“Birthday/hockey” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Riverside
Fresno, California
“Birthday/hockey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Just stopped by to site see and grab a quick cocktail. It is So beautiful I can not express it in words. We had a drink at the Presidential lounge inside of the lobby while looking around. The staff were all great and extremely friendly! I will definitely be staying here next time I am in town.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Klamath Falls, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We just spent a night at the Mission Inn and really enjoyed ourselves. We arrived in the early evening, grabbed a couple of beers and proceeded to explore every hallway and staircase that we could find. The Inn is absolutely beautiful and really makes you feel like you are somewhere other than right outside of LA! Somehow we lucked out and got a great room deal on a popular travel site and, without knowing enough to have planned it, landed ourselves a room on the third floor, outdoor balcony area. It was so beautiful!
We put in a reservation for the Mexican restaurant downstairs and left our cellphone number with them. It was about an hour wait, so we continued to explore the grounds and the ped mall area.
The room was incredibly comfortable once the A/C had time to kick in and we both got a great night of sleep - no loud noises or music outside, as others have complained about, even though it was a Saturday night. Again, though, our room location was clutch.
If you go, I would suggest that you put your name in EARLY for dinner reservations and MAKE ABSOLUTE CERTAIN to hit up Casey's cupcakes before you leave!

Room Tip: Third floor patio rooms are the best!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I have visited The Mission Inn multiple times over past two years and have enjoyed the beautiful surroundings and incredibly friendly service. I always book one of the older historic rooms, either a Glenwood or Mission room as I love their originality and roomy interiors.
The Mission is a great quick getaway in Southern California, great restaurants, a nice pool (though sometimes a few too many screaming kids), and lovely grounds. I have visited with my husband, had a girls weekend trip, and traveled solo and thought the hotel was a perfect fit for all of these trips. It is not always easy to travel on your own, but I always feel at ease and relaxed as soon as I arrive. Great service from the valet, registration and wait staff.

Room Tip: Go for the Glenwood or Mission rooms near the Spanish Patio. They are cozy and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I sit here at 11:40 PM trying to sleep amongst blaring music (sounds like there's a night club next door), slamming doors every couple of minutes, and people yelling/talking outside. We were so impressed when we got here with the beautiful building and walked the grounds taking photos. Service at the main bar was nice with a flight of wines and appetizers in the evening, but our dinner at the Mexican restaurant had very slow service. One margarita tasted like pure mango juice and we had to ask for a shot of tequila for it. I drank that one and their large $15 one and still did not feel any affect. The place is beautiful (like an oasis because there's not much else around. Had a long drive through the desert to get here.) However, it seems like a cheap motel right now as I'm trying to sleep. There are apparently a bunch of kids' soccer teams staying at the hotel for a tournament, so the main sitting area on our floor was filled with them all gathered and talking loudly a couple of times today and rudely going ahead of us in the elevator which we had been waiting for. The pool and hot tub were also extremely crowded today... enough to make us not want to go. We happened to be on a trip passing through Riverside and chose to stay here through a deal from my husband's work. Although it's a pretty building on the national landmark building/hotel list, and many presidents and famous people have stayed here (Einstein!), I'm not sure I would make it a destination. And I think some people mentioned it having been a mission. I don't believe it was... It was built as a guest house to model the mission style and added on to.

Stayed July 2014
Palm Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is a lovely, old property but the operators seem to be resting on their laurels. Our room was spacious but one of the first things I notice is carpeting. It was pretty nasty. I wouldn't touch a bare foot to it... Paying $10.00 per day for WiFi in your room is kind of chintzy in this day and age. A $20.00 charge for valet parking for hotel guests is just a personal annoyance for me. Prices in the two restaurants which we patronized were extravagant while the food was only mediocre. We had heard about the Mission Inn for years. We can now cross it off our list. Not the fault of the hotel owners, but the air pollution in Riverside is less than healthful.

Room Tip: Many day trippers visit the Mission Inn. Avoid proximity to public rooms, pool area.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I really enjoyed being there. Take the docent tour to learn about the hotel and the art.
Also take time to eat at some of the out door restaurants. I felt like I was in Europe.
I thought Californians were not as friendly as the South but they proved me wrong , I am glad to say.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Weather you are staying at the Mission Inn or just in town, take the Docent Led tour. You need reservations, they do fill up. The tour lasts an hour and well worth it. The historical aspects of the property, famous visitors, it's impressive art collection. And it takes you places the general public can't go. If you're there for Sunday brunch you are in for a real treat. It's the best around.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!