“Good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Riverside
Riverside, California
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The hotel is overall good value. Free hot breakfast is excellent.
However, the AC in the room is somehow noisy.
The room is clean and large, nothing special.
Staff is friendly but sometimes not in the front desk. I have to wait 20 mins until he comes back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
CIRiverside, General Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I'd like to thank you for providing such positive feedback on your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear that your overall stay was a pleasant one. If possible, I'd love talk with you to get some more details on your stay. This will help me better understand and resolve the few problems you encountered. I can reached via email: daniel [at] comfortinnriverside.com or by telephone: 951-683-6000. I hope to speak with you soon!

Daniel Yoon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
HERMITAGE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The first thing I noticed when we pulled up to this hotel was the enormous empty space adjoining the parking lot. When I walked into the lobby to check in a man walked up to me and asked me for money. The desk clerk said and did nothing. She then proceeded to answer the phone that was ringing. Once she hung up I attempted to tell her that I was checking in, but she turned away from me to answer the phone again. Eventually I had to interrupt her because I wanted to actually get out of the lobby, which smelled odd, and check in. To say she was rude would be an understatement.

Our room was ok. The furnishings and bedding were industrial looking. We were here for synchronized swimming nationals so our priority was a clean room with a bed, shower and a high functioning a/c unit. The room was stuffy but cooled off fairly quickly.

We went out to eat at a great Mexican restaurant, pulled up at our hotel and discovered that the huge empty space next to our parking lot was being used as a truck stop! Nothing like looking out of your window to see huge trucks. Definitely not good for light sleepers like myself.

The breakfast buffet was basic. The coffee was awful and there wasn't enough seating in the dining area. A new desk clerk was on duty and was super friendly. She filled our portable coolers with ice and suggested some local spots for food and coffee.

The temperature during our trip was 97-107 during the day. We were happy to use the pool, but the water was cloudy and had lots of hair floating in it.

On our 3rd night, while we were doing hair and waiting for room service, a 4" bug crawled out from behind the curtain and went up the wall. Everyone in our room started screaming. I pressed "0" to try to get someone to kill the fastest moving bug any of us had ever seen. At this hotel "0" connected me to another guest's room and she said she wasn't coming to help! Our next door neighbors came over to complain about the yelling, saw the bug and ran back to their room. A man from the office, Jesus, came to our room because of noise complaints and jumped back when he saw - what we were told was a flying cockroach - jump across the room and land on another wall. Jesus killed it and checked our room for more bugs. Thankfully he didn't find any. From that point on shower shoes were mandatory as was keeping our bags closed tight and some of possessions being stored in the trunk of our rental car. No one was really hungry after that.

The next day we came back to the hotel to discover the cleaning lady had our door propped open. I told her about the bug and asked her to keep the door closed. She didn't speak any English and kept reopening the door. Even after seeing our room cleaned it still didn't smell clean. I don't know if it was a dirty rag or the brand of cleaning supplies, but something was musty/stale. We later discovered more mega bugs on the stairs, on the wall of the laundry room and in other guestrooms. Perhaps the propped open doors were to blame.

If I hadn't prepaid for our room, I would have checked out and paid for a room in the Marriott next door.

Room Tip: Choose a room as far away from the truck stop as you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CIRiverside, General Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Janeen,

I'd like to start off by thanking you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. It disappoints me to hear of the problems you experienced and I'd like to sincerely apologize that your stay was not up to par. I aim to provide all of my guests a great overall experience, so they feel comfortable staying with us again. I have taken note of all your comments and will be addressing the issues with the proper department heads and companies we work with. I can assure you that customer service will be the first issue that I will be addressing. My goal is to not only provide great service, but to provide is consistently throughout our guests stay. Because of your valuable feedback, I will be able to make improvements to better accommodate our future guests. If you have any further questions, concerns, or comments, I would love to discuss them with you. I can be reached by calling the hotel phone number at 951-683-6000 or via email at daniel[at]comfortinnriverside.com

Lufkin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

When I made a reservation at this hotel, I didn't realize that it had doors that open out to a noisy parking lot. As a woman traveling alone on this trip, I did not feel very safe! The room was clean, but it had a funny smell that I couldn't identify. When I went down to the lobby, I realized that it had the same smell. Breakfast was good, not great! Powdered, watery eggs, and no microwave to heat up the cold breakfast rolls.

