“Crazy guy threatening to shoot my tires out” 1 of 5 stars

You added Dean Creek Resort to your Saves list
Dean Creek Resort
4112 Redwood Drive, Redway, CA 95560   |
Cartagena, Murcia, Spain
“Crazy guy threatening to shoot my tires out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I drove through Dean Creek resort the night of sept 16th, 2012, looking for a group of friends camping there. I circled the place twice, stopping here and there to see if I could find my friends. After the second time, I sent a text to one and parked, waiting for the reply. Within a couple minutes a truck showed up saying I was parked in there camp site, so I apologized and moved my car. Just then, there was a man outside the passenger winder asking "can I help you?" My bofriend asked if he knew where are our group of friends were (they're in a band) and the man's response was "I don't know but if you come through here again at that speed I'll shout your tired out." Now, i admit, i might have been cruising a bit fast (15 mph?) but slow enough because i stopped a few times as we were looking at the campsites. I replied to the man "Oh. Wow. Ok. We're leaving then." to which he replied "don't you get smart with me I tried to be nice!" my boyfriend told him to calm down, and the man threatened to punch my boyfriend.
We left then, and the next day we found out from our friends (who talked to the man later that night) that his son was waiting in the bushes with an ax.
This man work and maybe even lives at Dean Creek. I would never come back or reccommend this resort until this man is no longer there. The same goes for his ax-wielding son.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Pros:
Kind, knowledgeable, friendly staff
Clean, shaded grounds
Hot tub and pool
Decently stocked frozen and dried goods camp store open 9 to 9
Lovely "glorified camping" cabins.
Possible cons, though we didn't experience these:
Crowded in-season
Smokers

I'm on a cross country trip with a friend, and we needed a place to sleep for one night on the road. Since we're both recent college grads, we're rather broke. We rolled into Dean Creek around 8 pm on a Wednesday night after 6 hours of driving, with no prior research into the resort. Linda, the very sweet woman working the front desk (she and her husband maintain all aspects of the resort while the owner is away) saw that we were too road weary to sleep on the ground, and too broke to sleep in a motel room, and so very graciously offered us a sleeper cabin, at a slightly reduced price to aid our financial situation. Linda was fantastic - super friendly, kind, and very knowledgeable of the attractions around the region. The little camp store in which we met her was stocked with frozen and dry goods, a decent variety of beers, maps and brochures that covered southern Oregon and northern Cali., and the odd traveler's miscellany. She told us that she and her husband are responsible for hauling all the goods to the store from the nearest town once per week. The parts of the resort we visited were clean and well cared for. The hot tub fits 14 people, and was clean when we used it. The ladies' washroom was average, with the addition of a keypad-lock security system (be sure to ask for the combo when you check-in). The cabin we stayed in was brand new, very clean, furnished with two sets of bunk beds, cable TV, mini fridge and microwave, small table/desk, and a set of drawers. It had a nice porch, a picnic table, a grill and a fire ring, and a spigot (don't drink, just wash). It also has A/C and heat, but we didn't use either, so we don't know how well they work. Our site was next to the river access point, and had one other empty site to one side. I can see how it could become crowded in-season (we're at the end of the season). River access traffic might become annoying at this site. Over all, we had a lovely rest at this camp site, and were treated with the best hospitality.

Room Tip: If you're not feeling like tenting, and you can't afford a motel room, the sleeper cabins ar...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Haleiwa, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Of the five properties for lodging in the area, this is the ONLY ONE right on the river. Our dogs loved it and we were grateful that they were welcome. We appreciate that the owners are accommodating to try to meet your needs. Very cool that you have your choice of camp site, motel room, or "swanky" cabin! We hope to establish a well priced corporate account with this location so we can stay again!

• Stayed August 2012
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Our family of 5 camped in a tent for 5 nights. Ok, here is the good: pool, jacuzzi, ping pong, lots of kid activities, shady camp site, very helpful and friendly employees, very close to redwood walking trails. Here is the bad: camp sites/RV sites are VERY close together. Here is the ugly part: the hot water in the shower stalls fluctuate from scalding hot (two of my kids got burned) to freezing cold. You couldn't get a stable temperature for more than 10 seconds no matter what time of the day or night you were showering. The campground does show its age, especially the bathrooms/showers and could definitely be modernized and upgrade the water lines to prevent the temperature fluctuation problems. Our campsite was right next to the river and the bugs were not bad at all. Although there was not much water in the river this late in the summer. We heard coyotes almost every night, sometimes very close to our tent so keep small pets inside and keep food and trash disposed of. All in all we would recommend this campground, especially if you have kids.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

We stayed for 1 night on a trip through town. There wasn't much choice in this town, so we ended up staying here.
Pluses: very quiet, foresty, campground-style, cozy, nice people around, very nice owners, heating worked well (although rattled pretty loud at times).
Minuses: very small, bit dirty feeling, found spiders and hairs in the bed, some walls have "unknown" liquid splatter on it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

I traveled with my 16 year old son and his friend. We stayed for two days. The place really is a resort, so much to do! We floated down the river, played minature golf went in giant Jacuzzi, and swam in the pool. We stayed in two of the cabins which is wonderful experience after staying in dingy motel rooms at other locations. It is great location for family reunions. The giant redwoods were magnificent. The managers Dennis and Linda couldn't have been more helpful and professional.

We will be back with our entire extend family.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Rohnert Park, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

Clean camp grounds, Easy access to the eel river where you can always find a secluded swimming hole. We felt very comfortableand look forward to coming back again. Close, but not to close to town

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Dean Creek Resort? Share your experiences!