“Mostly Good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Riverside
Geneva
“Mostly Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We just returned from a 5 day trip to CA during which we spent Friday and Saturday night at this hotel. We were visiting my daughter who works in the area and was running a race in Redlands over the weekend. We loved the character of the Mission Inn. The bed was sooooooo comfortable and cozy - once I got to sleep. Like a previous reviewer, we had a room on the corner (an expensive suite) above the entrance. It was NOISY both Friday and Saturday nights. Fortunately, there's Melatonin. It helped. BUT, if you like quiet, be very careful about your room. I can't remember our room number for certain, but I think it was 248 or 258. The suite, otherwise, was very nice and roomy.

We visited the pool both Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday we experienced excellent pool service. I had one of the best cocktails I've had in years at the pool on Saturday - a Grape Mojito (this was supposedly the Mojito of the month). However, on Sunday all bets were off. There was no service in the pool area on Sunday. You could order drinks or food using a telephone, but was not the same level of service or quality. I ordered a grape Mojito again, only to be served a standard Mojito without comment. When I tasted it and questioned this, I was told that they "ran out of the key ingredient" the day before. Really? They ran out of grapes in California?!?

On to the spa. . . .
I had a massage at Kelly's spa on Saturday and I have to say it was a perfect massages - one of the best I've had. Davie - you are amazing!!! It was the highlight of my stay. The spa staff are courteous and professional.

Despite the less-than-perfect moments (pool service on Sunday and NOISE), I would stay at this hotel again. The positives outweigh the negatives. I will be sure to ask for a quiet room next time. If possible, I will try to stay during the week when things are more relaxed (no weddings or large groups) and I can wander about and appreciate the history.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the pool and entrance courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Arrived at Hotel early and registered. Our room wasn't ready but check-in is posted as 4:00 p.m, Fawn got us registered and took our phone number to contact us when the room was ready. We were able to get into the room by 2. Had lunch at Las Campanas and enjoyed a red wine sangria with chile rellenos and Hubby had the Chili Verde. Had dinner at Bella Trattoria and enjoyed a magharita pizza with salads. Prices are a bit pricey at both places but food was good. After a long night in room 304 with the noise of dragging chairs and a compressor going on and off thorough out the night as well as light coming through the sky light early in the morning we went to the front desk and was greeted by Cristol who took care of us and promptly had our room changed after checkout which was 12. We had breakfast in the Mission Inn Resturant. Our waitress was slower than molasses. Saw two other tables be seated after us, order after us but they got their food before us (go figure), When I commented on it, her words were, "Well, they have a different server", hummm, think she just dissed herself, the other waitress was running circles around her. We got a phone call when the room we were being moved to was ready and it was a beautiful. Room 292 is really nice and a lot more quiet. We watched the game in the Presidential lounge and had to ask the bartender to put on the basketball game and ordered two beers. It really wasn't busy but the waitress took a while, hubby ended up going to bar and ordering two beers and was back at the table before we got our first round ordered with the waitress and the beers she brought were warm. Hubby took them to bar and had them exchanged for cold ones. Had appointment for the couples massage and I must say the ladies were wonderful. They did a great job with our massage and they ladies who did our facials were awesome as well. The only thing I can say negative is the area where they had us waiting prior to our massages, very small and cramped and a lot of foot traffic. It is really pretty inside but the impression that there is a heated pool and spa is deceiving because it is the hotel pool and spa so after having your massage, you can enjoy the pool with all the hotel guests, (nice and relaxed and then get to experience the screaming splashing kids) kinda a buzz kill after the couples massage. Don't get me wrong the employees at the spa are awesome and did a really great job and were all very friendly from the staff at check-in to the lady who gave us the tour, the masseurs and the facial specialists I give them major kuddos. Don't know that I would go back unless they have a really great promo. Would go back for the treatment not the ambiance. Check out monday morning was quick and easy. It is a beautiful facility and would recommend for at least one visit to experience the beautiful grounds and rich history.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor inside are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Riverside, California

This place is Heaven.
The hotel itself is so charming, nothing like any other motel or cheap hotel !
The rooms are beautiful, very spacious, lot of light. We had a tea time in the lobby, it was a bit expensive (just like the whole place) but sooo worth it!
The pool is clean, quiet, and the gardens ....Wow!

It was a very peaceful and pleasant stay, I really recommend this "hotel" !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Absolutely beautiful property. We were staying at another hotel in Riverside as part of a group, but visited here because of all the great reviews. The view in the courtyard restaurant was gorgeous! Had dinner at Las Campanas, Mexican cuisine (tableside guac, yum) in a beautiful outdoor garden setting.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My stay at the Mission Inn was almost perfect.
The staff were courteous and helpful.
The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable.
The hotel itself is gorgeous.
The location, convenient.

My only problem was the lack of internet access in the rooms. Had I gone on holiday I would have been over the moon. The price to connect in the rooms was prohibitive for me and having to sit in the lobby to work was less than ideal.

If you're there, make sure you try the Mission Inn Ale. It's delicious.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Encinitas, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have stayed at the Mission Inn before, and love the uniqueness of this hotel and the surrounding area. Let me start with the positives: clean room, excellent service at front desk, comfortable beds. Now the bad: AVOID room 259!!!! Seriously! Call after you reserve and ask what room # you have. When we checked in, we were told that room 259 has excessive nighttime noise. In the past, when reserving a hotel room through the hotel's own site, there will be notes on certain rooms that you can expect noise. These rooms are usually available at a lower price and you book it, knowing you may have extra noise. In our case, we were told as we checked in and were given the option to get ear plugs. Well, let me tell you, this room was NOISY (on a Thursday, Friday AND Saturday night). It was not from some once a year event...it was from a college club across the street, people exiting the building from receptions and proms, and from the restaurant directly below the room's windows. This was a suite, so we were expecting something really special for the price we were paying (it was NOT cheap). In addition, the room, which sleeps 4, only had seating for 3 people, and that was after pulling over a desk chair.
On a side note, another disappointment was the fact that a kid (not ours!) pooped in the pool on Saturday morning, so the pool was not open the entire day Saturday (until evening). Our 3 kids were beyond disappointed, and we were stuck finding alternate ways to entertain them since we had planned on a day by the pool. Perhaps offering us a free cocktail or sending the kids a free cupcake up to the room would have been a nice gesture? But, we were simply told the pool would open "around 4:30". I know, NOT their fault, but still disappointing. I am always impressed by establishments who not only apologize and understand your disappointment, but who also try to make it up by doing something extra nice for you....especially when you paid the amount we did to stay at this place!
So, overall, yes, I do like this hotel, but I would strongly recommend calling them before you visit to ask what room number you have and where it is located in the hotel. Get a hold of a hotel map, if possible, beforehand to be sure it is acceptable. Would we stay there again? Yes...but with extreme caution.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the front corners....specifically 259!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The pleasant experience begins before you even enter the hotel. First, there's it's beautiful appearance, and second, as you're walking up to hotel, the 40 feet before the entrance is bordered by sweet smelling flowers. The interior is so well done that you don't have any feeling of effort. Very comfortable, very beautiful, and full of historic artifacts that blend right in. The hotel has a spa, great places to eat both indoors and out, and the price is very reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard. The pool, and the street might be noisy until 10pm
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!