“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Red Bluff
Eugene, United States
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have stayed in many Best Westerns and this one was not one of the better ones. The room colors were not particularly pleasant, they did not take my ADA room request seriously and did not book me into the ADA style shower I had requested and, while clean and convenient to the I-5, the hotel was otherwise not memorable. There were no toiletries in the bathroom. To be fair, the positives included a microwave and fridge in the room, they accommodated my dogs and had excellent parking for my vehicle pulling a small trailer. Also several fastfood and a cafe were walking distance. It wasn't bad; I've just stayed in many Best Westerns that were far superior for the same price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BestWesternRedBluff, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Antelope Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest:

We apologize that your stay with us was below your expectations and not being able to provide the type of handicapped room required for you. We have a limited number of ADA rooms available to our guests, and we apologize that the style of shower that you requested was not in your room. Those rooms were occupied on the day of your stay and we were unable to arrange otherwise. Regarding a lack of toiletries, we do apologize. Had you called the front desk to notify us, we would have happily remedied this situation. We do appreciate your compliments as well. We do our best to serve each guest to the best of their needs. We apologize that we couldn't accommodate you and we hope that you will give us another chance.

Best Western Plus Antelope Inn Management and Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Yelm, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Very attractive room rates here. Very friendly and helpful staff at this location. Located approximately two blocks from I-5 Exit, it has easy access to the highway. Though not open yet, they have a workout room facility planned. The free breakfast is consistent with other BW locations. A family restaurant and a Chevron gas station are immediately adjacent.

Room Tip: They make every effort to comply with special room requests, such as location or handicapped access.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
BestWesternRedBluff, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Antelope Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

We here at the Best Western Plus Antelope Inn would like to thank you for coming to with us at our hotel. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and operations. We are happy were able to provide you with a superior customer experience and we hope you come back when our fitness room opens so you can enjoy it for yourself!

Best Regards,
San Francisco, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Very nice and clean hotel. It was nice they had extra pillows of different sizes. The original pillows on the bed were too big, but they had extra pillows available in the room that were just right. The staff was friendly and the hotel was clean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BestWesternRedBluff, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Antelope Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

We here at the Best Western Plus Antelope Inn would like to thank you for your business. We are sorry to hear you had an issue with the pillows we include in our rooms, but we are happy to hear that the spare pillows we provide were a welcome improvement. Thank you again for choosing our Hotel and we hope you will come back to stay with us soon.

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I recently had the unique experience of staying in 3 different Best Westerns in 3 cities during the same week while hiking in Crater Lake, Lassen Volcanic and Redwood National Parks in southern Oregon and northern California.

This BW has 65 rooms, all nonsmoking, in 2 two-story buildings. Your room access is from the inside of the buildings, not motel style where you park at your door. Be warned, however, that neither building has an elevator so if you have a heavy bag and a 2nd story room, you will have to lug it up and down the stairs.

This was the 2nd BW I stayed at on my trip, but I liked it least of the 3 for several reasons:

1. Although this is also a BW Plus, it didn’t feel like it to me. The staff was not particularly friendly and I always got the feeling they felt inconvenienced when dealing with me. In fact, when I checked out, the front desk clerk didn’t even thank me for my business. I was the only customer in the lobby.

2. The swimming pool and exercise room were both closed due to construction last week when I was there. There is currently no warning about this on their web site nor was there a warning on my reservation confirmation.

3. The unattended breakfast room was very small with only 3 tables inside; however, there was also seating outside on the patio. The very small breakfast room also had 2 large (for the room) flat panel TV’s, 1 each on opposing walls, both on but on different channels and both with the volume loud so that you really couldn’t hear either well. Competing TV’s? And do I really want that much noise early in the morning? I felt like was in a loud sports bar. What were they thinking?

I was in room 259 for 3 nights. It was a large king bed room, but I won’t waste the bandwidth to describe the room in detail since you can get this information on their web site.

The room looked nice at first, but something inside the room kept stopping up my head down and giving me a sore throat. I never could figure out what was causing it, but it cleared up as soon as I left the building on each of the 3 days I stayed here so it was clearly a reaction to something in the room. This did not happen to me in any of the other BW’s I stayed in on this trip.

The in-wall AC and heating unit had no fan only option, which I like to use for white noise. Instead, it had to be on either heat or cool resulting in the unit constantly cycling on and off all night long and disturbing my sleep.

I also though the bathroom was poorly lighted, especially in the shower area, which had no light at all.

Be aware that the immediate area around the hotel still smells very strongly of smoke from the June 2013 Red Bluff fire (Google for more info), but this isn’t the hotel’s fault.

I can’t recommend this BW as I would not stay here again.

See my other 2 BW’s reviews for Klamath Falls, Oregon, and Arcata, California.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
BestWesternRedBluff, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Antelope Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

We apologize that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. I would like to tackle your issues one at a time:

1. We do meet all obligations and criteria related to our being a Best Western Plus. We realize that our property is smaller compared to most others with this description, but we are constantly going above and beyond to add to our property in an effort to more widely appeal to our customers. We apologize for the conduct of our staff. It is highly unprofessional on our part to not thank our guests for their contribution to our continued existence, and we would like to assure you that your business is indeed appreciated. We are sorry for this gross misstep.

