“Historic & Beautiful” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3649 Mission Inn Ave., Riverside, CA 92501   |
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Riverside
“Historic & Beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed here with my husband for out 24 year anniversary celebration. The Hotel has a lot of history and a museum. Its absolutely lovely and you feel you have stepped back in time. The room was very comfortable and I had a balcony, but not much of a view. There are so many things to see that its impossible to take it all in in one night. I would recommend a romantic weekend at minimum because one night was not enough. They have a Spa and several restaurants.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This will actually be a two part review since I think it is important to make a distinction. Last weekend I hosted a surprise birthday for my dad at the Mission Inn and I had a number of guests stay at the hotel through the weekend. The first part of this review will be for the catering and banquet staff and the second part will be for the rooms staff.

As far as the catering and banquet staff is concerned, I have rarely encountered anyone better. From the moment my dad entered the Monterrey to the moment he left for his room he and all of the guests were provided exceptional service. From the catering manager Anderson to the banquet manager Alex, I have never had a better experience. They were the utmost professionals and I would highly recommend anyone planning an event to reach out to Anderson and have him manage it.

Now for the hotel staff. This group would be the reason for the 2-star rating. I travel frequently and I stay in 25-30 hotels a year, with nearly all of them being 4 or 5 star. Never before have a had a worse experience than what I had staying at the Mission Inn. I requested an early check in for myself, my dad, and my sisters but none of us managed to get into our rooms prior to the 4pm guarantee for the normal check in. My dad, who the surprise was for, did not get his room until 4:30 (which presented a huge problem since he was in the lobby and I had 20 other guests waiting outside in the heat so as not to spoil the surprise). I didn't get my room until 4:45 (the party was scheduled to start at 6pm). The frustrating part was the hotel staff were aware that I was having the surprise party but did nothing to prioritize me or my guests. There was absolute chaos in the lobby, which is not something a guest should be aware of at a 4 star venue. In addition to all of this, once we were in the room and my guests were able to come in, the hotel staff had no idea where the party was and they were sending guests all over the hotel to the wrong areas, only increasing the chances of my dad running into them. I, the person paying for this event, had to quickly shower and then run all over the hotel herding people to the correct location. However, as I stated before, once we finally made it to the party room things got much better.

unfortunately the next day did not get much better with the hotel staff. I had reserved to have 26 guests join me and my dad for the hotels exceptional brunch the next morning. Because my dad was classified as a VIP the hotel provided him with a comped brunch. Alex, the banquet manager, also had provided me with two comped brunches due to the headaches I experienced the previous night. I felt it would only be right for the hotel staff to also pick up 4 or 5 of the brunches as well (I was still more than happy to pay for the other 16 or 17). When I spoke to the rooms manager, Andre, he informed me that he could not provide a comp but that in order to make up for the issues he had cupcakes sent to my dad's room. That's right everyone, he sent cupcakes, two to be exact. I think my jaw may have dropped to the floor when he said that because I thought he was joking. After spending $9k on this event and after having the worst experience I have ever had at a 4 star venue I got cupcakes. Wow!!

So this two star review is a combination of the 8 stars I gave to the catering and event staff and the negative 6 stars I have given the rooms staff. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, if you are looking to have an event in the Riverside area please consider hosting it at the Mission Inn because I know Anderson and Alex will take great care of you and your guests. I would just recommend that if anyone is staying overnight you may want to consider the Marriott across the street. Thanks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Just stopped by to site see and grab a quick cocktail. It is So beautiful I can not express it in words. We had a drink at the Presidential lounge inside of the lobby while looking around. The staff were all great and extremely friendly! I will definitely be staying here next time I am in town.

Stayed July 2014
Klamath Falls, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We just spent a night at the Mission Inn and really enjoyed ourselves. We arrived in the early evening, grabbed a couple of beers and proceeded to explore every hallway and staircase that we could find. The Inn is absolutely beautiful and really makes you feel like you are somewhere other than right outside of LA! Somehow we lucked out and got a great room deal on a popular travel site and, without knowing enough to have planned it, landed ourselves a room on the third floor, outdoor balcony area. It was so beautiful!
We put in a reservation for the Mexican restaurant downstairs and left our cellphone number with them. It was about an hour wait, so we continued to explore the grounds and the ped mall area.
The room was incredibly comfortable once the A/C had time to kick in and we both got a great night of sleep - no loud noises or music outside, as others have complained about, even though it was a Saturday night. Again, though, our room location was clutch.
If you go, I would suggest that you put your name in EARLY for dinner reservations and MAKE ABSOLUTE CERTAIN to hit up Casey's cupcakes before you leave!

Room Tip: Third floor patio rooms are the best!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I have visited The Mission Inn multiple times over past two years and have enjoyed the beautiful surroundings and incredibly friendly service. I always book one of the older historic rooms, either a Glenwood or Mission room as I love their originality and roomy interiors.
The Mission is a great quick getaway in Southern California, great restaurants, a nice pool (though sometimes a few too many screaming kids), and lovely grounds. I have visited with my husband, had a girls weekend trip, and traveled solo and thought the hotel was a perfect fit for all of these trips. It is not always easy to travel on your own, but I always feel at ease and relaxed as soon as I arrive. Great service from the valet, registration and wait staff.

Room Tip: Go for the Glenwood or Mission rooms near the Spanish Patio. They are cozy and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I sit here at 11:40 PM trying to sleep amongst blaring music (sounds like there's a night club next door), slamming doors every couple of minutes, and people yelling/talking outside. We were so impressed when we got here with the beautiful building and walked the grounds taking photos. Service at the main bar was nice with a flight of wines and appetizers in the evening, but our dinner at the Mexican restaurant had very slow service. One margarita tasted like pure mango juice and we had to ask for a shot of tequila for it. I drank that one and their large $15 one and still did not feel any affect. The place is beautiful (like an oasis because there's not much else around. Had a long drive through the desert to get here.) However, it seems like a cheap motel right now as I'm trying to sleep. There are apparently a bunch of kids' soccer teams staying at the hotel for a tournament, so the main sitting area on our floor was filled with them all gathered and talking loudly a couple of times today and rudely going ahead of us in the elevator which we had been waiting for. The pool and hot tub were also extremely crowded today... enough to make us not want to go. We happened to be on a trip passing through Riverside and chose to stay here through a deal from my husband's work. Although it's a pretty building on the national landmark building/hotel list, and many presidents and famous people have stayed here (Einstein!), I'm not sure I would make it a destination. And I think some people mentioned it having been a mission. I don't believe it was... It was built as a guest house to model the mission style and added on to.

Stayed July 2014
Palm Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is a lovely, old property but the operators seem to be resting on their laurels. Our room was spacious but one of the first things I notice is carpeting. It was pretty nasty. I wouldn't touch a bare foot to it... Paying $10.00 per day for WiFi in your room is kind of chintzy in this day and age. A $20.00 charge for valet parking for hotel guests is just a personal annoyance for me. Prices in the two restaurants which we patronized were extravagant while the food was only mediocre. We had heard about the Mission Inn for years. We can now cross it off our list. Not the fault of the hotel owners, but the air pollution in Riverside is less than healthful.

Room Tip: Many day trippers visit the Mission Inn. Avoid proximity to public rooms, pool area.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!