“Great Hotel in Randsburg, the "Town that Time Forgot"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cottage Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Randsburg
The Cottage Hotel
You added The Cottage Hotel to your Saves list
130 Butte Avenue, P.O.Box 345, Randsburg, CA 93554   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Randsburg B&B and Inns
Ventura, California
“Great Hotel in Randsburg, the "Town that Time Forgot"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Actually, we did not stay the night but we had an evening meal at this lovely hotel. Pat, the owner showed us how nice the rooms are decorated and gave us a general tour. She has nice sitting areas, provides an excellent breakfast. There is a separate 2 bedroom cottage that cost about the same price as just a room!

Our meal was excellent, home cooking, modest prices.

Randsburg is a very nice, quaint, living ghost town of about 100 people. Randsburg is named after Randburg, South Africa. Interestingly, Pat, the owner of the establishment is from Randburg, South Africa, and now lives in Randsburg, CA.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

Having seen the very positive reviews of this hotel on tripadvisor and heard about it elsewhere, I booked to stay for a Sunday evening. It is just a wonderful little place, with delightful owners and a unique location.

Pat and David have made this a charming and homey, totally unpretentious retreat which is perfect for its location in this living ghost town. My room turned out to be the very nice adjacent cottage. Everything I needed was right there. Cold drinks, tasty homemade pizzas for supper, a very good breakfast and some great tales of Randsburg made my stay complete.

• Liked — charming and relaxed local character and individuality
  • Disliked — really nothing to dislike unless you prefer chain hotels
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

It’s a very cozy and comfortable B&B in a tiny living ghost town, very different side of California – a definite must-see. Everyone you meet in the street (not many) greets you and says “Welcome to Randsburg”. Good gsm coverage and free wifi. Very good breakfast. We were the only guests but for the next night the hotel was fully booked for the annual “Old West Days” event. Had a nice and informative chat with the locals at «The Joint», run by 96 year old Olga who’s been running it for the last 50-something years!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

My mother and I live about six hours apart and try to meet somewhat in the middle for Mother's Day. This year, she asked to visit Randsburg, a tiny mining town located just off Hwy 395. We opted to stay in Randsburg at the only hotel--I believe the population is approximately 85, so I was pleasantly surprised to find a hotel in town at all.

Our stay was very pleasant. We stayed in the separate house rather than in the B&B. My son and I had twin beds and my mother had the bedroom and larger bed. There was a large kitchen. The house is older, very basic but clean and comfortable. The owner, Pat, was charming and went out of her way to make sure we were comfortable with everything we needed. Even though breakfast was not supposed to be included in the house, she kept breakfast warm for us and made up a large tray that we were able to eat in our kitchen.

Randsburg has a small "opera house" and they had a Mother's Day melodrama called "The Miner's Daughter" which was so much fun. Other guests at the hotel make rgular visits to Randsburg coinciding with the opera house productions, which are just a few times during the year. I highly recommend both the opera house and The Cottage Inn.

• Liked — Hospitality of the owner. Charm of the locale.
  • Disliked — Long drive for food after 5PM.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

Randsburg is a historic gold mining town south of Death Valley. I've been there many times in my Death Valley trips, and always thought the Cottage Hotel looked like an attractive place. This time, I finally decided to spend a night there. It was a few days before Christmas, and I had no reservation. I called the same afternoon; in fact, I was only a half hour away. The owner was very cordial on the phone and said to come right in.

The entrance to the inn is on the back side. The walkway from the parking lot is lined with desert artifacts like old bottles, road signs, license plates, and sculptures. There is a small garden that guests can enjoy. A large, friendly black cat is in charge of the outside of the property. Entering the lobby is like walking back into 1900, with period furnishings, signs, and pictures.There are two breakfast rooms, a small one for about 6 guests, and a large dining room for big groups.

When I arrived, the owner had my room all set up, and a space heater going to add heat because the temperatures were in the 40s. She also offered some books and brochures about the Ridgecrest, Randsburg, and Death Valley areas.

I was given a charming room called the Quilt Room, adorned with fine quilts on the bed and the walls, comfortable furniture, and private bath (all rooms have baths). There was a selection of snacks and bottled water, and a basket of magazines. The rooms also have TVs. My window faced the main drag, but Randsburg is very quiet and there was no traffic or activity in the entire town, which is a time capsule of an early 20th century mining community. I put on my warm coat for an evening walk to enjoy the fresh air and the clear sky with an almost full moon. Barely a creature was stirring, but some homes were decorated and lit up and the Catholic church had a lighted Nativity scene. It felt very Christmas-y.

In the morning, Pat prepared my breakfast fresh: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit juice, pastries, and her own jam and preserves. After breakfast, she was in no rush for me to check out, so I went for another walk around the town, which was almost as quiet in daylight as it had been in the dark.

I did not have much conversation with the other owner, Dave, but Pat turned out to be an interesting person. Originally from England, she lived in South Africa for many years, where she has grown kids. One daughter settled in Randsburg CA because it was named for the South African mining district of that name. When Pat and Dave were looking to start a B&B, this daughter steered them to the Cottage Hotel. Like all good B&B owners, she enjoys the town, likes being an innkeeper, and wants guests to have a good experience.

The Cottage is small (4 rooms and a housekeeping cottage), so it is cozy and feels more like a home than a hotel. It isn't drop-dead opulent, but it is comfortable, elegant in a simple way, and the essentials are all there. There is not much nightlife or excitement in Randsburg, which is part of its appeal. I would definitely send my friends to this inn.

• Liked — Unique historic inn, comfortable, excellent hospitality
  • Disliked — Did not dislike anything.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Cottage Hotel? Share your experiences!