2. We do apologize for the closing of the pool. As a result of the fire in June we are forced to rebuild both the pumphouse and deck of our pool area, and due to the large amount of debris finding its way into the water, we did not want our guests to swim until we could ensure their complete safety. Regarding the excercise room, it has not been officially opened as of this writing. We are still waiting for a few more pieces of equipment so we can offer a well-rounded fitness experience for our guests.

3. Regarding our breakfast area, we recently expanded the room so as to better accomodate our guests. The reason for the two TV's is because it is also a meeting room with full multimedia capability, although they should not have been on different channels. We apologize for this assault on the senses. We are currently waiting on new tables for the room that will allow more diverse seating for our guests as well.

Regarding your other issues, we apologize about your reaction you had while in the room. We use established cleaning brands to clean our rooms, and we apologize that they interfered with your health. With the A/C unit, you should not have had an issue with the fan, but we apologize that you did. We have let our maintenance staff know so they can look into ways to remedy this situation. And finally, regarding the lighting in our rooms, we are part of a company wide green movement to reduce our carbon footprint and part of this is our use of low output light bulbs to save energy costs.

Again, we are sorry that your stay was not up to par, and we hope that you will give us another chance to improve your experience.

Dublin, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I booked this hotel as a jumping off point for day hikes in Lassen Volcanic Park. I called beforehand and asked if the pool was functional. I was told it was (the beginning of a poor weekend at the hotel). Upon check in, I was asked, "Would like the 1st floor or 2nd floor." Having to carry call my hiking equipment, etc I replied, "First floor please." "No problem." I was also told the swimming pool was not functional and being repaired.

I was given the key to room 255, which was on the second floor??? Not a huge issue, so I go to the room and try to get in. Key doesn't work. Not only that, there is already someone in room 255. I go back to the front desk with, "Oh. I'm sorry. I meant room 155." Did I get keys to room 155 this second time? Nope. I got the keys to room 261. At this point, I didn't care.

The next day, after hiking all day at the park, I return to the hotel. Alas, my electronic key card doesn't work to get into the motel and/or my room. I go to the front counter, get new keys with the normal, "Oh. Sorry. They were only programmed for one day. I made sure they were reprogrammed for your entire stay."

I went to my room and, it wasn't made up. I call to the front desk. "I'm sorry. I don't know what happened. House keeping is gone though." I go down, get clean towels at least from the front counter.

Next day? You guessed it. SAME EXACT THING. Keys don't work AND my room isn't made up a second time. Not ONLY did my keys not work, when I got new ones from the front counter, they didn't work either.

I got absolutely no cooperation from the hotel staff, etc. It was a mistake staying there. One I shall be sure not to make again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
BestWesternRedBluff, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Antelope Inn, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to apologize for your experience at our hotel. The reason for the miscommunication regarding the bill was because we began an unscheduled project to build a pump house next to our pool, which required us to close the pool due to debris getting in. Regarding the room confusion, there is no excuse for that. The clerk on hand should have given you the correct keys the first time. We also have to apologize for your room not being cleaned and made up upon your return. There is no excuse for this whatsoever and we will be implementing new training to insure this does not happen again. We hope that you will one day come to stay with us again. Thank you for your business.

los angeles, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed at this Best Western prior to a two day visit to Mt Lassen National Park. I had driven all day from Los Angeles so the pool, bed, friendly staff, and even the aviary were welcoming and enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Ajit P, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Antelope Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are constantly trying to improve our property so that our guests can appreciate their stays here to the best of their ability. We are happy to hear you not only enjoyed the pool, but the aviary and our staff as well. We are happy to have been able to serve you. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will come and see us again soon.

Best Western Antelope Inn Management and Staff
Newhall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The second night of our trip was spent in Red Bluff. Check-in went smoothly but when we hauled all of our belongings to the room the cleaning person told us that it would be another 20 minutes before the room would be ready. It was 90+ degrees! The only thing we could do was wait and talk to the aviary full of birds right outside the rooms. We finally got the ok to enter our room and we were able to change and jump into the pool for some much needed cool down. The next morning we went to the breakfast room at 7 only to find that the tiny little area was so packed with kids trying to make waffles that we could hardly move. After we were able to grab a bite it was back on the road.

Room Tip: It really wasn't a restaurant but as a food area for a large number of rooms it could have been...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Ajit P, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Antelope Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We do apologize that it took so long to get you into your room, but at the time of your stay we had many firefighters from all over the state staying in our town due to a wildfire not far from Red Bluff. This required us to make special arrangements which slowed down our usual process. We apologize that this stopped you from entering your room upon your arrival, and we hope that you will come and stay with us again so we can right this situation.

Jayu Bhavan
Best Western Plus Antelope Inn
Red Bluff, CA

Been to BEST WESTERN Antelope Inn? Share your experiences!