“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 25 hotels in Riverside
San Diego, California
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This was recommended by a friend, and was great. There is a tour (open to the public, you don't have to be a guest) that provides lots of information and entry to areas you may otherwise miss. Interesting that the iron fences don't match because they were made from scrap pieces. We learned from a local resident to go 2-3 blocks down the street and visit a Mexican Restaurant called Tio's Tacos - the food was good, and there are 'art' pieces made from recycled trash. Be sure to go to the back of the restaurant, there's about an acre of creations!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

633 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
español en ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I visited this hotel, it was great!!! The lobby has many old antiques of the Missions in California, With s hall with flowers, an arch, and very nice garden. it also has a bar with the pictures of many presidents of USA. It was really nice. They also have a very nice store and it has a great location in the Center of Riverside, where you can walk, near of museums, of a very nice antique store. The rooms are awesome, very clean and comfortable. Riverside is a small place, but if you stay in this hotel, makes your visit wonderful!! The persons of the frontdesk and housekeeping were very nice, and wanted to give all the information I asked about the place...I definitely could stay in this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Only had one night here, but we were quite impressed. It really is a neat place with great architecture. Wish we would have time to explore it a little more (heard the bell tower is worth seeing). Room (standard King) was simple but nice. Got a very good rate at te last minute ($110) and found it to be an amazing deal. Would love to come back.

• Stayed June 2013
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Last minute need for a hotel in Riverside!! Unbelievably surprised by The Mission Inn!!! Get a room on 4th floor includes fireplace and private courtyard with fountain! You'll need 2 days just to tour the 4 city block old Mission with courtyards, fountains 4 diamond restaurants, climb up belfry! Different little antique libraries and sitting areas on every floor..SERVICE A+ food great, I actually enjoyed the Presidential Sports Lounge..Bartenders do a great job!! Plus, the mission inn is built on and around a 100 year old mission and they maintained the integrity of the history..

Room Tip: 423 or in that group but its soo big I didnt get into the larger suites!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Claremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Mission Inn is classic and elegant. This hotel is full of history. We stayed here for a wedding. The hotel was at its capacity but the staff did an amazing job. The rooms were spacious and luxurious. Bartenders were friendly and made good drinks. The Sunday brunch although pricey at $50/person, was worth it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Campbell, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I love staying in historic hotels. The Mission Inn is full of history, and is a beautiful property. Our rooms were comfortable. The pool was lovely. I would stay there again. But there were some downsides to the stay.

The area around the hotel has upscale shops and restaurants mixed in with some panhandlers and homeless types.

I ordered room service the first night, and requested the salmon, which came with potatoes and fresh asparagus. When it arrived, it had rice and green beans instead. I had ordered it primarily because my granddaughter likes potatoes, and we were sharing. I should have complained right away, because by the time I did I was told it was too late.

The biggest problem was service at the pool area. When arriving in the late afternoon we were told there was food and drink service going on at the pool. My granddaughter and I put our suits on and headed for the pool, which though beautiful was deserted with no sign of food service except some very enticing menus posted on every table. We figured we’d arrived too late, so the next day we went to the pool much earlier in the afternoon, but again, no sign of service. Finally someone told me I needed to use the phone to order room service to the pool, which I did. It was our dinner so I ordered quite a bit, including the drink of the month, a passion fruit margarita. While waiting for it to arrive, 8 or 10 other couples or groups arrived and studied the menus, looking around for a waiter. When my order arrived, they descended on the poor server trying to give him their orders. He said he couldn’t take any because he was the only server for room service for the whole hotel and had too many orders to delivery already. Then my granddaughter and I had to eat and drink in front of the hateful stares of all these people who really really wanted my margarita and sliders. Supposedly later in the summer, and on weekends, there is pool service. But please, Mission Inn, take those enticing menus off the table when there’s no way to order it poolside!!

We were awakened at 7 am on our last morning by men pruning bushes below our room and shouting to each other in Spanish. Old properties typically have thinner walls, so noise is an inevitable problem, but 7 am was too early to start these activities so close to guest rooms.

There’s a $10 charge for 24 hours of internet connectivity in the hotel room, and there is a charge for parking. But that’s pretty standard. Unless you’re staying at someplace like Hilton Garden Inn in Fontana, our next destination on this trip, where it’s free. But the beauty and history of the Mission Inn sure aren’t at the Hilton property, so you have to weigh your priorities…

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Riverside, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We live locally but will stay at Mission Inn when we are attending functions downtown. Its like a little "staycation" when we go to something at the Fox Theater. One problem I have is never knowing what kind of room, or view Im going to get but I guess that comes with the territory when you stay at an old hotel.

The biggest problem we have is checking in. On one occasion not only could I not get early check in, but had to wait almost an hour after check in time. I kept going to the front desk reminding them that I had to get dressed for a formal function. They said I could go use the dressing room at Kellys!!!!! I ended up doing my sisters nails in the courtyard and only when I finally threw a hissy fit did we get our room.

There have been other incidents but the last one was about 2 months ago. I was standing in line behind several people. There were no velvet ropes to show the line and people kept walking past us and going to the counter. I had to keep yelling at them that there was a line (not yelling out of anger, but because they couldnt hear otherwise) Even so the staff still waited on them. At one point there were four staff members at the counter.....waiting on no one as we all continued waiting in line. I finally called out..."Is anybody working there". There was some comment that they would get to us. When it was my turn I complained about not having something to rope off the line, that I had to keep telling people where the line was, which was their job. The womans comment was that she didnt hear me say anything....Bull. Half hearted "sorry" was all I got. Tried to upgrade, which I knew I wouldnt get because I made a complaint...I also believe she gave me one of the worse rooms because of my complaint. You do not want the rooms over the pool or noisy birds if you want to sleep in late.

If the price is right I will stay there in the future....otherwise there are two other hotels in close proximity.

Tip to out of towners.....lots of transients in area so be careful walking around at night.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep late dont get a room over the poor or birds
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!