“Not what we expected” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oregon
“Not what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have stayed in many many Hilton properties, Hampton Inns being one that we never hesitate to choose... But this one wasn't up to par. The service was outstanding (as we have always found at Hilton properties) but the cleanliness was at a new low. There was pink and black mold in the bathroom, the room seemed dusty and there was a wrapper on the floor from the previous guest. Also, there were sticky notes on the headboards that said that there were clean sheets put on the bed before our arrival. I found it odd and DIScomforting that I was staying somewhere where that wasn't assumed. Overall, it was fine, not filthy, good service, decent hot breakfast and a good price but not what we expected (and certainly would have improved if someone had used some bleach in the bathroom).

• Stayed December 2012
David G, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel. I apologize for the condition of the bathroom and we will be taking corrective action in this regard. We should have taken better care and usually do. The sticky notes you referred to is something Hampton wants us to do to let our guests know that everything is fresh and clean on the bed and of course that should be a given and is with our hotel. I hope you will give us another opportunity to be of better service and I would like to hear about your stay, if that is the case. Our team cares very much about the happiness of our guests and their stay at our hotel. Your business is important to us.
Again, my apologies and we look forward to being of service to you.
David Grabeal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I am a Hilton Honors gold traveler and love Hampton. This one had a nice front desk staff but the breakfast and breakfast staff could use improvement for sure. We liked the room, though begin by the workout room was not good as the treadmill woke us up at 6am. Breakfast: the scrambled eggs were old and puffed up like they were microwaved. I made an inquiry and the young woman got kind of snippy with me that they are NOT MICROWAVED and that everyone asks that! That should be a clue Hampton, if people are asking if your food is microwaved then it is not just me that is noticing the drop in quality. Each day the eggs were kind of old when I was there at 9am.

Room Tip: Don't get near the exercise room unless you want to be woken up early. The suite was nice but th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Abilene, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We go to Redding annually for business for a week in January. This month, we returned to the Hampton where we were last year. The hotel is spotless and the staff is amazing. Gave us free laundry detergent, free water every time we entered the hotel.

Beds were great. Rooms cleaned daily and spotless. Great hotel and great management obviously!

Room Tip: Any room is great!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Weaverville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Redding Hampton Inn is close to great restaurants and a shopping mall. My room, was quiet and clean. I loved that the room was large, had a king bed and a long counter in the bathroom. The breakfast was very good; staff was great and the new renovated lobby is really grand. I felt safe and comfortable. My bed was a little firmer than I liked; however, it was o.k. The staff were all kind and considerate and very helpful. I definately recommend this hotel to other travelers.

Room Tip: I had a king bed on the third floor and all the amenities in the room were wonderful.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Since my last visit in April 2012, they have renovated the lobby/breakfast area. Although I miss the comfy couches, its a nice lay out and the breakfast is still very good (I do miss the fresh donuts they served a few years ago though). The rooms have always been clean and I believe the housekeeping department to be one of the best in all of the hotels I've stayed in the past year (30+).
A pleasant surprise is they now have a dedicated computer/usb charger on the nightstand (two plug-in outlets and two usb outlets). Extremely helpful! Thanks. We will be back in two months.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Redding, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel many times before. NEVER a problem. This time: Our room key never worked. Once staff let us in the room with their master key, we noticed a horrible smell in the room. After reporting this and being tired of not being able to get into our room with our room key, we were upgraded to a King suite, which was very nice. However, what we did NOT know that this was a room for the hearing impaired. It has a bell outside the room. Anyone walking by, can just press this bell. The result:very loud chimes ringing in the room and flashing lights. Twice at night, we had this happen. First we thought this was the fire alarm. We called front desk. He told us it is probably the battery in the fire alarm that needs to be replaced. Then someone rang that bell again and we were woken up with flashing lights. We called the front desk again. A front desk clerk came upstairs, however, then informed us that this was the bell. He disabled the bell then outside the room. Needless to say, we were angry and had no sleep that night. Then, checking out the next day, we could not get a refund, because we had prepaid this room over the internet. We were told. our next stay at this hotel would be free. What, if we don't stay there again???

Room Tip: Be aware of rooms for the hearing impaired. These rooms have a bell outside in the hall and anyone c...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
David G, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for letting me know about your recent stay at our hotel. I very much apologize for the room that you were given during this stay and the issue with the door bell on the second room. This is not our usual level of service and I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Rest assured that we will take care of you as indicated when you come to Redding in the future. Feel free to contact me in this regard. We do appreciate your business and I know that we will meet or exceed your expectations next time.

David Grabeal
Humboldt County Calif.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Spent a week in Redding, shopping, visiting friends, sightseeing and enjoying the restaurants we don't have on the coast . The hotel was clean, quite, comfortable beds, wet bar and all the amenities. Has a counter and sink outside the bathroom which is really nice.

Room Tip: If your a Hilton Honors member you get a free upgrade to a Jacuzzi Suite.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!