“Unsatisfied Guest” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3649 Mission Inn Ave., Riverside, CA 92501   |
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Riverside
“Unsatisfied Guest”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My partner and I stayed at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa 7/30 through 8/01 and we are very dissatisfied with our stay. Check in was great, Staff was very friendly and kind. They provided us with a clean guest room with a balcony. Upon entering the room we noticed there was a wasp on the ceiling so we opened the balcony to let it out but it remained in our room through our stay. We did not inform the front desk of this minor inconvenience. We had originally booked for one night but decided to extend our stay and booked a second night the following morning. After we extended our stay we left the room to run some errands which gave housekeeping more than enough time to clean the room. When we returned to our room we noticed the room had been cleaned but our bed was not made, our champagne glasses were removed and not replaced with new ones, our towels were also removed and not replaced with clean ones leaving us with no towels at all. My partner called the front desk and informed them of these inconveniences and she was told housekeeping would be sent immediately to redo the room. We waited about 30-40 minutes and housekeeping never came. We called the front desk again and were told the same thing. We then decided to cool off at the pool and give the housekeeper her space to clean the room. We returned to our room a while after and noticed our room had not been redone so again we called front desk and we were told housekeeping would be sent immediately. We went back to the pool and finally returned to a clean room. Later on that night I had to call the front desk and have my in room safe reset because it had locked as if someone had attempted to open the safe and failed to put the correct pin. Hotel staff did come immediately and resolved this issue. The following morning before check out I noticed my partner and I had a lot of bite marks. I specifically had the marks on my neck, arms, and forehead. They appeared to be bed bug bites. I emailed the general manager of the hotel to discuss these issues and never received a response from her. It's a nice hotel over all and staff is very friendly but they need to work on these issues.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

They are a bit pricey but took my military ID and gave me a great price!!! So friendly and just a pleasure to walk through the property! Had breakfast outside with a gorgeous view of the courtyard. Looking forward to staying in November.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I got married here ten years ago so we decided to relive the magic for our anniversary. Needless to say the moment we walked onto the grounds we were once again in total awe of the beauty of the hotel. The staff were all incredibly kind & our room was gorgeous! Now I'm going to a bit nit picky here...the mattress was really uncomfortable BUT I do have a tendency to be a snob when it comes to this. We had dinner at the steakhouse which was good. We also really enjoyed the pool. More than anything make sure you walk around the grounds as there is a lot of history to the place & so much to see!

Stayed August 2014
Templeton, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The Mission Inn is a fascinating historical and architectural Hotel. Wander the hallways and different levels to get the full ambiance. Because many areas of the hotel are unique, many of the rooms are not the same. I have stayed there approximately 20 times and often get a surprising new room lay out. The Presidential Bar commemorates the ten U.S. Presidents who have been to the Inn. They often have week-end jazz. They also have a nice wine bar with a great selection of wines, with opened wines being preserved and dispensed in a state-of the-art manner. Three restaurants are available with a great steak house if one is in the mood for excellent, if not pricey, steaks. (Yes, I do eat something besides fish and seafood.) They also have an outdoor Mexican restaurant with large margaritas and tableside-prepared guacamole, which is delicious. I have also eaten at their courtyard Mission Inn Restaurant which offers a buffet (which I seldom try) but with a nice selection of food with a great view of the internal courtyard of the hotel. There are also other good restaurant within a short walking distance. Staff are always helpful, pleasant, and professional. Parking is a ways away so whether self-parking or valet-parking, factor that into your schedule. Depending on availability, I am often able to get a business rate when I am there for work.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms situated near the two main streets to avoid sirens at night.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Crosslake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Five English teachers from central Minnesota traveled to Riverside to attend a five day conference at U.C.R.. We booked rooms here, and, what a treat. Our only regret was that we were gone every day for eight hours. The service was supreme. Everyone from the valet staff, restaurant staff, front desk, to the fitness room staff, was friendly and accommodating. At the end of each day, we enjoyed pool time and a great meal. The atmosphere at the Mission Inn is very relaxing and there are all kinds of quiet spots to think, read, or sip coffee in the mornings. This was the best choice we could have made!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I found this hotel while reviewing my book on Historic Hotels of America. I was attending a wedding and made a special trip to stat at this incredible inn. I was amazed that when I spoke to people all over California so few actually new about this landmark.

If you want a destination that has it all this is the place no doubt! I did have some minor issues with my room so make sure you know what type of room you are getting. I preferred the older rooms with more character. I you want a room that will truly wow you go for a mission room. I would like to thank the front desk staff including Ashley, Ingrid and Brayton. They helped me stay in some terrific rooms

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
San Marcos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

The trip started off well with an upgrade to our room. Overlooking the pool, it was wonderful. The architecture was beautiful, the flowers, the history of the hotel was impressive. Room service was delicious but pricey. I chose this hotel for the ambience and romantic atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!