“A Pleasant Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Redding
salem, or
“A Pleasant Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Based on the reviews we decided to check this place. Could a motel charging $62 (tax included) be as good as others were saying?

We had no reservation as I wanted to be sure we would be staying. The desk keeper showed me the room, a refurbished end unit on the second floor. It was a nice room (but certainly not in the deluxe category) with a table and two chairs, flat screen TV, king bed, microwave and refrigerator. The bathroom had a single sink and a fairly new shower stall. Strangely, a coffee make was positioned on the lavatory. Even stranger, the handles on the faucet had no defined stop position. One had to find the neutral position to stop the water flow.

Breakfast, served from seven to nine, consisted of two sugary cereals, bread, juice, tea and coffee. Fruit was either apples or bananas. Small Danish pastry type rolls were available. They were fresh and good.

Restaurants with walking distance include Mexican, Japanese, and several others.

Train noise could be a problem, but with the A/C or fan it was never a bother. Our unit was also away from street noise.

The only problem we experienced was the cable connection to the TV. Fortunately, I was easily able to position the cable so as to provide adequate reception. Next morning I informed management of the problem. I’m sure the connector needed only to be reattached to the cable.

Wi-fi reception was excellent.

We could spend much more for a room, but with deals like this, what’s the point? We had everything we needed, and I expect we’ll be making return visits.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Vancouver, British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Great value,[ $62 bucks a night for a single], a nice big room ,all the mod cons needed,[mic,fridge, ,coffee maker , big flat screen tv,lots of channels.

Stayed a week, lots of places nearby for meals and munchies,try Mary's Pizza Shack,one block away, or
at the corner is Heavenly Doughnuts, [fresh baked doughnuts for breakfast!!] or for those who need there Starbucks fix i'ts another block.

Some train horns in the day, didn't notice at night,and for being beside a highway surprisingly quiet.

Room Tip: For a quiet room get 220,221,223 and the 100s on top.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Great stop for value accommodation! Friendly staff and comfortable bed. We only wanted somewhere to lay our heads for the night so we were happy. The only possible downside was the shower was a little harsh and the heater was noisy. That said, it wasn't a bad shower - just not excellent, and the room was so well insulated that we didn't even need the heater (it was winter).

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sparks, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I am a very tough critic. I'm even tougher on hotels during my travels. From the moment I make the reservation over the phone to the moment I check out I am writing things down on my little review pad. I write down things that are good but more often then not things that are bad since it's easy for hotels to disapoint me. This was not the case with the Thunderbird Lodge. I seriously could not find one thing wrong with this place. (Well, that's not true - I guess I found one thing but it really doesnt affect my feelings).

I called to make my reservation about a week or so before our arrival date. "J" in the office was very nice and said that we are able to cancel up to 24 hours before the date without eing charged. The reservation process was simple and quick.

We arrived in Redding around 12:30 in the afternoon. We made our way to the Thunderbird Lodge before doing anything else hoping for an early check in since my son had a gymnastics meet and we would have like to get settled and have a private place for him to change. The owner told me that they didnt have early check in because none of the rooms were ready and they were full the night before. We did have to drive down the road and my son changed in a Burger King which was a bummer so I guess that's one thing that I would change if I could. Not a huge deal though.

We arrived back at the hotel after our meet (around 7:30 in the evening). Check in was simple and easy. Both the owners are very polite. This is a family owned hotel (where you can tell the family lives behind the office). We were given a room on the second floor by request without any issues. This is a good property for smokers and non-smokers. They do have smoking & non-smoking rooms (I am a smoker). I requested non-smoking since I had my 14 year old with me but smokers are able to go out to the parking lot if they wish to smoke which is nice for non-smokers who dont like smoke right outside thier doors. They also allow pets for a small fee although we didnt bring our dog.

The hotel is very close to shopping and food. It was easy to find.

