“Not a happy experience - I felt unsafe!” 1 of 5 stars

Pacific Inn of Redwood City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2610 El Camino Real, Redwood City, CA 94061   |
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Redwood City
NC
“Not a happy experience - I felt unsafe!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We booked this room without having seen any reviews or pictures because every other hotel was booked. At first, when we drove in, from the outside, it looked like a cute place. The check in person was very friendly. We stayed in one of the non-smoking rooms in the back of the property. Yes, it was old and outdated, but that wasn't our primary complaint. The air conditioner/heater cycled out really bad smelling air. The bathroom was "sort of" remodeled but as I have seen other reviewers say - I didn't like the idea of no bathroom curtain either. I didn't try the jacuzzi so I cannot comment on it. The bed was firm and comfortable. All of the basics were there. We were tired from traveling and went to bed early. The real noisy stuff started at about 11:30 pm. First, let me say that when my husband returned from checking us in, he did comment on a sign that was in the lobby - "No guests after 8pm." That should have been our first clue to not stay there. There is a strip club "The Hanky Panky" directly across the street along side an adult book/video store. We didn't see either of these when we were checking in as we were looking for the hotel entryway on the opposite side of the road. At about 11:30 pm, the party must have started above our room on the 2nd floor and also directly next door to our room (we were on the first floor). Lots of cars and trucks entering the parking lots - doors slamming. Upstairs, people stomping on the floor - you could here voices, etc. Well, just after that, a group of loud and possibly very drunk people (not sure if it was men only or if women were there also) gathered in front of our door. They were inconsiderate that it was now after midnight and the noise lasted until about 2:30 am! They were up and down stairs! With all of the "carrying on", I FELT UNSAFE! I have never felt this way before in a hotel. The door had only one lock on it and I truly thought that any one of the people outside could have broken down the door and who knows what else? I did hear a male voice say something to the crowd like "You need to get out of here" but nobody listened to him and he left. We did not call the front desk or the police for "fear of retribution by this group". That is how bad the carrying on was. I am writing this review so that everyone knows what can happen here. We left as soon as we could in the daylight. We will never be back!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
PacificInn, General Manager at Pacific Inn of Redwood City, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It is very unfortunate that your stay was so unpleasant. It is hard for the front desk staff to know who is renting a room for a loud gathering or just to sleep. When we do get a rowdy crowd we take care of it as soon as another guest complains. We give noisy guest a warning and the second time we do ask them to leave the property. Our staff wishes we would have received anonymous complains so that we could have better accommodated you. Although you have had a bad experience we would like to make it better on your next stay, if you wish to come back please log in to your Trip Advisor account and show this review to the clerk to receive %15 off.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Redwood City , CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

From the moment I walked into the hotel lobby I knew that this was the place that I would definitely be coming back to. The hotel staff was very friendly and the hotel lobby was packed full of everything a traveler could need ...i.e. toothbrush toothpaste laundry soap and even plush towells. My room was average sized with a king size bed a walk in closet and even a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. Since I had a long day of work I jumped in the jacuzzi ordered some room delivery from New York Pizza (which wasnt the best). Then I went back to the front desk and the hotel staff offered me some complimentary cookies, nachos and popcorn. Definitely a place full of hospitality. Very clean and nicely accomodated for the price. I would say to sum it up that the Pacific Inn in Redwood City is a hidden jewel in the Bay area. I must say I was very pleased with my stay and will be coming back. I would also recommend this place to anyone staying in the peninsula of the bay area.

Room Tip: Great Location and Price compared to some of the other hotels in the area.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
los angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I grew up in the area and came back for a reunion. The hotel is not in the best part of town but is was just about the only available room in town at the time.
The first red flag was when I was checking in, I asked if there was something going on in town since nearly every hotel in town was booked. She said yes and that's why they raised the rate. They might want to train the front desk staff not to admit they are price gouging the customer right off the bat. They had added another $40 to the regular rate.
The second red flag was when still checking in a very drunk man entered the lobby, apparently he was staying there and struck up a conversation with the clerk that was helping me. Instead of asking him to wait a moment she announced my room number right in front of him. Needless to say when I finished checking in a drove to the back to where the room was located, guess who was waiting for me?
Third red flag. The room itself was very outdated but my mother and I were only staying for two nights so didn't mind. The room has a giant jacuzzi tub that after a 6 hour drive I was very much looking forward to. However, the bathroom didn't look very clean...dirt and hair on the floor. So I thought I'd go ahead and run the jets in the tub for a little bit to make sure they were clean. Glad I did because when the jets came on mounds of the brownish guck came out that looked like a combo of old skin and mold. I decided no to use the tub. But I believe the damage was done. My mother who was traveling with me suffers form COPD and within an hour of being in the room the coughing started and continued and continued until she was in a full blown severe attack. We were both up all night.
We decided we couldn't stay another night and as there were no other rooms in town and with the severity of the attack we left.
I do have to say the clerk when checking out was very helpful and when I explained why we had to leave early she immediately credited me for the second night.
Within an hour of leaving the room my mothers symptoms started to clear.
With jetted tubs they should be cleaned everyday with some sort of antimicrobial chemical. It was clear that this had likely never happened.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

This hotel was very accommodating came to visit friends in the area... its location is perfect and close to just about anything. They have an exceptional breakfast every morning as well as complimentary nachos, coffee, popcorn, and the best is their cookies their freshly baked everyday and are truly mouthwatering my personal opinion of course. safety is another key thing here although they have a gentlemen's club across the street, discreetly but still there... i felt my vehicle was safe as well as my family with the surveillance system which is displayed in the office. rooms are very clean and no weird smells like the place we stayed at next door (days inn) which needless to say has very poor service as well. all in all a great hotel!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011 via mobile

The area itself is nice because its located about 15 to 20 minutes near major cities like San Jose and San Francisco. Rooms are spacious and clean. Also breakfast every morning and wi-fi.

• Stayed August 2011
Ramat Gan, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

We picked this hotel for a 10 days stay based on reviews on this forum, and were not disappointed. Our room was large (Double Queen) clean and pleasant. The free Internet and hearty breakfast were a plus. And, no management member or Redwood City police intimidated us :) We will definitely consider staying again if we visit the region

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Mountain View, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

The managers are some Indian family that lives on the property behind the office. The wife that 'acts' like a manager is extremely rude and is ready to call the police on the spot if you pass their extended check-out time.
I asked for a late check-out ....it was onlt 5 min passed 12 o'clock and the police were sent to my door by the Indian families wife.

Also...their across the street the cities gentlemen club...(VIP clientel)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Pacific Inn of Redwood City? Share your experiences!