“Nice hotel in bad neighborhood” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Riverside
Carrollton, Texas
“Nice hotel in bad neighborhood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Once you get inside the hotel it is decent. More of a courtyard feel than a regular Marriott. Walking distance to restaurants/bars.
The problem is the outside, walking to the garage in the morning almost tripped over a homeless person in the parking garage. The CVS and Starbucks across the street are full of homeless begging for money. I do not recommend walking around without another person.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Eureka,CA.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights and 4 days for a convention ,had good time the food in the hotel was ok but over priced, after one day of that I explored the little restaraunts just a block or two from the hotel and found that it was alot better priced. The beds were on the hard side and the rooms walls were so thin i think they had only one side to them, heard everything the couple next door was doing... the cleaning crew did a good job but failed to close my door all the way after cleaning, the room smelled like smoke at one time during my stay ,thinking it came though the AC vent.Nothing special no wow factor, but I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Saint Charles, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I called down to the front desk the night before my check out to extend my stay and they said it would be no problem, but seemed not to be the case.

First I return around noon from my meeting and find my door slightly open from the cleaning crew, luckily nothing was taken from the room. The cleaning crew had stopped by and not tended to the room because my belongings were there and they did not get the message i had extended my stay. Few minutes after I got back to the room, someone stopped by to see why I had not checked out. I let them know I called the night before to extend and they said no problem and would take care of it.

Next I return from my meeting and find that my room key does not work. Went to the front desk to find out that they still have not extended my stay only because I booked the room through Travelocity and could not tell the room rate i booked at. This is at about 4:00 and STILL the room was not taken care of.

The rest listed below are just what you would expect at MOST hotels for FREE:
WiFi - $13/day??? Really??? (Free at MOST hotels)
Breakfast - $15 for a continental breakfast you would receive for free at most other hotels.
Parking - $8

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Nashua, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Because I am a Marriott Reward member, I try to stay at Marriott Hotels. I would not stay here ever again. First of all, once again arriving late at night as a solo female traveler, I did not feel safe at all. There is a multi-level parking garage which is easily accessible from the opposite side of the street from anyone who passes by. The garage and hotel are in a very rough neighborhood so this did not make me feel good at all. When I checked in the staff was friendly and efficient. But I got to my room, which is very dated; and in fact, the linens are not even the quality of what you find in the Courtyard brands. The sheets and comfortable were awful. The only provided one bath towel and the decor was also dated. Additionally it is right on a busy street so you can hear the traffic even on the highest floor. I wondered over to the CVS in the morning and even in broad daylight I did not feel comfortable. If you are a woman traveling alone, I would NOT recommend staying here. This is not one of Marriott's nicer properties.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

To say that you should expect a regular room with average amenities in Riverside, California is an understatement. That said, you should never expect that when you are staying at a Marriott. This hotel needs a name change to one of the chain's lower ranking businesses.

The room was just ok.

The bed, though clean, had stiff sheets with an uncomfortable pillow.

The shower was adequate, but even though we waited for the room to be ready till 5p, that specific room to which extra towels were promised, had only two towels.

I believe that management, in the idea that the hotel is in riverside, has become complacent and left the hotel to be just a slightly below average Marriott.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

I have a lot to say about my stay here, to sum it up: This is the worst location, service, staff, and overall hotel experience of the hundreds of hotels I have stayed with.

About me:
I am a seasoned traveler, having spent hundreds nights at hotels in New York City, San Francisco, Miami, Las Vegas, London, Paris, Spain (all over), Morocco, China (many times), Switzerland, and more over the past 20 years.

I am a big believer in Karma and that justice and fairness will always even out. My expectations are always extremely reasonable, I am never the person to go out of the way to expect the world or ask for more than what was promised.

My Story:
Who I was with: For this trip I came with my girlfriend. Her two friends were staying at a different location nearby and came to the room before to carpool over to the event.

Location: The location of this hotel is very remote. There are complete commercial scale farms less than a mile from this location.

Parking: Having so much raw land around the area of this hotel would typically imply that parking would be easy. Sadly, it is not... the only place that you may park near the hotel is in their paid parking garage. Parking is extremely overpriced at 10$ per day, the vast majority of hotels (including all of the others I have stayed at in the area) offer free parking to all of their customers and guests.

Why I was Here: I booked online to stay here for an event at the NOS events center at San Bernardino. I had stayed at several other hotels in the area for other events at the NOS and their service was excellent and their employees had always been respectful(I will mention these other hotels below) as it has always been with my other hotel stays. For this event I ran into the unfortunate circumstances of booking last minute and finding that my preferred hotels had already been booked for the large event.

Service & Check-In:
The service was poor. I arrived at 1pm for checkin and they were both severely understaffed and under-trained... There were 10 people in line to check in and there were at least 20 others waiting around the crowded lobby as their group members checked in. There was not even enough seating in the lobby to accommodate all of the waiting guests so most were forced to stand with their luggage in their respective parties in the crowded corners of the lobby, luckily my girlfriend was waiting alone so she could squeeze on the end of a bench which was being used by a different party. They knew there was a high occupancy rate that night and they were clearly not prepared for it whatsoever. Once I got in line it moved slowly and the process of me checking in totaled one hour. I spent 45 minutes in line and 15 minutes waiting for her to check me in(I watched her look at a screen of squares for a little bit, go to the back room, and come back several times only to select one of the squares and hand me my key). This is by far the longest I had ever had to wait at any hotel to check in. It was sad and embarrassing for the hotel.

