“Military rate=no breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Redding
Okinawa, Japan
“Military rate=no breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I were given a military/government discount rate during our one night stay here. I was thrilled they offer a military discount, but was a little upset when I was informed that we did not qualify for the complimentary breakfast because we were paying at the discounted rate. The whole "take some away to get something else" philosophy doesn't sit well with me, and I believe we should have received the same service we would have without the discount.
Everything else was great and I was happy about the pet policy since it can be difficult to find somewhere to stay that allows dogs.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
SAFETY HARBOR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I ended up at the Red Lion when my flight out of Redding got cancelled (long story, DO NOT get me started). Counter agent at the airline was very accommodating and called the Red Lion on my behalf and negotiated me a distressed traveller rate. The crew from the inbound flight was staying there as well, so they got me on the shuttle to the hotel with the crew.

Have you ever stayed at one of those cool hotels where it seems like it was built privately, rather than by some chain that builds all of their hotels with a cookie cutter floorplan? This is one of those hotels. It's got a rambling floor plan, a very cool two story lobby, and just a great architectural feel overall.

My room on the ground floor had sliding glass doors that opened up to my own patio furniture. The room was VERY large and spacious, as was the bathroom. The decor, furniture, and amenities of the room all had a slightly upscale feel to them. The bathroom seemed to have been updated with nice countertops, shower stall, tile all around, and just a great feel to it.

Free Wi-Fi was a nice touch. The staff was VERY friendly and accommodating. Breakfast buffet was good.

The only drawback I could mention is a slight musty smell in the room when I first walked in. Like it just needed to be aired out. Fairly common in hotel rooms, so I didn't mind it, but thought I should mention it as the only negative to my ENTIRE stay here.

If I EVER end up back in Redding, I'll be staying at the Red Lion without a doubt!

• Stayed August 2013
crescent city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Very nice accommodations. I usually do not tip cleaning staff, but on this trip it was worth it. Now the rooms were what I expect from a red lion, a grade above the average. What tipped the scale here was that I was a very late check out and even though the management was rushing my daughters and myself , the cleaning staff kept reassuring us and even assisted my 7 year old with her luggage. THe breakfast buffet is well worth the price especially considering my children were free. A word of caution however, if you want to pay cash for the buffet, make sure that you so before they ask you your room number. I paid cash and then when I checked out, I found that the waitress pocketed the $20 and billed it to my room. The staff had no issue crediting my bill, but it did make me wonder. Pool and fitness center are up to par, so for $84.00 a night I was very pleased.

Room Tip: Most rooms are acceptable, if you really want the quite section, then see an interior or north side...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Monterey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Upon entering the room we noticed the filter in the hallway looked as if it been years since replacing and the vints all had a build up of fuzzy dirty. We stayed a few nights and woke up coughing. Thought it would go away, wound up in DR offices during the next few weeks of sleepless nights. Should have asked for a different room or went somewhere else. It is an OLD hotel that smells like one too.

Room Tip: Inspeck the room for cleaness. If not, go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ckorol, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Redding, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
I received your survey about the concerns related to your experience with the air filter in the hallway. I want to assure you that our staff does their best to insure our guests receive the service, accommodations and attentiveness they deserve and I apologize we fell short during your stay. I appreciate your concern and we are doing everything in our power to insure this does not happen again in the future.

Our consistent goals of cleanliness, food quality, security and friendly service require diligent attention to feedback from our guests. We have already addressed your experience to insure future guests have a more positive experience. Your added input has been additionally helpful. Thank you for your correspondence.

Please accept my sincerest apologies. I hope that you will give Red Lion another opportunity to delivery our usually impeccable product and service in the not so distant future.
Saint Peters, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had never stayed at a Red Lion before and I have to say I was very pleased. It is in a nice location, the staff are very nice and helpful and the pool is great! The breakfast was very nice. The rooms were clean and comfortable. And we walked down the street to a good Mexican restaurant (the one on the same side as the hotel) and had a nice dinner.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back of the hotel on the ground floor and was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for over a week and enjoyed every minute of it. I think I went for a swim just about everyday in their beautiful pool.

From the friendly staff at check in, accommodating kitchen staff and the awesome breakfast, we were pleased from start to finish.

The only place I see they could improve is their business center. While their computer is fast and up to date, there is only one and it is right out in the center of all the busyness, making it a little hard to concentrate when writing for business.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room that opens to the courtyard. They negotiate, so if you ask, you can get one fo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had a very nice experience at the Red Lion in Redding. The staff was wonderful and very accommodating. It was just my daughter and myself heading home after a vacation in L.A. The rate was very affordable.

Room Tip: Talk with the staff at the front desk and explain your needs. They are very accommodating.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Red Lion Hotel Redding? Share your experiences!