“Elegant Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 25 hotels in Riverside
Claremont, California
“Elegant Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Mission Inn is classic and elegant. This hotel is full of history. We stayed here for a wedding. The hotel was at its capacity but the staff did an amazing job. The rooms were spacious and luxurious. Bartenders were friendly and made good drinks. The Sunday brunch although pricey at $50/person, was worth it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

608 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Campbell, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I love staying in historic hotels. The Mission Inn is full of history, and is a beautiful property. Our rooms were comfortable. The pool was lovely. I would stay there again. But there were some downsides to the stay.

The area around the hotel has upscale shops and restaurants mixed in with some panhandlers and homeless types.

I ordered room service the first night, and requested the salmon, which came with potatoes and fresh asparagus. When it arrived, it had rice and green beans instead. I had ordered it primarily because my granddaughter likes potatoes, and we were sharing. I should have complained right away, because by the time I did I was told it was too late.

The biggest problem was service at the pool area. When arriving in the late afternoon we were told there was food and drink service going on at the pool. My granddaughter and I put our suits on and headed for the pool, which though beautiful was deserted with no sign of food service except some very enticing menus posted on every table. We figured we’d arrived too late, so the next day we went to the pool much earlier in the afternoon, but again, no sign of service. Finally someone told me I needed to use the phone to order room service to the pool, which I did. It was our dinner so I ordered quite a bit, including the drink of the month, a passion fruit margarita. While waiting for it to arrive, 8 or 10 other couples or groups arrived and studied the menus, looking around for a waiter. When my order arrived, they descended on the poor server trying to give him their orders. He said he couldn’t take any because he was the only server for room service for the whole hotel and had too many orders to delivery already. Then my granddaughter and I had to eat and drink in front of the hateful stares of all these people who really really wanted my margarita and sliders. Supposedly later in the summer, and on weekends, there is pool service. But please, Mission Inn, take those enticing menus off the table when there’s no way to order it poolside!!

We were awakened at 7 am on our last morning by men pruning bushes below our room and shouting to each other in Spanish. Old properties typically have thinner walls, so noise is an inevitable problem, but 7 am was too early to start these activities so close to guest rooms.

There’s a $10 charge for 24 hours of internet connectivity in the hotel room, and there is a charge for parking. But that’s pretty standard. Unless you’re staying at someplace like Hilton Garden Inn in Fontana, our next destination on this trip, where it’s free. But the beauty and history of the Mission Inn sure aren’t at the Hilton property, so you have to weigh your priorities…

Riverside, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We live locally but will stay at Mission Inn when we are attending functions downtown. Its like a little "staycation" when we go to something at the Fox Theater. One problem I have is never knowing what kind of room, or view Im going to get but I guess that comes with the territory when you stay at an old hotel.

The biggest problem we have is checking in. On one occasion not only could I not get early check in, but had to wait almost an hour after check in time. I kept going to the front desk reminding them that I had to get dressed for a formal function. They said I could go use the dressing room at Kellys!!!!! I ended up doing my sisters nails in the courtyard and only when I finally threw a hissy fit did we get our room.

There have been other incidents but the last one was about 2 months ago. I was standing in line behind several people. There were no velvet ropes to show the line and people kept walking past us and going to the counter. I had to keep yelling at them that there was a line (not yelling out of anger, but because they couldnt hear otherwise) Even so the staff still waited on them. At one point there were four staff members at the counter.....waiting on no one as we all continued waiting in line. I finally called out..."Is anybody working there". There was some comment that they would get to us. When it was my turn I complained about not having something to rope off the line, that I had to keep telling people where the line was, which was their job. The womans comment was that she didnt hear me say anything....Bull. Half hearted "sorry" was all I got. Tried to upgrade, which I knew I wouldnt get because I made a complaint...I also believe she gave me one of the worse rooms because of my complaint. You do not want the rooms over the pool or noisy birds if you want to sleep in late.

If the price is right I will stay there in the future....otherwise there are two other hotels in close proximity.

Tip to out of towners.....lots of transients in area so be careful walking around at night.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep late dont get a room over the poor or birds
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My family took a mini vacation at the Mission Inn. We went for the history and the pool. We were not disappointed. We had a room on the third floor that was twice the size of most hotel rooms. The staff were all courteous and met requests with a smile. Our daughter enjoyed the pool very much and being able to use her kick scooter around the sidewalks and pedestrian mall of downtown Riverside. We ate twice at the Mission Inn Restaurant out on the Spanish patio. The food was excellent, and the little avian visitors greatly amused us. My daughter (7 years old) enjoyed our trip to the "castle." We definitely want to go back sometime soon.

