“Mix of historic and architecture styles” 5 of 5 stars

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3649 Mission Inn Ave., Riverside, CA 92501   |
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Riverside
Chicago, Illinois
“Mix of historic and architecture styles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was visiting Riverside, CA and touring this #1 attraction of Riverside.
It has rich history and a lot stories to tell. The collection from world wide are amazing. The building itself designed mix of many architecture styles. The courtyard is beautiful. There is a chapel inside of the hotel and definitely wedding location top choice. I enjoyed my visit,

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Narooma, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Living in Colton (nearby) we eat quite often at the Inn as a contractor it became our Sunday company place to relax with out of town associates. Lovely place with heaps of moments in time and history. A place not to miss when in Riverside. We brought the book and took the tour.

With thanks Heather and Kerry

Room Tip: Go there and enjoy a drink in the garden is nice later afternoon
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This historical property is very unusual and special. The docent tour is a must when staying there to learn of the history and see unusal things. The restaurant, Duane's, is an excellent steak house as is the wine bar in front of Duane's. the best time of year to stay there is during the Christmas holidays as the hotel is decorated woth thousands of lights and charaters that move and sing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have stayed at the Mission Inn twice. Once in a suite on the top floor and just recently in a standard room. I have enjoyed both of my stays and really don't have any complaints. The Mission Inn is full of California history and you enjoy the experience more after learning about the property and those who previously owned the famous inn. All that to say, you must take a guided tour of the inn conducted by the curator's office (concierge can set up an appointment). My husband and I didn't realize how large the property is and you can get lost just exploring.
We ate at the hotel's Mexican restaurant, Las Cabanas and can definitely recommend. The margaritas are great and the carnitas are delicious. We also spent an afternoon at Kelly's Spa. For a spa experience in the Inland Valley, Kelly's is probably the best. However, I've been to better and think the spa facility itself is fairly small and kind of pricey. The relaxation rooms were very small and seemed crowded. The pool area is beautiful, but again a little crowded. Kelly's service was good and I will most likely return.
For restaurants offsite the hotel, I recommend Simple Simon's which is a cafe across the way in the little downtown area. By far the best restaurant in the area is The Salted Pig. The restaurant is just a couple blocks away and would recommend driving.
Love the Mission Inn and think it is one of California's treasures.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We had the time to spend here in December when all the Christmas lights were in their glory! A truly spectacular sight and to stay here made it even more enjoyable. The hotel oozes charm and whilst they have maintained the style of the hotel, the rooms were up to date and provided all the conveniences. Would recommend getting a room in the Mission Wing facing Main Street Mall as this is away from traffic. The restaurant serves a great breakfast and dinner, so why not absorb the full experience? Certainly worth a stop along the way, we were returning form a stay in Palm Springs.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor Mission Wing facing Main Street Mall, or overlooking the pool, if in a season w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The hotel exceeded expectations from the time I pulled into the friendly and efficient valet with 5 minutes to go before my first meeting, to the time I was able to see my lovely room, to the help I was given at 6:30am the next morning with two copies of a page I needed made, to the ability to keep my bag safe and car stored while finishing meetings all day the next day. The few dollars extra for valet (which I usually would not do) were SO well spent.

The room was very nice and at least one of the pillows I would have stolen were I able to fit it in my workbag (no way!) and if I thought I would not have felt guilty about it afterwards! We did get an excellent room rate for our meeting group.

Walking around the hotel premises is a MUST with the 4th floor (just wander!) leading you to see wonderful hidden courtyards, circular staircases, antique and exotic bells...great views. Security personnel are very helpful when you take that wrong turn.

Disadvantages: Walking around the outside of the hotel was discouraged..... and we found out why. They have made a fine shopping stretch on the North side but the other side and back of the hotel are no-go zones due to homeless. No business center/computer room for guests to use that I could find. Wi-fi charge that should be waived if they have no business center. No gym for those of us who have to be stuck in meetings sitting all day. There is no low cost option in the hotel restaurants or the spa.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We just returned from a 5 day trip to CA during which we spent Friday and Saturday night at this hotel. We were visiting my daughter who works in the area and was running a race in Redlands over the weekend. We loved the character of the Mission Inn. The bed was sooooooo comfortable and cozy - once I got to sleep. Like a previous reviewer, we had a room on the corner (an expensive suite) above the entrance. It was NOISY both Friday and Saturday nights. Fortunately, there's Melatonin. It helped. BUT, if you like quiet, be very careful about your room. I can't remember our room number for certain, but I think it was 248 or 258. The suite, otherwise, was very nice and roomy.

We visited the pool both Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday we experienced excellent pool service. I had one of the best cocktails I've had in years at the pool on Saturday - a Grape Mojito (this was supposedly the Mojito of the month). However, on Sunday all bets were off. There was no service in the pool area on Sunday. You could order drinks or food using a telephone, but was not the same level of service or quality. I ordered a grape Mojito again, only to be served a standard Mojito without comment. When I tasted it and questioned this, I was told that they "ran out of the key ingredient" the day before. Really? They ran out of grapes in California?!?

On to the spa. . . .
I had a massage at Kelly's spa on Saturday and I have to say it was a perfect massages - one of the best I've had. Davie - you are amazing!!! It was the highlight of my stay. The spa staff are courteous and professional.

Despite the less-than-perfect moments (pool service on Sunday and NOISE), I would stay at this hotel again. The positives outweigh the negatives. I will be sure to ask for a quiet room next time. If possible, I will try to stay during the week when things are more relaxed (no weddings or large groups) and I can wander about and appreciate the history.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the pool and entrance courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!