First, the good stuff: Room was large and clean, bed was comfortable. Free WiFi.
Now, the bad:
The room was at the front of the hotel, and the combined noise of the road outside plus the CalTrain tracks 50 yards away made sleep a near-impossibility.
The room also smelled slightly funny - couldn't identify it, but it wasn't pleasant.
The door didn't shut completely - it was secure, but still slightly open, which meant any noise in the corridor outside seemed very loud.
The breakfast (such as it was - bread, bagels, yoghurt, coffee and orange-flavoured-definitely-not-juice) was served on paper plates with plastic cutlery in the hotel lobby.
After the first night, the manager (I presume) asked how my room was. I told him it was very noisy, to which he replied "Yes, that's at the front of the hotel.". No offer to change rooms or an apology.
I pre-paid for 4 nights with lastminute.com. After the first, I rang them to see if there was any chance of getting my money refunded for the remaining nights. He spoke to Travelocity, who said no. Not surprising, given it was a non-refundable booking, but still a bit disappointing.
After the 2nd night, I decided I couldn't take any more, and left to stay in the Marriott in San Mateo, even though I couldn't get a refund for the final 2 nights.
Interestingly, the girl on reception said that Travelocity hadn't contacted them about a refund...
Anyway, if you can get a room at the back of the hotel, aren't fussed about breakfast and can get a very good rate, this place is probably OK. Otherwise, avoid.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the peaceful environment of Redwood City. Twenty-five minutes from downtown San Francisco, this pleasant community lies on the Bay Area's West Peninsula, adjacent to Stanford University and Silicon Valley. Redwood City is home to the pine forest of Huddart Park, a mountainous preserve which offers visitors a relaxing and picturesque setting for hiking and picnicking. Walking down Redwood City's cobblestone Main Street, one is able to get a taste of San Francisco style, while actually being in a quaint and small town. Cafes, novelty shops, and fine restaurants coupled with beautiful natural surroundings are the elements of charming Redwood City that will truly enhance your stay here. Your stay at the BEST WESTERN Inn is sure to be a memorable one in this picturesque setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Odigeo so you can book your BEST WESTERN Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Hotel Redwood City
- Best Western Redwood City
- Redwood City Best Western