“A slice of heaven in the big city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Atherton Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Redwood City
Atherton Inn
Save Saved
You added Atherton Inn to your Saves list
1201 West Selby Lane, Redwood City, CA 94061   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Redwood City B&B and Inns
Groveland, CA
“A slice of heaven in the big city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I stayed at the Atherton Inn with 3 girlfriends for 1 night in December 2012. The innkeeper was fabulous. She spent personal time with us showing us around her beautifully appointed home along with all the amenities. Then, we spent several hours sitting in those wonderfully comfortable leather chairs in front of the "fireplace." Although she has a real fireplace, Tricia turned on the fireplace DVD-TV complete with Christmas tunes playing softly in the background. What a clever idea. She has a selection of adult beverages to drink while we just lounged about chatting with each other, with Tricia and with the other guests, who were no longer srangers by evening's end. My husband and I are also innkeepers, so I was curious about how it would go. My absolute highest recommendation, Tricia. Fantastic stay, fantastic breakfast, fantastic innkeeper!

Room Tip: the rooms in the front of the house have a nice view of the street. if you want real peace and quie...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Lincoln City, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was on my way back to Oregon and decided to stay in the Bay Area one night in preparation for the long 750 mile trip back which I intended to drive in one day. I stayed in the Merlot Room. It was comfortable, large, homey with a fireplace. The internet WIFI was very fast which was important for me to catch up on the computer work. If you like lots of excellent choices in restaurants, Redwood City has many of them very close to the hotel (Broadway/Jefferson area).
I recommend this B&B very highly!! Prices are very reasonable too and the breakfast service is first class. Jim and Tricia are great innkeepers too, very personable and they make you feel like you really are home.
I would not stay anywhere else when I return.

Room Tip: Street rooms are a bit more noisy
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed at Atherton Inn for two nights in September 2012. I felt very comfortable and relaxed in the room I chose especially since it had a balcony and I could enjoy hearing the outdoor fountain as I read my book. Tricia goes out of her way to make sure you will enjoy your visit, including hiring a chef to cook your made to order breakfast! My husband and I have enjoyed staying at B&B's for 16 years now and the made to order breakfast was a first! As one reviewer stated about no one poured their coffee, we have never been to a B&B where they did that (and we have been to at least 25 B&Bs). I had no complaints only rave reviews for Atherton Inn!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sonoma, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We echo the many positive reviews here. This is a beautiful B&B. Our room, the Chardonnay, was very large and the decorations lovely. Everything was in top condition -- nothing was "wearing" out -- the owners obviously maintain the building meticulously. There were so many extra little luxuries, too numerous to mention, like the overhead lighting in which could be adjusted with a rheostat, the incredibly comfortable bed, the gas fireplace to warm the room and make it homey. It's rare for a B&B to offer so many choices at breakfast -- eggs any way you want them, including french toast, choices of croissants, English muffins, etc. You can use the lovely dining room anytime to eat and tea, coffee, cereal and milk are always available. We felt at home immediately, and Trisha and Jim are perfect hosts. There's also an outside patio where you can sit and listen to the fountain. The B&B is set in a very nice residential neighborhood and we enjoyed a walk after our dinner the first evening. We are very fussy and couldn't find any faults!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Trier, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed during the Salesforce.com conference due to lack of a room anywhere in the SF area and being from Europe originally, I have a great deal of experience with B&B's vs Hotels. B&B's usually do NOT allow you IN their kitchen to help yourself to their fresh fruit bowl ( !! ) M&M's, juices and milks, cereal selection anytime, and a wine bar with free self serve California Chardonnay ( a real plus after meetings all day!) Now to the bedroom. 10 ft ceilings offered me a feeling of space and the colors are muted sand colors with burgundy bedspread. Large enclosed gas fireplace too. My balcony was a lovely place to relax with the wine listening to their waterfall fountain too.
I read the previous customer's review about their breakfast not being "good" and the hosts not "pouring coffee for guests" and that made me chuckle. Perhaps these folks are the hotel variety and have never stayed in a real B&B before. I have never been "waited on" with refills of coffee at any B&B. This is not a restaurant! Most B&B's actually have a sideboard with thermos' marked Decaf and Regular and Hot Water for tea bags marked Lipton, and you get up from the table and serve yourself. Here at this place, they have a large glass lazy susan where a thermos of coffee sits with REAL half and half, and also real freshly squeezed orange juice and (very rare) real Canadian Maple Syrup for your pancakes. But the best part about this establishment's breakfast that you do NOT get at 99% of any B&B is ...........THEY HAVE A MENU! Eggs any way you like, bacon, waffles, pancakes cereal selection and many breads ! Now that's what I call amazing. Being quite a breakfast lover I had 2 boiled eggs, thick sliced bacon, English muffin, 2 pancakes, OJ and coffee but you can have anything you want between a 2 hour window too. She has a chef that cooks for you personally. So I deem this place to have the best selection of breakfast items and the 3 minute egg was cooked to perfection! Also by my bedside on the table are easy lamps with a touch of your finger they turn off and on! And oh one more! iPhone/iPad docking station radio too. And the rates are amazingly low for what you receive. She was a very gracious innkeeper who didn't hover either. You feel at home but not "at grandmas house" if you know what I mean. I highly recommend a tour of Stanford Museum and Rodin Sculpture Garden nearby also.

Room Tip: Chardonnay Room is now my favorite. 2 rooms face the street also for a cheaper rate and the street i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Valencia, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful home, nicely appointed rooms with very clean bathroom. But we were very disappointed with the breakfast service. No one filled our coffee cups, that's up to you to do from a jug on a lazy susan. Breakfast was not attractive though the eggs were cooked nicely. Breakfast choices were boring.

• Stayed September 2012
Summit, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Agree with all the other reviews. Outstanding B & B, Almost all amenities and comforts provided. These are really serious inn-keepers, and go all out to make their inn pleasant and their guests happy. Nice rooms and public quarters, and very good breakfast. Can't recommend the Atherton Inn too highly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Atherton Inn? Share your experiences!