“DON'T rent from Silverthorn Resort” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Silverthorn Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Redding
Silverthorn Resort
You added Silverthorn Resort to your Saves list
16250 Silverthorn Rd., Redding, CA   |
Berkeley, CA
“DON'T rent from Silverthorn Resort”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

Last weekend, a large group of friends went houseboating on Lake Shasta. Because there were so many of us, we rented two boats - one from Jones Valley Resort, and one from Silverthorn Resort. Jones Valley was a professional, courteous, and well-run organization.

Our experience with Silverthorn, however, was an absolute nightmare.

It began on the first day of our rental. Once our crew arrived at Silverthorn and loaded our gear onto the boat, we asked for the orientation and check-in, and were told that we should go wait on the boat and someone would be by in about 10 minutes. Two hours later, someone finally came by to help us get off the dock.

On the second day of our 3-day adventure, the boat simply wouldn't start. Again, we were forced to wait before a mechanic was able to come out and fix the engine - the exhaust pipe had come unattached.

However, the worst experience came when we returned the boat. With half of our group wanting to leave a day early, the Silverthorn houseboat was brought back to dock the day before it was due. Our crew scrambled to find hoses to wash mud from the floors (as instructed in our rental agreement). These could not be found on the boat, and numerous requests from the Silverthorn staff for assistance were ignored. After waiting over an hour for the hose to wash the floors, the crew asked how much we could expect to be charged if we simply left the floors muddy. They were told that we'd be charged $50, or perhaps up to $75, which seemed like a steep price, but rather than continue to wait, they chose to accept the charge instead.

When I returned the next day to finish the check-out, again it took nearly an hour to simply ring me up. When this was finally done, I was told that we would be assessed $450 for the muddy floors! I offered to clean the floors and was told no, that I was too late (although the floors has not yet been cleaned, the manager insisted that she needed her crew to do the job properly). We offered to pay even $150, but the manager would not budge on this issue. So I'll be disputing the charge on my card.

On the way out, I had a conversation with the staff who had made the $50-75 estimate the day before. I asked her to please write up a quick statement acknowledging the estimate she had made, and she said, "no problem, I write these up all the time." I thanked her for her help, and said that I hoped this episode didn't impact her adversely, she commented, "whatever, they only pay us $8 / hour, so we don't really care about this stuff." That attitude, from the Silverthorn in general, seemed to be prevailing.

I recommend houseboating on Lake Shasta for a wonderful, relaxing experience. But if you choose Silverthorn, be prepared for headaches.

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)

Been to Silverthorn Resort? Share your experiences!