“too noisy” 3 of 5 stars

Cross street: Sapphire
Redondo Beach, California
“too noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I loved the food; the service was good. However, the seating arrangements were not comfortable and the noise was LOUD! Too bad they haven't fixed those two things because they do have the right food recipes to make them a success. Plus the parking lot is huge!

Visited March 2012

redondo beach
“Chaba's food is fresh and delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

Chaba's atmosphere is relaxing yet energizing. Chaba's food is always fresh and Chaba's currie dishes are the best in the South Bay! The lemon grass and coconut based soups have no close rival in the South Bay! I take people to Chaba when I want them to experience a really great Thai meal!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Encino
“Great Thai Food in the South Bay (think Chandarette in MDR)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

I'm not sure why this terrific Thai restaurant has mixed reviews, because I went there last night, and it ranks as having superb food, great value, and good service. For those of you that remember Chandarette in Marina del Rey, Chaba is owned by the same family (as Chandara) but the food, in my opinion, is much better than Chandara, and closely approaches the late lamented Chandarette. Chaba has been in my "hit list" for a while but as I live in the SF valley it took a while before we made the journey, but I'm very glad I did, and I'll be returning. The restaurant is very nicely set-out and furnished (I guess you could call it cute), the service was gracious and timely, and everything we ordered (I'll get to that in a moment) came out hot, wonderfully prepared, and extremely tasty. Portions were generous as well.

We started with Chicken Satay, cooked expertly and tasty even without the peanut dipping sauce (which had a little too much honey in it but it was still good); then we ordered hot Sake (excellent and a large bottle), Chicken Larb (very well balanced and flavorful, and not so hot to the tongue that it was a struggle to eat), Dumplings (excellent), and a small bowl of Tom Cha Gai (coconut chicken soup with mushrooms - absolutely excellent). Main courses were Panang Curry with Shrimp (all 3 of us), with brown, sticky, and white rice. The curry was wonderful, the bowl had numerous large perfectly cooked shrimp, some vegetables, and an extremely flavorful curry sauce (not watery). It was very very good and reminded us (although not the same) of the Panang Curry at Chandarette. Also on the menu were many of the same items from the Chandarette menu (catfish, salads, and lamb and beef dishes). The menu was broad and gives you many choices.

All in all, I think this is about the best Thai food I've eaten, with the exception of another Chandarette offshoot that also closed last year (Chandaretta in Santa Clarita), where one of the original lady chefs from Chandarette in MDR went to work for a while - she was an absolute genius in food preparation! If anyone knows where she went I would sure like to know - I'd follow her almost anywhere.

In the meantime, for those of you that are looking for good Thai in the South Bay (or in Los Angeles in general), give Chaba a try, we were not disappointed and all 3 of us that went are very very picky about our Thai food and Chaba delivered - we'll be back soon (or at least whenever we get the Thai bug again). Help them stay open, they weren't very busy on a Sunday night, and with the economy tanking the good restaurants need our patronage.

redondo beach
“Chaba is a must try for thai food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

If you love Thai food you will love this place, they have some of the tastiest food I have every tried and I have been around. I like the servers alot they have always been really nice and fast. I think the prices are pretty darn good for the food you get. I like the bar alot too for a drink or two I always make new friends there.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Has a very cool/hip ambience and the food is delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

Has a very cool/hip ambience and the food is delicious!