“Worth seeing” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3649 Mission Inn Ave., Riverside, CA 92501   |
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Riverside
“Worth seeing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Unexpected beauty in Riverside. Really no need to leave the property. We didn't other than to venture out for an amazing latte down the street. Didn't get a chance, but the spa looks beautiful too. Pool needs new cushions otherwise it was historic and wonderful. By the way... Best Sundsy buffet I've had yet !

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My daughter and I wanted a spa mini vacation and this turned out to be the place we were hoping for. The hotel itself is very unique in that it has so much history. The decor makes you feel like you have stepped back in time. It is beautiful but the hallway and stairs carpeting need to be replaced. I loved the antique pieces. Our room was on the 2nd floor. It look like it could of been an office at one time but was converted to a guest room. It was long with nice comfortable queen beds, very spacious. The bathroom was small but had nice tile and was clean. It overlooked patio dining but was still a quiet area. Exploring the hotel was fun and interesting. The pool was a nice area with a spa. We ate at the Mission Inn restaurant for breakfast and the food was great and priced right for a hotel. We also eat at Las Campanas and enjoyed our dinner there. The spa package was a good deal and we both enjoyed our massages. We will definitely will stay here again and recommended it for a 1 or 2 day get away.

Room Tip: The upper floors seemed nicer.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Newport Beach California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This is the fourth time I have stayed at the Mission Inn.

I admit that one of the reasons I have stayed here so many times in the last few years is because I have a girlfriend that lives just down the block -- in the historic district where there are blocks of hundred year old homes like hers.

Even aside from that, this hotel delivers a unique experience in many respects.

First, there is the dazzling light show that begins the day after Thanksgiving and lasts until after January first. I have been to it twice and about the only thing I can complain about is the fact that it is just wall-to-wall people. And lots of noise.

But the hotel comes to life like in a way like Disneyland, so it is a "no miss" experience for the whole family.

The second reason to come see this lovely hotel is the architecture.

I have been on the architectural tour twice now, and both times were equally memorable. If you like history and architecture you have got to take a tour.

Third, I like the rooms. Even though the hotel is old -- and can sprout holes in a sudden thunderstorm -- the rooms don't feel old. Rather, they all have unique flavors to them. I have not stayed in the same room twice, although I will say that the one overlooking the pool was nice while the room that straddles the Chinese pavilion and the Spanish courtyard was certainly worth the price.

Finally, there is the food and drink.

The Sunday brunch is one of the best and the Presidential lounge for drinks is -- well -- presidential, as five Presidents have either stayed there, visited or even gotten married there in the case of Nixon.

On the negative side, don't forget that this is a very popular place to have a wedding! There were three going on at the same time when I was there in May of this year...So lots of people to contend with.

HOW ABOUT THE FOOD?

The Sunday brunch is awesome, Duane's steak house is divine and the Presidential bar area is - well -- it feels presidential as five presidents have either stayed, visited or gotten married there in the case of Nixon.

Did I mention the awesome shopping just off the main entrance? Its another reason to visit this great grand hotel.

I cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a map to help in this regard.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

My wife pre-paid a pool package for my birthday weekend. The package included $25 credit for poolside drinks and/or snacks, valet parking, and two cupcakes!. We had never stayed there before even though we had visited and eaten at their restaurant in the past. We arrived about two hours before the 4 p.m. check in time. I didn't expect to get our room, and we didn't. They pre-checked us in and gave us the $25 credit. We went to the pool, but it was full of people. We tried to use the credit at the restaurant, but they wouldn't take it. My wife talked to the manager and they agreed to credit us the $25 if we went to the restaurant and billed it to the room. Anyway, we left our luggage with the front desk and they took our phone number and we went across the street to a great cafe with a laid back atmosphere, iced tea for my wife and a cortadito for me! Around 3:30, they called us to inform us that the room was ready. We returned to the front desk and they gave us one key. My wife went up the beautiful elevator and I walked up the curving and interesting stairs. We found the room. It was almost at the top of the stairs. We walked in and found a room that had a king sized bed, a large window looking out toward the pool, patio/restaurant area, and the driveway where we had left our car with the valet. There were three steps to a small hall that led to the bathroom. It wasn't a large bathroom but there was enough room for the two us. While sitting in the lounge chair, I heard footsteps and sounds like wheelchairs or strollers passing overhead! We weren't there long because we left to get get our cupcakes! We got our cupcakes and sat on a balcony overlooking an enclosed Spanish style courtyard. We returned to the room and I heard footsteps run above me and wheel sounds! We left the room and we went to the restaurant where we had delicious appetizers and cocktails! The restaurant is very atmospheric and we had a view of the Spanish style courtyard! We returned to the room and asked the valet to bring our car to the front. We got to the front of the hotel about 10 minutes later and our car was delivered within minutes! When we returned to the hotel, we wandered around and found many balconies, gardens, fountains, and walkways. The place is an amazing architectural wonderland! We truly enjoyed spending time in these spaces with view of different inner courtyards and views of the surrounding mountains and city! I went up above where our room was located and found that half of our room was below a tiled walkway and that the other half was below another room. There were clubs with loud music across the street and music coming from the on-site Presidential Bar. But, even though I hate noise and get really irritated when I don't get some quiet in order to fall asleep, I didn't care here because this hotel isn't really about sleeping, it is about exploring the grounds and enjoying the quirky and charming architectural details! BTW, we both slept soundly that night. We had brought ear plugs after all! Long story short (yeah right!) I want to return for my next five birthdays. But, I want to get different rooms each time because there are so many in this hotel complex! I highly recommend it if you want to have an unusual experience. Last but not least, the service was very good in every way!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I stayed at the Mission Inn over Christmas and had a great time. My family and I wanted somewhere local (Southern California) to escape to for a few days and the Mission Inn was perfect. No two rooms are alike, and part of the fun of staying in the Inn is walking around the labyrinth of stairs and passages that make up the structure.

One of the best parts of staying here over the holidays is getting to bypass the droves of tourists who have come to see the holiday display (which, in my opinion is not worth the hassle). The brunch was delicious and we had a lovely table on the patio. We also enjoyed the pool and hot tub area.

Overall, a great stay. We will be going again for Christmas if we don't have more time to travel further.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

this hotel is a treat. If you need to go to Riverside, you need to stay here. Truly an oasis in the desert. We had a basic room because of a group rate. I would recommend upgrading. The grounds are great. the restaurants are great. Exploring the grounds is so much fun.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I had a good stay here, but they did fail one service "test."

First, the room I stayed in (their basic "deluxe" king room) was huge. The A/C was difficult to control, but I eventually figured it out. It overlooked one of their restaurants which meant I had background noise until about 11pm which was slightly annoying. Still, the bed and furniture were comfortable, and the look of the room was quite nice.

Check-in, check-out, leaving bags with the concierge all went fine.

I also used the fitness room which, while small, has some pretty updated equipment. However, because of the size, the fitness center does fill at peak hours.

So the service issue: I ordered room service on a Sunday evening. When I called, it took about 6 rings before they picked up. Still, it was probably a busy time in the restaurant. However, later, I attempted to call to have them take the tray away. I got no answer when I called:
1. In-room dining
2. The concierge desk
3. The front desk (!)
I called about 8pm on a Sunday evening. i finally gave up on getting anyone and shoved the thing out in the hall.

So, I'd say this place is comfortable and a good deal if you get a state or group rate. There are some deficiencies on the service side that they should address.

Oh, and I refused to pay the $10/day for internet access. No hotel, in my opinion, should be charging for this anymore.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and mention the restaurants if you are a light or early sleeper.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!