“Mexican Restaurant with AMAZING food & great atmosphere.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 616 restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: Mexican
Colton, California
“Mexican Restaurant with AMAZING food & great atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Let me start by saying... BEST CHIPS & SALSA EVER!!!! The chips are always freshly made and the chunky salsa is very flavorful (on the mild side). My husband & I finished college in Riverside 8 years ago. During our time living in Riverside, we went to Don Jose's WEEKLY(sometimes tri-weekly for me, because I worked down the street). We now have 2 kids and live 30 minutes away. Don Jose's is now a family favorite for all of us. We only go once a month now because of the distance.

THE FOOD: Most restaurants I go to, I know exactly what I'm going to get and I don't branch out much. Don Jose's is one of the few restaurants where I have ordered SO many things because I trust that it will be delicious. My absolute favorite menu item is the Rafael's special-- 2 shredded beef (or chicken) flautas covered in a delicious relleno sauce and smothered in cheese, with beans and rice. I have SO many friends and family hooked on this dish now... it is THAT good. If you save room for dessert, the fried ice cream is amazing.

THE ATMOSPHERE: Don Jose's has a universal mexican themed atmosphere that is both family friendly and couples cozy at the same time. I've noticed that they tend to sit families with babies in a separate section which was very nice when our kids were that age. They also have accomodating areas for large parties.

THE SERVICE: The Don Jose's staff does a good job at seating guests quickly and immediately providing the amazing chips & salsa. They even have employees whose main job is to walk around and make sure you still have chips & salsa. A large portion of the waitstaff has worked there for years and years. They know what they are doing, are always respectful and quick to accomodate any requests.

EXTRAS: Don Jose's has a "coupon club" where you fill out your family members' birthdays/ anniversary and they mail you a BOGO coupon (with purchase of 2 drinks) for the month of each occasion, in addition to every major holiday month.

TO SUM IT UP: Fantastic food, priced right, served efficiently

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
“Good Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Food was very good. Service was also very good especially considering how busy they were the night of our visit.
My grilled fish tacos were well cooked, thick pieces of fish nicely garnished.
My tequila aperitif hit the spot and was reasonably priced.
Good food, service and value.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Santa Rosa, California
“Nice Place for a quick meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good, reasonably priced mexican food. Can be a bit busy on the weekend evenings, but overall good food!

Visited October 2012
San Clemente
“STILL THE BEST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I grew up in Riverside, and when I got married I moved to San Clemente. We still make trips back to Riverside, through Orange County Traffic, just to eat at Don Jose's!! I would recommend this place to anyone traveling to the greater Riverside Area.

Visited August 2011
Deerfield Beach, Florida
“Outstanding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We enjoy a LOT of Tex-Mex food so the bar is set pretty high but this place was up to the challenge. The food was delicious, the portions were generous, the staff was courteous and the service was great. We had been before on our last visit and I'm pleased to see the quality has not declined. Seafood enchiladas were "muy beuno" as was the carnitas and the shrimp tacos. They are very generous with the salsa and tortilla chips and the margaritas are reasonable and refreshing.
This place is a favorite of ours. I wish they had these back east.

• Visited June 2012