“Some hits but mostly miss.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Redlands, California
“Some hits but mostly miss.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I previously lived in Napa Valley so I understand what style this chef is going for but he's missing on quite a few counts. Several items on the menu are great but most are just average. My guess is that he's never developed a menu by himself and that's why there doesn't seem to be a coherent theme. It's really not Napa Valley-level fare but he's charging prices that I encountered there.

Dinner: As a vegetarian there isn't much to eat except appetizers, which isn't acceptable and you'd never find this in Napa Valley. The only entree is grits with an egg on it (no thanks). So I got appetizers and a salad that was kinda good. They server said the corn chowder was "completely vegetarian" but turned out to have a clam in the bottom. She also had us keep our dirty forks for second course (huh?). My husband thought his halibut was decent. Appetizers were great though! It was extremely loud at our table as they put us next to a high school reunion.

Lunch I had the "truffled grilled cheese sandwich" which oddly didn't have any truffle taste. It was brie with caramelized onions which isn't that great of a combination. The brioche it was on was great though. Pricing for lunch is totally off. You can't expect people to drop $12 + for a lunch entree in Redlands. It's obvious this is true as I never saw more than two tables there at lunchtime. My friend's chicken sandwich was good but impossible to eat as a sandwich as they left the skin on.

I love the interior of the restaurant and some of the food items are excellent. The location is good too. I love that they have farm to table theme and Augie's coffee and a la minute ice cream!I think this restaurant could do really well if the chef were to fix the menu. It's as easy as looking at menus on St. Helena mainstreet and copying the style.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Decent Bar & Bistro in Redlands”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Redlands is one of the places in the Inland Empire where creativity seems to be appreciated or rewarded. The Lounge 22 has yet to truly catch on, but that may be due to the pricing of some entrees. I think this restaurant is definitely worth checking out.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Redlands, California
“seems like a fun place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stopped in for wine and nibbles after dining elsewhere. It was pretty busy and they had a piano bar. The food looked amazing. Its small but seems like a nice place to dine with friends. We will come back to try the menu items in detail!

Visited June 2013
California
“Was excited to try this place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was very excited when I heard about this place opening we stopped in last night for beer and a few appetizers. The beer selection was good they have local Hanger 24 and Ritual beers also a few Belgian style beers on tap. The wine list seemed nice but we did not order any wine last night. We tried the Portobello fries and also that three cheese sampler which came with bread. Both of these were amazing they happened to have Pt Reyes blue cheese on the cheese list which is one of my favorite cheeses and it did not disappoint. We chose to sit at the bar since we were not eating dinner. The service at the bar was fine but the bartender did not seem excited to be at work.

The decor in the restaurant is European and we enjoyed the new renovations. The lunch and dinner menus have many interesting things to try and we were excited to come back today for lunch. This is my main reason for three stars. We drove to Lounge 22 for lunch today only to find out they're closed even though their website clearly shows they are open for lunch on Saturdays. We found this out from an employee who happened to be walking into the restaurant the same time we were and proceeded to tell me they were closed even though we had seen other people walking in a few minutes earlier so I can only assume these were more employees, who knows... What bothers me most is I told the employee the website shows your open he proceeds to tell me ummmm, uh, ummmm the owner ummmm owners decided they didn't want to be open on Saturday for lunch anymore.. Change your website if you're not going to be open the hours as stated. This is a new restaurant and one expects the website to be correct. We wasted our time driving over here but lucky for us there are many other places to eat in Redlands. At this point I do not know if we will come back and that's a shame sent the menu seems wonderful.

Visited June 2013