“A Desert Oasis” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Riverside
Palo Alto, California
“A Desert Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

What a surprise to find such an oasis in the middle of the desert! When my son was invited to participate in a week-long soccer tournament in Riverside this summer I did what the other families did, started with the Marriott. Fortunately for us, there were no "discounted" rooms left. When images of the Mission Inn Hotel and Spa popped up in my search I was drawn to the beautiful meditteranean architecture and, as I read further, the historical background of the hotel. I was shocked to find that the nightly rate was only dollars above the Marriott rate! I booked it immediately. Originally there for the soccer tournament, our stay turned out to be a true retreat. My son enjoyed hours in the pool after soccer games in the heat. I took advantage of the Spa massage services. The restaurants on site, though expensive, were always delicious and the service impeccable. The Spanish Patio gave us the feeling we were sitting in a meditteranean village, not in Riverside. To save a little on food we occasionally grabbed something from the cafes across the street. We were lucky to also have the dual celebrations of World Cup Soccer which we watched in the Presidential Lounge, and the Fourth of July fireworks which we watched from the hotel balcony. I had fun meandering around taking photos and reading about the history of the hotel. The room was comfortable with all of the amenities. The housekeeping and in-room dining services were fairly inconsistent which just resulted in more reminders, but ultimately the service staff was friendly and accomodating. There were some interesting shops and sights within walking distance of the hotel but other than soccer games at the nearby Sportsplex, I was quite content lounging at the pool and otherwise relaxing inside the hotel. I look forward to visiting again one day, perhaps just for a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for the largest room available within the price. Mine was on the smaller side while a friend had...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a beautiful, historic hotel located in the middle of nowhere, in Riverside, California. The room was big and clean, but it took really a long time for the hot water to come on in the shower. They must have historic plumbing. During my stay, the staff varied from very nice and helpful to incompetent and insulting. I ate one breakfast there. The food was good, the coffee was terrible, and it was ridiculously overpriced. But, hey, if you decide to stay there, maybe you'll get lucky.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

So this beautiful historic hotel is only 45 minutes away.... that makes it our perfect weekend getaway for just my husband and I every year! We have gone in the middle of summer to Christmas time when the lights are beautifully lit! There is nothing bad you can say about this place unless all you want is glass and steal modern. The "Authors row" of rooms is absolutely perfect for a honeymoon/wedding night. When we opened the door to our room in this row my husband and I just looked at each other and started laughing like little kids we were so excited. The restaurants are amazing... Duane's steaks are yummy but I love the Spanish Patio outside better. And the Sunday brunch is fantastic- Note---MAKE RESEVATIONS WHEN YOU RESERVE YOUR HOTEL ROOM! ...especially at Christmas time! These restaurants are popular. And lastly, if you have time take a stroll down to the museum and take the tour. love this place!
*** Got to say- Husbands out there- a surprise night away from the kids here will blow her away!
(and flower store across the street does beautiful arrangements :) !)

Room Tip: Author's Row are fantastic. Tell them if you want "quiet".
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed here with my husband for out 24 year anniversary celebration. The Hotel has a lot of history and a museum. Its absolutely lovely and you feel you have stepped back in time. The room was very comfortable and I had a balcony, but not much of a view. There are so many things to see that its impossible to take it all in in one night. I would recommend a romantic weekend at minimum because one night was not enough. They have a Spa and several restaurants.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This will actually be a two part review since I think it is important to make a distinction. Last weekend I hosted a surprise birthday for my dad at the Mission Inn and I had a number of guests stay at the hotel through the weekend. The first part of this review will be for the catering and banquet staff and the second part will be for the rooms staff.

As far as the catering and banquet staff is concerned, I have rarely encountered anyone better. From the moment my dad entered the Monterrey to the moment he left for his room he and all of the guests were provided exceptional service. From the catering manager Anderson to the banquet manager Alex, I have never had a better experience. They were the utmost professionals and I would highly recommend anyone planning an event to reach out to Anderson and have him manage it.

Now for the hotel staff. This group would be the reason for the 2-star rating. I travel frequently and I stay in 25-30 hotels a year, with nearly all of them being 4 or 5 star. Never before have a had a worse experience than what I had staying at the Mission Inn. I requested an early check in for myself, my dad, and my sisters but none of us managed to get into our rooms prior to the 4pm guarantee for the normal check in. My dad, who the surprise was for, did not get his room until 4:30 (which presented a huge problem since he was in the lobby and I had 20 other guests waiting outside in the heat so as not to spoil the surprise). I didn't get my room until 4:45 (the party was scheduled to start at 6pm). The frustrating part was the hotel staff were aware that I was having the surprise party but did nothing to prioritize me or my guests. There was absolute chaos in the lobby, which is not something a guest should be aware of at a 4 star venue. In addition to all of this, once we were in the room and my guests were able to come in, the hotel staff had no idea where the party was and they were sending guests all over the hotel to the wrong areas, only increasing the chances of my dad running into them. I, the person paying for this event, had to quickly shower and then run all over the hotel herding people to the correct location. However, as I stated before, once we finally made it to the party room things got much better.

unfortunately the next day did not get much better with the hotel staff. I had reserved to have 26 guests join me and my dad for the hotels exceptional brunch the next morning. Because my dad was classified as a VIP the hotel provided him with a comped brunch. Alex, the banquet manager, also had provided me with two comped brunches due to the headaches I experienced the previous night. I felt it would only be right for the hotel staff to also pick up 4 or 5 of the brunches as well (I was still more than happy to pay for the other 16 or 17). When I spoke to the rooms manager, Andre, he informed me that he could not provide a comp but that in order to make up for the issues he had cupcakes sent to my dad's room. That's right everyone, he sent cupcakes, two to be exact. I think my jaw may have dropped to the floor when he said that because I thought he was joking. After spending $9k on this event and after having the worst experience I have ever had at a 4 star venue I got cupcakes. Wow!!

So this two star review is a combination of the 8 stars I gave to the catering and event staff and the negative 6 stars I have given the rooms staff. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, if you are looking to have an event in the Riverside area please consider hosting it at the Mission Inn because I know Anderson and Alex will take great care of you and your guests. I would just recommend that if anyone is staying overnight you may want to consider the Marriott across the street. Thanks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Just stopped by to site see and grab a quick cocktail. It is So beautiful I can not express it in words. We had a drink at the Presidential lounge inside of the lobby while looking around. The staff were all great and extremely friendly! I will definitely be staying here next time I am in town.

Stayed July 2014
Klamath Falls, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We just spent a night at the Mission Inn and really enjoyed ourselves. We arrived in the early evening, grabbed a couple of beers and proceeded to explore every hallway and staircase that we could find. The Inn is absolutely beautiful and really makes you feel like you are somewhere other than right outside of LA! Somehow we lucked out and got a great room deal on a popular travel site and, without knowing enough to have planned it, landed ourselves a room on the third floor, outdoor balcony area. It was so beautiful!
We put in a reservation for the Mexican restaurant downstairs and left our cellphone number with them. It was about an hour wait, so we continued to explore the grounds and the ped mall area.
The room was incredibly comfortable once the A/C had time to kick in and we both got a great night of sleep - no loud noises or music outside, as others have complained about, even though it was a Saturday night. Again, though, our room location was clutch.
If you go, I would suggest that you put your name in EARLY for dinner reservations and MAKE ABSOLUTE CERTAIN to hit up Casey's cupcakes before you leave!

Room Tip: Third floor patio rooms are the best!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!