The room was very nice and comfortable. Another way to describe it would be quaint and modern at the same time. We were on the second floor. The ceilings were vaulted and had a "cabin" feel to them. The room and the bathrooms were spotless. No dirt, dust or stains on anything. The decor was very "Ikea" and in modern style. The wall lighting followed suit. The curtains were nice and thick and easy to close for privacy. They had real bedspreads although thin. I would have loved to have another blanket with me that night but the wall unit worked just fine and was not to loud. The TV was a flat screen and had many channels. They had a fridge, microwave and just about the coolest coffee maker I have ever seen. For my fellow coffee lovers read on. (If you dont love coffee skip the next few sentences):

I always bring a coffee maker on trips with me. It's a pain but very worth it because A) Not all places have them in the rooms and B) More often than not they are in the bathroom which, when you think about it means that all the toilet spray from flushing falls into your carafe and if the person before you didnt use the carafe then those toilet sprays are just sitting in thier. Ew. Anyhow, back to the awesome coffee maker - This was a single service coffee maker. It came with little pods that slide directly into the coffee maker. You then use your plastic wrapped clean cup and fill it up with water, pour it into the coffee maker, put the cup you just filled up under the coffee maker and push start. That's it. Simple, easy and SANITARY! I loved it.

Now back to more review stuff:

They have a Mexican place to eat on site which we didnt go to because we just wernt feeling Mexican that night. No matter however because they are very close to all kinds of places to grab a bite from sit down to fast food. In a brilliant marketing move, they teamed up with Papa Johns and put Pizza Coupons on thier room cards. You can get great pizza specials delivered right to your room. (We still didnt do this though, we wernt really feeling pizza either).

We went to bad that night around 10:30 in the evening. Around 11:00 or so an airport bus with a trailer attached pulled up to check in. The group was very loud and very rude and very annoying and woke both of us up. I called down to the front desk and asked them to tell them to be quiet. The owner told me he would take care of it and about 30 seconds later they all shut up and we were able to go back to bed. I was very please with how quickly the owner handled the noise. Around 2:30 in the morning however the group came back very drunk and proceeded to be even louder than before waking me up again. Because I knew the owner was probably asleep along with his family I chose to cover my head and try to get over it. This is NOT the owners fault as I am sure he would have handled it swiftly had I called him at 2:30 in the morning. I will be emailing the owner asking him to blacklist this group of people.

The breakfast is your standard breakfast. Fruit, pasteries, milk, cereal, OJ and Coffee. It was very clean and the location made it easy to get to and from any room with ease with your food.

Check out was easy and simple. I would recommend this hotel 100% to anyone who needed a place to stay in Redding. The price was only $77.00 for a Saturday night. Nothing wrong with this place at all except I would have liked early check in. Loved it!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Los Gatos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Historically, I have GREAT visits. This last visit I was in the 300 building (I usually stay in the 100 building), and the noise level was incredibly irritating. I had a toddler in a room above that wakes up at 3am and runs across the floor (not the hotels fault), and then there is a bar across the street that plays live music Friday nights...not pleasant when you are trying to sleep. My second night, it seemed I was the only female in this building (single nonetheless), and my neighbors were 6 seedy men. A little uncomfortable, and could have been planned a little better by the front desk.
This is just one visit of many I have stayed...ALL other times I would give this hotel a 4-5 star rating

Room Tip: Ask for the 100 building
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Waldport, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Very centrally located, within easy walking distance. As opposed to other reviews we found the bed very comfortable, the room temperature even (didn't even turn on heater at night). Fridge, microwave good. In-room coffee pot itty-bitty but then you can get 2nd cup at continental breakfast; sweet rolls, coffee, juice, fruits. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Yes, we would stay there again. FYI they have temp control on shower so if you like your hot-hot forget it. It's a safety thing.

Room Tip: As wife is light sleeper we did ask for a room quiet as possible. Given this Lodge sits on a block...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Brookings, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

The price is low. The room is clean. The bed is comfortable. The internet works. The room is small, the breakfast is meager, there isn't the slightest hing of luxury to be found. If what you are looking for is a cheap place to crash for the night in Redding, you've found your place. If you want any kind of luxury like large towels or comfy chairs or a nice breakfast, keep looking because they do not pretend to offer those things. And at these prices they probably can't afford to.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Thunderbird Lodge? Share your experiences!