Yucaipa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful setting, but lacks oversight in every department other than parking lot attendants and bellman. We purchased an overnight package that included: a bottle of Champagne, chocolate dipped strawberries, two cupcakes (when we booked the room several days in advance we were kindly asked what flavor we preferred) and a $100.00 certificate for dining on the premises. The suite was very nice - except there was a corn nut and a wine cork near the center of the sitting room (housekeeping!). They "ran out" of the cupcake favors we had requested in advance (how?) so we ordered different flavors. Not the end of the world, but why ask if you are not going to reserve them? Never received promised turndown service (housekeeping!). Never received the Champagne and strawberries (food service and/or housekeeping?). We brought this to the attention of the two ladies who were working the front desk upon check out. They were apologetic and began making phone calls in what I can only assume was an attempt to determine how to make amends, but really I don't know exactly what the calls were for. We were offered a bottle of Champagne and the strawberries to go. Since there were three of us, and we were all going in different directions, that was not an option. Then we were offered cupcakes to go. We agreed, and were sent to Casey's Cupcakes on the premises. The front desk called ahead and alerted the cupcake store to our situation and the agreed upon solution. When we got to the cupcake store 2 minutes later the counter girl was totally in the dark as to why we were there. The store was empty and there were three young ladies working behind the counter, however, it was necessary for us to explain our presence twice before the third girl was able to actually give the official ok for the other girls to serve us. This commenced into all three girls attempting to get the cupcakes from the case, into boxes, and distributed to the proper person. I cannot even tell you how many times it was necessary to remove the cupcakes from the bags, open the boxes yet again, and finally hand them to the proper recipient. It was like a candid camera episode! Absolutely unbelievable and embarrassing. They simply were not ready to be left unsupervised.

We have dined at all the Mission Inn's restaurants many times, ever hopeful that something has been done to train and supervise the staff more adequately. They are so poorly trained you actually feel sympathy for their earnest attempts to figure out exactly what is expected and how to accomplish it. Just one example among too many to count and write about: our Afternoon Tea for three. The cost was nearly $90.00 which included a required gratuity. When we received our menus we were given two different Afternoon Tea Menus. The "old", no longer available menu was given to our guest of honor, and the "new" revised menu was given to myself and my friend. This caused considerable confusion not only among us, but our server. Our guest was unable to have her choices because they had DELETED the items! Not changed, but deleted entirely with nothing new in their place. This was a birthday gift for our friend so unfortunately we were committed. At this point our server informed us that she did not normally serve tea and really did not know exactly what was on the menu or why we had two different menus. She then left the table for clarification from someone. She was very sweet and willing, just not prepared. This is 100% the fault of management. (As were all the problems we encountered.) Tea is supposed to be an elegant ritual served with grace and assurance. It is not the same as serving eggs and bacon in a coffee shop. Very, very disappointing. Sadly, I must say we have never had a meal at the Mission Inn in any of the restaurants - and yes we have dined in all of them, more than once - where the service was commensurate with the lovely setting, prices and expectations.

• Stayed June 2013
The Mission Inn H, Director of Sales at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and your time spent sharing details about your recent stay. We strive for every guest experience at the Mission Inn Hotel & Spa to be an enjoyable one. In your review, you indicated specific challenges you encountered that are, while being an unusual encounter, unacceptable according to our standards. We invite you to contact us directly to help us better understand your experience, address our areas of opportunity, and resolve the challenges accordingly. Please contact the Hotel directly and ask to speak with a member of our Executive Committee. We value your feedback and are looking forward to your correspondence.

The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa Management
Laguna Beach CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

There was some difficulty over reservation policies for packages, but Markus (thank you!) got that sorted out and we spent a very pleasant night after attending a retirement dinner in town. A far better idea than driving back to Orange County and a very pleasant experience in its own right. Sable (hope I got that right) checked us in, and could not have been more attentive and concerned that we have a great experience. We had a nightcap in the Presidential Bar, and the two bartenders where simply great. On top of everything without being intrusive.

Over more than 20 years we have had wonderful experiences at the Mission Inn, and are glad that this one was as well.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for one away from the road.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was never actually a working mission. They built it as a mission, but it was never used as such. Instead of destroying it, they converted it to a hotel. They did keep all the old decor, which is what makes this place so cool. They have a pagoda, a chapel, a buddhist temple, a huge spiral staircase...so awesome. Lots of secret passages and back staircases too for late night hide n go seek. They have all kinds of different rooms. Fully stocked minibar was available- beer, wine, shots-- all of that right in the room already. Huge king beds. Bathtubs. Really nice outdoor pool and hot tub. Definitely hit up the presidents lounge in the lobby for drinks and cigars. They have several restaurants, and there are lots of places within walking distance. There's not much else to do in riverside, and this place is right in the middle of town. UCR guests get a discounted room.
Highly recommended, even if you're not staying there.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!