“Really wanted to like it” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
El Cerrito, California
“Really wanted to like it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We've been meaning to hit up Daimo ever since an East Bay chef we know recommended it. We finally made it there last week, and I'm guessing the only attraction for the food industry insiders is that its open after all the restaurants close and the food it reasonably priced. I really can't imagine any other reason.

We were expecting somewhat traditional Chinese food in a casual well lighted space. The place has a bingo parlor quality to it, sort of cavernous and Formica laden...but that would have been fine had the food been better.

We only ordered three dishes and all three were disappointing. The pepper beef was greasy and under-seasoned. That said there was A LOT of it. The duck noodle soup was also under-seasoned and the duck was rubbery. We also order potstickers and they were doughy and bland. I know pot-stickers are not the most traditional choice, but if they're on your menu you should make an effort to make them well.

The service was...well...unconcerned. The restaurant probably has 30 tables and only four were taken when we arrived. We were seated promptly and then waited over 20 minutes for anyone to even ask what we wanted to drink. Many people arrived while we were waiting and received more prompt service...which I'm guessing is part of the restaurants values--they take care of their regulars first. Not uncommon in Chinese restaurants and the wait would have been worth it had the meal been great...or even good.

Unfortunately, we can't recommend Daimo. Which is a shame, because a good Chinese restaurant open late it, would be awesome. Fortunately there is lots of good Chinese nearby so there is no reason to settle for Daimo.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

San Jose, CA
“Great quality Chinese food...beware of pricing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Pros: Really well cooked chinese food. Great tasting food, fast delivery, everything hot. Good HK style cooking.

Negative: Prices seemed to be about 60% more than most chinese restaurants. I'm all in favor of getting what I pay for but $12-15 bucks per dish even veggie dishes? Inside is a little dirty and don't go to the restroom if you don't have to. And yes, I need to get on the for the 20% tip for a party of 6 when I have 2 toddlers. That's excessive and really 20% at a Chinese restaurant. I think that's why the place was fairly empty on a weekend night!

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, CA
“Bustling, noisy place; good cheap food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Seems a little bland to me, but maybe that's Cantonese style. The customers are 99% Asian, and the place is big, very busy and noisy. Good food at a resonable price. Open late.

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Super traditional Chinese, don't go here if all you like is mongolian beef and potstickers!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I got a chicken dish and...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

I got a chicken dish and there was so much cartilidge in it. nasty.