If the staff sees this, it would be a good thing to get a power washer and wash down the walkways, stairs, etc. They were pretty nasty.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
CIRiverside, General Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us. Although your stay wasn't excellent, I do appreciate you providing us with details on how the property could improve. Feedback like yours is very important as it tells us what we're doing right and what we could improve on. I hope you consider staying with us again if you find yourself in the Riverside area.

Happy Travels,

Leavenworth, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I HAVE CAME BACK TO STAY AT THIS PROPERTY 6 TIMES NOW! I have always been more than completely satisfied with the management and house keeping along with the free breakfast daily and the super fast wireless internet also free. the gym is nice and very good pool is clean and best part is there is a no fee late check out when ever you want for departing at 2pm no hassles no in room excessive phone calls none what so ever. this might cost you another 10 bucks but you will be beyond happy that you did! I highly recommend this property. the rooms are modern and absolutly spotless carpets are clean and no shoes needed while walking about and your vehicle and belongings are safe and secure no riff raft here. thanks for a pleasant stay once again.

Best Regards,
Thomas Nelson

Room Tip: all the rooms with king beds have big flat screen tvs and refrigerators and microwaves along with ir...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CIRiverside, General Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Thomas,

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to leave such a nice review. Your feedback is GREATLY appreciated and I'm thrilled that you've continued to choose us for your lodging needs. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks again and hope to meet with you the next time you check in!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Was a nice stay. Spent one night there nice facility and nice rooms. Staff was friendly and good location. Bunch of places to eat all within walking distance fo the hotel. Very quiet at night. Would stay again

• Stayed May 2012
CIRiverside, General Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you very much for the kind words and taking the time out of your schedule to leave a review! If you find yourself in Riverside again, please don't hesitate to give us a call. We'll make sure your stay is even better than the last.

Happy Travels,

Wickenburg, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I was very pleased with this location to visit my son at UCR. They had an attentive staff, clean room with handy amenities like a small fridge and microwave. The breakfast was definitely hearty enough to keep us going into the day, including hot items, waffles, etc. The location was close to the campus. My only complaint would be that the bathroom fixtures are awkward and uncomfortable. Not sure what else I would want and I do plan on staying there again.

Room Tip: They do have smoking rooms if you are so inclined. The rooms facing the east are blinding in the mor...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
CIRiverside, General Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
I really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to leave a review. We cater to a lot of UCR students, parents, and faculty, so it's great to hear you had such a pleasant experience. If you have any questions or would like to make reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me at: daniel[at]comfortinnriverside.com

Thank you again for staying with us and hope to see you soon.

Avalon Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

A group of us stayed at this hotel for the weekend of November 3rd. The person that was at the counter was fantastic, my family are Oregon Ducks fans so we wanted a place to watch the game on Saturday afternoon and the front desk person was so nice about it and let us watch in the lobby turned out he was a SCU trojan fan and was enjoying the game too. He was great we just didnt get his name. So far Everything was good but there was only one issue , there was a couple fighting next door to us and we could hear everything at 3am .. but than again I work for a hotel that the walls are bout the same paper thin walls. What i loved about the most was that you could make your own waffle!! IF we come back again to riverside we are definitely staying at this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
CIRiverside, General Manager at Comfort Inn University, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Comfort Inn Riverside for your recent stay. I apologize on behalf of the noise issue you experienced. If for any reason you encounter this problem, at our hotel or another, please do not hesistate to call the front desk. We have a 24 hour desk, so whoever is on duty can immediately attempt to resolve the issue.

I'm glad you had an overall enjoyable experience. I believe the front desk agent you spoke with was Matt, so I will let him know of your kind words! Our breakfast is definitely one of our most memorable amenities. All Comfort Inns offer a delicious waffle station, so keep that in mind the next time you travel!

Daniel Yoon

Been to Comfort Inn University? Share your experiences!