“Dangerous Area & Druggies In the Motel” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Riverside
San Luis Obispo, CA
“Dangerous Area & Druggies In the Motel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

I had to stay in this motel while traveling for work, alone, and I have never been so scared. First, when I checked in there was a scene going on in the lobby with a couple who was obviously loaded on drugs and who were trying to convince the clerk to let them stay another night even though they didn't have any money. The motel clerk was clearly shaken up and said "OMG" to me. Even though the rooms are pretty nice, it is relatively inexpensive, and I saw a number of drug people living in the motel. When I went to check out, one was standing in the parking lot, smoking, no shirt, cornrows, and stared at me from behind some bushes the entire time I was loading stuff into my car. It was terrifying.

This area is completely unsafe - it is surrounded by "projects" and there are crowds of druggies standing on the street at night waving their arms around and yelling. I ventured to the Rite Aid early in the evening (1 block from motel), and thought it would be OK because there were security guards with golf carts chasing the druggies out of the parking lot. I parked right in front of the front door, and thought I could just run in and out. However, when I walked out the door one of them had been hiding behind the pillar and jumped out at me as I passed, saying something and coming at me as I jumped into the car.

My advice is do not go to Riverside, it is not worth risking your life.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

Stayed here for one night and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is semi-walkable from the Amtrak station (~1.5miles) and less than 0.5 miles from the UC Riverside campus. Location right next to the Marriot. There are several good restaurants in walking distance, as well as a Food4Less grocery store around the block. Very quiet. Very affordable. Very comfortable bed. Vigorous shower pressure. Good breakfast with boiled eggs, bananas, apples,...
Tip: if you have lots of luggage, ask for a room on the 1st floor, as there is no elevator at this property.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
beckley wv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for about 5 days. The front desk staff was excellent. We were unable to fly to Atlanta, Ga, due to the weather. When our flight was cancelled, we decided to go back to Riverside and stay, instead of staying in LA. We were treated wonderful, and the front desk staff was very accomodating of our needs. The rooms were very clean and the location was great. My hat is off to the staff of Comfort Inn in Riverside. I don't know the young man's name that checked us in that morning, but he is a godsend. Thanks again for making us feel at home.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Eastham, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

The lobby was a fun place to be on a Friday night; a guitarist was entertaining, basketball was on, and 3 types of pizza, lemonade, and coffee were served. The wireless in the room didn't work so I went to the desk to get a plug in but decided to use the wireless set up in the lobby that worked, and was very pleasant rather than solo in the room.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Palm Desert, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

My home away from home for 2 nights a week last fall due to my work. Sure it's not located in a resort area or out in the country (it's in the city, get a grip!), but I found the staff friendly, professional and responsive to my needs; the rooms (complete with microwave and refrigerator) comfortable, the beds 'heavenly' (yes...really), and the breakfast convenient and varied.

• Liked — Value for the money, responsiveness of staff, and those heavenly beds...
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CIRiverside, Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, July 16, 2009
Excuse the delay in responding as we just learned this feature. Your comments about our hotel and staff are most appreciated. We strive to be friendly and help all our guests and glad that we provided you with the service you needed.
Bradenton, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

Bottom line...I've stayed at worse hotels, but I've also stayed at much better hotels for less. Having arrived in Riverside after just staying at the MGM Grand in Vegas, I'll admit I was a tad spoiled. For the rate I paid, however, I was expecting a little better out of a Choice Hotels property.

For starters, my brother was staying with me and noticed a little mold in the bathroom. We didn't really say anything about it only because my brother was more concerned about simply having a place sleep at night. One other thing we noticed is the lack of electrical outlets we were able to use to charge cell phones, electric razors, laptops, etc. It seemed like all but one outlet was covered by furniture. To use the iron that was provided, we had to unplug either a lamp or the alarm clock in the front corner of the room.

The beds were comfortable enough, but it seemed like the mattress covers came off a little too easily. If you toss and turn at night, I guarantee that your cover will be halfway off the mattress in the morning.

It's also worth mentioning that a tip experienced travelers give advising you to wear a pair of flip flops when you're in a hotel room certainly applies to this property. I forgot to bring flip flops on this trip, and when I got ready to take a shower on my first morning here, I noticed the bottom of my feet were almost completely black. Needless to say, I found this relatively nasty.

If your travels ever take you to Riverside, I would strongly recommend staying at the Courtyard by Marriott (1510 University Ave) as opposed to this particular Comfort Inn.

Stayed February 2007
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2006

We were warned that this end of University Ave was dangerous, with shootings. As out of towners, we didn't know what to expect, but it was just like any big city location. We found the staff uniformly polite and professional, the location just fine, the room well-maintained and safe, and the (mildly heated) pool clean. It was a good deal for the price and never did we feel unsafe or disappointed.

Free breakfasts add to the deal - toast your own bagels and make your own waffles, with coffees and juices. Great for families. We'd stay again.

Stayed November 2006

Been to Comfort Inn University? Share your experiences!