“ugh” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Briceland Vineyards Winery

Briceland Vineyards Winery
5959 Briceland Rd / Shelter Cove Road, Six Miles West From Redway Towards Shelter Cove, Redway, CA
+1 707-923-2429
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Attractions in Redway
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: Open for Tasting & Tours Summer Weekend 12-5 Sat. & Sun. Private tours, tasting and purchasing by appointment. We produce distinctive, site-driven small batch wines made mainly from grapes grown in small plots in Southern Humboldt. Our wines receive recognition in well known wine competitions including the CA State Fair and the Orange County Fair, along with top reviews from wine writers. We are best known for our Single Vineyard Humboldt Pinot Noirs and our Brut Sparkling wines, while our other reds and whites are distinctive and well received.Our Winery is located about 75 yards up Ferren Road, off of Briceland/Shelter Cove Road, 1/4 mile before Briceland 6 miles West from Redway on the way to Shelter Cove.
San Francisco, California
7 attraction reviews
“ugh”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Went to the open house. Extremely crowded and understaffed. Wine was warm, and the wait was long. Don't recommend their wines either.

Visited August 2012
Morris1524, Owner at Briceland Vineyards Winery, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear SFOAnnie,

I am sorry that it took so long to reply to your review. Firstly, thanks for taking the time to comment.

I am surprised by your comments and wish I knew which Open House Tasting you attended. We have never had an Open House in August.

That aside, it is true that Open House Tastings can be wildly popular. We are a small business and can't always be staffed enough (our friends and family) to pour free wine and serve free food promptly enough. From time to time, lines form. One issue we have at the event is that some people want to chat with us when they reach the front of the line. I am open to suggestions on how to handle this better. Sometimes I feel badly that people have to wait and arrange a person to pour our Award Winning Humboldt Brut Sparkling Wine for those that have just gotten in line, and have not yet been served. Perhaps I need more staff for the event, but it is difficult to predict how many people will attend.

As the the person who pours the wines at the Open Houses, I am perplexed by your experience of them seeming warm. I take the bottles directly from our walk-in cooler to the table where they are poured. There are differences on the ideal temp. at which to pour white wines and perhaps you prefer them colder than us. We tend to pour them between 45-50 f. Colder than this, the wines are less aromatic.

As much as we would like everyone who attends our tastings to enjoy the wines and their visit, we are a small winery. We make wines they way we enjoy them. Taste in wine is a very personal thing. While critics and judges enjoy our wines and rate them highly, no wine is for everyone. Regardless, if you are back in the area we do set up private tastings by appointment. I'd like to offer you a free private tasting. That way we can be sure that you have the best chance to give the our wines second taste.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Andrew Morris, Winemaker

Whitethorn
“A delightful wine tasting experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

It was a delightful wine tasting experience at a beautiful, unique and quaint winery. We had a wonderful time visiting, eating, and tasting a variety of great wines. Everyone was very welcoming, friendly, and provided a lovely day. I would recommend taking a trip and experiencing a beautiful setting, delightful hosts, and delicious wines.

Wayne, New Jersey
“Unique, wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

What a memorable experience. Your wines are superb and the individual, warm inviting atmosphere are a once in a lifetime event. I will take the memories of this wonderful time back to New Jersey along with some Briceland wine. Thank you for your hospitality.

White House, Jamaica
“A lovely afternoon filled with entertaining stories, laughter and amazing wine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Briceland Winery embodies the spirit of our area with it's laid back style, natural rustic beauty and high quality wines. Missing from our wine tasting was the mass production, impersonal run of the mill tours that I have grown sour with in the Napa region. My friends and I had a lovely afternoon with the owners, I would certainly recommend this tour to anyone who enjoys great wine off the beaten path.

Visited March 2012
“A wonderful place to indulge in some of California's best wines!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012 via mobile

I recently spent a lovely afternoon at the Briceland vineyards with some of my girlfriends. We had a wonderful privet wine tasting, with included fantastic wines and some superb appetizers. The owners Andrew and Rosie, were very knowledgable about all of the wines, and they made us feel very welcome and comfortable.
I highly recommend visiting the Briceland winery and enjoying their wine any time you get the chance, you won't be dissiponted !!!!

Been to Briceland Vineyards Winery? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Briceland Vineyards Winery, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.