The comfort, view and location of this hotel overcome the slight shabbiness of the interior. It is clean and tidy, but needs paint n polish to make it shine in the lift/corridor areas. Having said that our room was very nice. Comfortable big bed (pillows are marshmallow though), big TV with good entertainment selection, big marble dressing area off the bathroom, but the bathroom itself was tiny with the smallest bath we have ever seen! Shower was good so it made up for the trough like bath. Nice furnishings and colour palette. Big comfy bathrobes, but no slippers. Nice toiletries and a full size hairdryer. Staff were friendly, helpful and professional from the valet parker to reception to housekeeping and the restaurant.
The big draw for us was the ocean view room and the balcony. Yes the ocean view is of the manmade harbour which consists of a stone sea wall, then the sea beyond right up to the horizon. However we watched a fantastic sunset from our balcony, then the stars came out and we had fun picking out the big dipper, etc. We even saw the kitschy romantic gondola go by covered in fairy lights with music softly playing (it was Valentine's Day so they were very busy going back and forth). The seals were barking vociferously and very entertaining but once the sliding door was shut you barely noticed them (plus the hotel provides free earplugs in every room). Next morning we had coffee on the balcony and watched the seals cavorting around in water so clear you could see huge orange fish in the shallows. A pod of dolphins made an appearance and stayed for over an hour, playing in the wake of boats as they entered/departed the marina by the hotel. Kayaks and small fishing/row boats pottered by too. It was so peaceful, relaxing and quiet you could hear the dolphin blowholes as they surfaced.
The hotel has valet parking ($25 per day) but cars are parked outside, no covered structure available. The lobby area is very pretty with high ceilings, chandeliers and comfy chairs, and has water flavoured with fruit on a self serve basis. They may serve drinks there at night as there is a small bar, but we didn't use it.
We visited Baleen Kitchen for breakfast which was very tasty with great lattes. There are a lot of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel if you want a choice.
Would I recommend this hotel to friends? Yes. Would U visit again? Yes. It was a great R&R destination for us.
- Also Known As:
- Portofino Hotel And Yacht
- Portofino Inn Redondo Beach
- Portofino Redondo Beach
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Breathe in the sea and all that Redondo Beach offers. Offer guests an authentic SoCal lifestyle experience in a casual nautical-chic environment, allowing them to relax and let loose, embracing their “endless summer”, endlessly. Welcome to The Portofino Hotel & Marina in Redondo Beach at King Harbor, a haven for business and leisure travelers alike. The Portofino boasts breathtaking scenes from sunsets and sailboats to dolphins and pelicans and is framed in the floor-to-ceiling windows and private balconies within this beautiful Redondo Beach resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Otel, Venere and Tingo so you can book your The Portofino Hotel & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.