The Room and Amenities:
The room was similar to most bottom tier motels and inns. The bed was uncomfortable and the furniture was that same lineup of plastic-looking junk that no person would ever furnish their home with. Most of the furnishing was at least fairly new, so i figure it had to be clean.

What Happened:
My story gets even worse. After waiting an hour in the checkin for my overpriced extremely mediocre room and finding out about the overpriced parking, the hotel had charged me a completely fabricated smoking charge of $200.00.
I called to complain and was brought to the accounting department. The accounting department sent me off to the hotel manager ( Karmina Valdez -- The face of this awful establishment ). Karmina, the same person who spent 15 minutes checking me into my hotel room which I had paid for ahead of time.
When we got on the phone I was very polite and told her that I had just found out that I had been given a smoking charge, that I didn’t smoke in the room(I am a non-smoker and so is my girlfriend), and that I would like to dispute the charge. She responded by telling me that they “don’t just make these charges randomly, [they] only charge when there is evidence.” She said there was photo evidence of smoking occurring in the room. I waited as she found the photos on her computer, as she was looking at them (clearly for the first time), she says “oh, here it is, I see [the evidence]”. I informed her that it wasn’t possible that there was any evidence since we did not smoke. She followed up by emailing me pictures which were suppose to be evidence. She sent me six pictures, each picture had the room phone in the picture to provide the room number. Three of the pictures she sent were taken in a different room, these photos had ashes in them. The other three photos were from my room and showed a small pile of unburned tobacco (brown not white/black). I let her know that there was no smoking in the room I was in. One of my girlfriends friends had rolled a cigarette in the room and thrown a small amount which remained. This is an outrageous charge to have made, Karmina followed up by saying the room (which she never smelled or was in) smelled heavily of tobacco and that the charge would have to stand.
This is a false accusation, made up by Karmina, used in order to stick an outrageous $200.00 smoking fee on a room that was never smoked in.

Now looking back to my about me, where I state “I am a big believer in Karma and that justice and fairness will always even out”. This is where all of you come in. I am asking you to use my story as a testimate to the poor quality of this establishment. This is your time to shine and bring justice to these crooks by exercising your right to choose. Please protect yourself from fraudulent charges and a generally poor hotel experience.

TO ALL THOSE BRAVE ENOUGH TO BOOK THIS HOTEL: Do not forget that you have been warned when the poor service and criminal activity of this organization negatively impacts you or your family hotel experience.

Other Hotels in the Area I have had a great experience with:
Americas Best Value Inn (4045 University Ave)-- Great place! Very nearby, the rooms are extremely nice and very fairly priced. Don’t let the term “Inn” fool you, this is a very high quality establishment with friendly staff and new amenities.
Comfort Inn (1590 University Ave) – A few blocks away -- This place really stepped above my expectations based on my stays at other Comfort Inn locations. This is a great value if you are looking for a well priced option
Comfort Inn 2 (450 North Sperry Drive, Colton, CA) – This is a few miles north of the Marriott Riverside. This place is brand new, built in late 2010. I felt like I was dealing with somebody who actually cared when speaking with the hotel staff and the beds were extremely comfortable. The basic room came with a 32” TV which was unexpected. The rooms are also priced extremely well!

Any Hotel will offer you a better experience than the Marriott Riverside, please take another look at other hotels nearby before booking your stay at this awful establishment.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Tom D, General Manager at Marriott Riverside at the Convention Center, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am saddened to hear that your stay did not meet the high standard we set for our associates to ensure our guests receive the utmost quality in service while staying with us in historic downtown Riverside. I apologize for the issues you experienced and hope we may have the opportunity to earn back your patronage, as these issues have been addressed and corrected with my staff. Please feel free to contact me personally if you have any questions or would like to make a future reservation. Tom Donahue, General Manager 951-784- 8000
Fes, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Sweet suite. Very comfy - more luxury than a simple girl could need. Also, I just want to mention as a photographer, I appreciate the B&W photo prints they always have in their rooms. Very tasteful...and even exudes traces of romanticism. Cool, social scene at the bar area in the lobby; beautiful open lobby area. Although this hotel is aesthetic and comfortable, I'd have to say that my stay was so pleasant just for its amazing staff. For one, as I tried to figure out how to use the computer in their very small business lounge, F&B staff, Rick came out and went the extra mile to assist me. It isn't something related to his department but he attempted to assist me with my needs the best he could....even so much so that he came up to the Concierge lounge on the 12th floor to follow up and check that I could get online. Thank you Rick! Next, Maria in the concierge lounge has to be the most friendly woman in Riverside. She even let me stay an hour past closing because I had so much work to do....she said she still had to clean up. I adore that woman! Then Luke from the kitchen sent up my room service and he was jovial, friendly and we even conversed for a minute on motorcycles. Really nice guy. The only thing is maybe the food could use some improvement...I ordered soup (beef vegetable) that was so salty. I hope the hotel becomes more health conscious with their foods in regards to additives. But I so appreciate the 5-star friendliness and hope these employees are recognized for their naturally warm personalities. Hope to see everyone again! Thank you!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Riverside at the Convention Center? Share your experiences!