“Biggest disaster in years” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1830 Hilltop Drive, Redding, CA 96002   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Redding
Hood River, Oregon
“Biggest disaster in years”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I had been a very frequent customer with red lion but had gotten away for unremembered reasons. We checked into the property at 11:00 pm. The motel was lightly occupied as per the desk clerk. Quite tired we went to our room only to be quite disappointed and quite surprised. The list of deficiencies was extensive! I have never before felt compelled to take pictures of the room (which I did). We tried to call the front dest but 1) the telephone didn't work. 2) the bed next to the window was obviously been slept in without any clean up or new sheets, We checked the second and found it apparently cleaner but still apparently previously used, 3) There was no soap, shampoo, etc. in the room and only 4) 1 plastic cup. 5) The shower had been used but not by us. We had been on the road for over 18 hours and desperately needed to sleep. We tried the phone again but no one answered 5) I even tried my cell phone to no avail. 6) I went to the lobby and found NO ONE I waited over 10 minutes and finally retreated. The phone continued to ring. When we checked in there had been 3-4 behind the counter. Now not one!!!!!!!1

Came morning (545am ) I tried the phones again --still no answered and again lots of ringing. We went down to the "gourmet breakfast" only to be quite disappointed. (7) I am diabetic and there was no consideration given to diabetic needs. No whole grain cereal nor breads, no sugar free syrup, and no low glycemic foods at all. A man and son claimed the they had just walked in from the street to eat! We had to pay excessive fees for less than we had at Best Western in "nowhere" Arizona. Several other of the 6:15 am diners we also complaining of the lack of consideration to special needs. (8) All the "hot" food was cold to warm and tasted as if this was yesterdays food re warmed 8) cold greasy sausage, cold over cooked scrambled eggs, sweetened cereals , sweet breads and muffins. 9) No one came to verify if we had paid for our meal. I asked the lady on duty why we hadn't been checked to verify payment and she assured us that 10) "no one is verified because" we don't wan't to embarrass anyone" . I could go on but have run out of room! What an utter and complete rip off. Over priced, lied to, worse than Motel 6 by far and worse than any road side 1950's motel. I asked to speak to the manager but " Not on duty until 9" (am or pm ???) We went to our room to leave and decided to purchase some cold water from the vending machine (yo guessed it "out of order" A large cooler next to the front desk was locked and the person with the key wouldn't be there until at least 9:00.

According to their web site: Red Lion Hotels are a celebration of locality, for the traveler who collects experiences and understands that every trip ought to be a little bit different.
The traditions of each Red Lion city, from the West Coast and British Columbia throughout the Pacific Northwest, are captured by a warm, personable staff who can't wait to show off their home".

End of propaganda. What a crock of [--]. You advertise quality and guest services for nothing then charge extremely high rates and deliver less that Motel 6. I will not stay at another of your properties not will any of my more that 600 employees who travel extensively. Red Lion Will be banned from our acceptable list of locations. As far as I'm concerned they can go elsewhere or sleep in their cars.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ckorol, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Redding, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to discuss the issues you encountered during your stay with me this last week and also posting your experience on Trip Advisor. I was deeply concerned to hear of the myriad of problems you encountered. I find this unacceptable and I assure you these are the exceptions rather than the rules. Unfortunately, we fell short at every opportunity to deliver the quality of service expected of my team and product. Our consistent goals of cleanliness, quality, security and friendly service require diligent attention to feedback from our guests and I thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to report the issues and take the time to discuss them with me.

We have processed a credit to your Visa card as we discussed and I have sent you a gift certificate for a two night stay including breakfast for two which you should have already received. I would be grateful if you would give our hotel another opportunity to demonstrate our usually impeccable service and product in the not so distant future.

Thank you once again for your correspondence and time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at multiple red lions, each is a little different but the quality of service is always great. This one is more along the lines of a "basic" RL, nothing special but still comfortable. The resturaunt has good food but not good ambiance. The pool area is pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013
Springfield, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Disabled room is a long way from the breakfast/desk. Internet iffy, front desk of no help. Breakfast was good, but not refilled after about 1 hour. Staffing may be too short. Biggest gripe was front desk didn't answer calls. Guest Services was to look into internet problem and would "call back", problem solved, but no one called. Close to In-N-Out, Liquor barn, Casino, K-Mart, so for location it has lots of options.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Solvang, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Requested a king bed on the bottom floor near the car. Were happy with room 401 with access to the parking lot and near the front desk.

Great room, bed and bath.

Good in room coffee and tea.

Good food in the bar.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is the second year we have stayed at the Red Lion Redding during the first week of May. Both times our experience was very pleasant. The front desk personnel, especially Rozy, were extremely friendly and helpful. Great room. Clean and comfy bed. Best pillows ever!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool or Hilltop will be quieter than facing the rear of the property (freeway noise...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Not my first trip to the Red Lion in Redding and it wont be my last. The place is in need of some paint and updating but the largest reason to stay here is the staff. They are awesome. From the time I do the reservation through to check out, they are warm friendly and really helpful. Nothing is too much for them to make my stay comfortable.

The pool is great but little cold. The rooms are quite large. It is quiet, clean and really great value.

The only reason I marked it down was because of the breakfast. The 1 morning I had it, there were no burners on the heaters and everything was cold.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lodi, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE! If they had zero stars available, this hotel would earn it. This was the worst hotel experience I have had in my life. I booked this hotel through Priceline which was a mistake. My wife and I checked in at 9pm and unloaded our things. The room was very stuffy so I turned on the air conditioner to cool down and air out the room while we had dinner at a nearby restaurant. When we returned we noticed the a/c was not working. We called the front desk and notified them of the problem with the air conditioning. The lady on the phone acted as if we were bothering her and informed me that the building's air conditioning was controlled by the corporate office and it hadn't been switched from winter mode to summer mode and that there was nothing she could do. When I told her that it was over 85 degrees in the room and unbearable she actually suggested that we sleep with the sliding glass door open. The glass door opened directly to the rear parking lot with no barriers and faced the interstate. When I told her that was not safe and unacceptable she stated she could switch us rooms but that we were going to have the same problem with the air conditioner. I told here that was unreasonable considering what they charge for the room and told her we would like a refund and leave. She said that would be fine so we packed up all our thing and loaded them back into the car. When we approached the front desk she informed us that she could not give us a refund because we used Priceline to book the room. She then suggested we move to a room upstairs so we can keep the door open to the balcony. The hotel refused to refund because I payed with Priceline. I called Priceline to get a refund and they refused because the hotel offered us another room. I finally give up on a resolution at 12:30am and just drove back home all night since our plans had been ruined. Very poorly run business,

• Stayed April 2013
Ckorol, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Redding, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience experienced at our property with your air conditioning. I want to assure you that our staff does their best to assure our guests receive the accommodations they ask for with all mechanical items are in good working order. I appreciate your concern and we are doing everything in our power to insure this does not happen again in the future.

Our consistent goals of cleanliness, food quality, security and friendly service require diligent attention to feedback from our guests. We have already addressed your experience to insure future guests have a more positive experience. Your added input has been additionally helpful. Thank you for your correspondence.

Thank you very much for your valuable comments.

Been to Red Lion Hotel Redding? Share your experiences!