“5 start dining in a strip mall!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #63 of 573 Restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: Pacific Rim
Riverside, California
“5 start dining in a strip mall!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I love the concept of getting a TASTING size portion of wine. Of course they sell by the glass or bottle too. I am a diabetic, but a LITTLE wine won't hurt, so these are perfect portions for me. When I ordered food, I had no idea it was going to be so pleasantly appealing to the eye and palate. Chef Jason did a brilliant job! My friend ordered the Seared Ahi Tuna and I, the Lemon Herb Baked Chicken. I have added pictures. She did not want her Wasabi Cream, so light, so creamy, so nipping at my tongue. The weekend bartender Channing, was pleasant, funny and efficient. Thursday nights from 7:30 to 10:30 there is live music. Nice! Someone who understands that starting music at 9pm or later is not convenient for most people. Find this place and stop by!!! Their website: http://www.vinoveritaswinebar.com/index.html

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Moreno Valley, California
“This vintage needs a bit more aging to attain maturity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our group of business associates, friends and spouses gathered after work on a weekday at Vino Veritas, a fairly new wine bar in the Mission Grove district of Riverside. The trendy decor, youthful clientele and upscale food and beverage offerings were somewhat unfamiliar, concept-wise, to many of us older folks in the crowd. The harried staff was not able to clearly describe for first-timers "how things worked" at this place. Sorry, there's no 'instruction manual', folks. The atmosphere was also dark, like a night spot or jazz club.

Evidently a bit of high tech is involved; you pay in advance for a $10, $20 or more 'debit card' that you and your guests can use up by sampling tiny, two-swallow portions of fine vintage from a merry-go-round of wine bottles on an "ATM-equipped" carousel in the middle of the room and take them back to your table. Whew! It was too dark to read wine bottle labels to learn more about the choices. For an additional charge you can have trendy gourmet appetizers brought to your table. There is a short menu of mostly Italian dishes. I suppose if you like the wine and want more of it you can buy a whole bottle but that was never explained to me. I demurred on the wine tasting gimmick because I did not fully understand the concept and did not want to be overcharged.

The food was not bad and the staff served our group well as its costs were spread among the 25 or so in our crowd. Some of us did not drink any alcohol and the staff did their best to keep us all happy. Parking, rest rooms and standards of cleanliness were suitable. Our little party was a success and I might go back to Vino Veritas with a smaller group who's familiar with the concept.

Bottom line: I think they are trying to do too much here and have not yet perfected this wine bar concept for all demographics. The formula needs to stay in the barrels a bit longer until it attains a higher level of maturity and perfection. I recommend it for a younger, trend-susceptible crowd more interested in social interaction than the mechanics of wine tasting.

• Visited December 2012