raw, I couldn't cut it. They didn't comp my meal, or even try to fix it. We told them it was a special occasion, and they didn't even acknowledge it. My first experience will be my last. The hostesses and wait staff were unprofessional and rude. They acted like it was our fault.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere