“Just what the doctor ordered” 5 of 5 stars

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3649 Mission Inn Ave., Riverside, CA 92501   |
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Riverside
Crosslake, Minnesota
“Just what the doctor ordered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Five English teachers from central Minnesota traveled to Riverside to attend a five day conference at U.C.R.. We booked rooms here, and, what a treat. Our only regret was that we were gone every day for eight hours. The service was supreme. Everyone from the valet staff, restaurant staff, front desk, to the fitness room staff, was friendly and accommodating. At the end of each day, we enjoyed pool time and a great meal. The atmosphere at the Mission Inn is very relaxing and there are all kinds of quiet spots to think, read, or sip coffee in the mornings. This was the best choice we could have made!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I found this hotel while reviewing my book on Historic Hotels of America. I was attending a wedding and made a special trip to stat at this incredible inn. I was amazed that when I spoke to people all over California so few actually new about this landmark.

If you want a destination that has it all this is the place no doubt! I did have some minor issues with my room so make sure you know what type of room you are getting. I preferred the older rooms with more character. I you want a room that will truly wow you go for a mission room. I would like to thank the front desk staff including Ashley, Ingrid and Brayton. They helped me stay in some terrific rooms

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
San Marcos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

The trip started off well with an upgrade to our room. Overlooking the pool, it was wonderful. The architecture was beautiful, the flowers, the history of the hotel was impressive. Room service was delicious but pricey. I chose this hotel for the ambience and romantic atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Unexpected beauty in Riverside. Really no need to leave the property. We didn't other than to venture out for an amazing latte down the street. Didn't get a chance, but the spa looks beautiful too. Pool needs new cushions otherwise it was historic and wonderful. By the way... Best Sundsy buffet I've had yet !

• Stayed June 2014
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My daughter and I wanted a spa mini vacation and this turned out to be the place we were hoping for. The hotel itself is very unique in that it has so much history. The decor makes you feel like you have stepped back in time. It is beautiful but the hallway and stairs carpeting need to be replaced. I loved the antique pieces. Our room was on the 2nd floor. It look like it could of been an office at one time but was converted to a guest room. It was long with nice comfortable queen beds, very spacious. The bathroom was small but had nice tile and was clean. It overlooked patio dining but was still a quiet area. Exploring the hotel was fun and interesting. The pool was a nice area with a spa. We ate at the Mission Inn restaurant for breakfast and the food was great and priced right for a hotel. We also eat at Las Campanas and enjoyed our dinner there. The spa package was a good deal and we both enjoyed our massages. We will definitely will stay here again and recommended it for a 1 or 2 day get away.

Room Tip: The upper floors seemed nicer.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Newport Beach California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This is the fourth time I have stayed at the Mission Inn.

I admit that one of the reasons I have stayed here so many times in the last few years is because I have a girlfriend that lives just down the block -- in the historic district where there are blocks of hundred year old homes like hers.

Even aside from that, this hotel delivers a unique experience in many respects.

First, there is the dazzling light show that begins the day after Thanksgiving and lasts until after January first. I have been to it twice and about the only thing I can complain about is the fact that it is just wall-to-wall people. And lots of noise.

But the hotel comes to life like in a way like Disneyland, so it is a "no miss" experience for the whole family.

The second reason to come see this lovely hotel is the architecture.

I have been on the architectural tour twice now, and both times were equally memorable. If you like history and architecture you have got to take a tour.

Third, I like the rooms. Even though the hotel is old -- and can sprout holes in a sudden thunderstorm -- the rooms don't feel old. Rather, they all have unique flavors to them. I have not stayed in the same room twice, although I will say that the one overlooking the pool was nice while the room that straddles the Chinese pavilion and the Spanish courtyard was certainly worth the price.

Finally, there is the food and drink.

The Sunday brunch is one of the best and the Presidential lounge for drinks is -- well -- presidential, as five Presidents have either stayed there, visited or even gotten married there in the case of Nixon.

On the negative side, don't forget that this is a very popular place to have a wedding! There were three going on at the same time when I was there in May of this year...So lots of people to contend with.

HOW ABOUT THE FOOD?

The Sunday brunch is awesome, Duane's steak house is divine and the Presidential bar area is - well -- it feels presidential as five presidents have either stayed, visited or gotten married there in the case of Nixon.

Did I mention the awesome shopping just off the main entrance? Its another reason to visit this great grand hotel.

I cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a map to help in this regard.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

My wife pre-paid a pool package for my birthday weekend. The package included $25 credit for poolside drinks and/or snacks, valet parking, and two cupcakes!. We had never stayed there before even though we had visited and eaten at their restaurant in the past. We arrived about two hours before the 4 p.m. check in time. I didn't expect to get our room, and we didn't. They pre-checked us in and gave us the $25 credit. We went to the pool, but it was full of people. We tried to use the credit at the restaurant, but they wouldn't take it. My wife talked to the manager and they agreed to credit us the $25 if we went to the restaurant and billed it to the room. Anyway, we left our luggage with the front desk and they took our phone number and we went across the street to a great cafe with a laid back atmosphere, iced tea for my wife and a cortadito for me! Around 3:30, they called us to inform us that the room was ready. We returned to the front desk and they gave us one key. My wife went up the beautiful elevator and I walked up the curving and interesting stairs. We found the room. It was almost at the top of the stairs. We walked in and found a room that had a king sized bed, a large window looking out toward the pool, patio/restaurant area, and the driveway where we had left our car with the valet. There were three steps to a small hall that led to the bathroom. It wasn't a large bathroom but there was enough room for the two us. While sitting in the lounge chair, I heard footsteps and sounds like wheelchairs or strollers passing overhead! We weren't there long because we left to get get our cupcakes! We got our cupcakes and sat on a balcony overlooking an enclosed Spanish style courtyard. We returned to the room and I heard footsteps run above me and wheel sounds! We left the room and we went to the restaurant where we had delicious appetizers and cocktails! The restaurant is very atmospheric and we had a view of the Spanish style courtyard! We returned to the room and asked the valet to bring our car to the front. We got to the front of the hotel about 10 minutes later and our car was delivered within minutes! When we returned to the hotel, we wandered around and found many balconies, gardens, fountains, and walkways. The place is an amazing architectural wonderland! We truly enjoyed spending time in these spaces with view of different inner courtyards and views of the surrounding mountains and city! I went up above where our room was located and found that half of our room was below a tiled walkway and that the other half was below another room. There were clubs with loud music across the street and music coming from the on-site Presidential Bar. But, even though I hate noise and get really irritated when I don't get some quiet in order to fall asleep, I didn't care here because this hotel isn't really about sleeping, it is about exploring the grounds and enjoying the quirky and charming architectural details! BTW, we both slept soundly that night. We had brought ear plugs after all! Long story short (yeah right!) I want to return for my next five birthdays. But, I want to get different rooms each time because there are so many in this hotel complex! I highly recommend it if you want to have an unusual experience. Last but not least, the service was very good in every way!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!