“So much potential, but missing the mark !” 3 of 5 stars

Morgan Run Club & Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   5690 Cancha de Golf, Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92091   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rancho Santa Fe
luclindy
“So much potential, but missing the mark !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The property is somewhat dated, but the location and reasonable rates make it a great value if you prefer staying in north San Diego. If the property condition and service was better they could command much higher rates. With relatively little effort of addressing the cleanliness of the facility and some customer training it could be at least a 3.5 star property, but it appears that the hotel part of the property is secondary to running it as a country club for local residents. The $20 resort fee is excessive for what is offered for services that are considered standard at most hotels.

• Stayed August 2013
luis i, General Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your room at Morgan Run Club + Resort. In the past few years we have invested millions of dollars in capital at the property. Within the next year, we plan to invest even more towards the hotel rooms and their amenities. I hope you decide to stay with us again and enjoy our state-of-the art fitness center, pool/spa facilities, and restaurant/lounge area. Please contact me at luis.ibarra@ourclub.com for any questions/comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Fairfax Station, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The facility is great, and getting even better. The staff has always been the best. I travel all over the country and I always look forward to my stays at Morgan Run Resort and Spa. From the moment at check in until I leave, I am treated as if I am a member at the club.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I am glad you enjoy staying at our property. Your business is very important to us and please let me know if you have any feedback moving forward. My email is luis.ibarra@ourclub.com. Thanks again for choosing Morgan Run Club + Resort and hope to see you soon.
Yuma, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My family and I stayed here on a weekend getaway and I was surprised to see how filthy the carpet was; the staircases were terribly dirty (black) and our room had a myriad of black and dirty stains. To our surprise waking up on our last morning, everyone was bit by something. My kids had bites on their faces, a few on the arms and back as well. As we were moving some items around ,we found little black ants in our bed. Upon checking out, I advised the front desk that we found ants in our room and we have several bites to prove it.
The girl at the front counter said that she would let her manager know. So, the following morning I received a voicemail from "Pat" just saying that it was Morgan Run Resort, no other information; so I called back and she said "I see you had problems with your room? I proceeded to explain to her as I did above, and she didn't know that ants bite, never heard of that before but did graciously explain to me that they do have fleas in the grass, mosquitoes and ants and all sorts of bugs and that is part of gold course living; so if you see ants, fleas, etc., that is just part of being near a golf course; most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard in my life - will never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I am very sorry to hear your experience with the room was not as expected. We will be investing capital this coming year to replace the carpets and improve the rooms/amenities. Also, my apologies for the bug bites. It is unfortunate it had to happen to you and your family, as I guarantee this does not happen often. Please know your feedback/business is very valuable to us and I would like to hear any thoughts/comments you may have. My email is luis.ibarra@ourclub.com.

Travelers are raving about these Rancho Santa Fe hotels

Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed several times now for small conferences. Rooms are older but very clean. Construction going on for new bar area. Fitness Center is awesome. I thought the customer service was very good disagree with other post. Food was good. Relaxing outdoor spaces. Price is right.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at Morgan Run and for giving us positive feedback. Please know we are investing capital this upcoming year to update the rooms. Come back and stay with us again soon and see the final renovations. Thanks again for choosing Morgan Run and we hope you see again! Luis. Luis.ibarra@ourclub.com
calhoun, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

The motel rooms are 2 star, maybe 2.5 star. Cobwebs and dead insects at the end of the indoor hallways and very poor acoustics. No hot water (tepid at best) on 1 of my 3 days. Luckily I work out daily which led me to visit their fitness facility, which is very nice. I would gladly pay $5-7 to visit the fitness facility, but charging $20 for Internet, which is really the other half of the Resort Fee is exorbitant.

If you must stay here, my tips
-get a top floor room. Acoustics are bad enough, and I think you would benefit from not hearing the guy upstairs walking everywhere. Although I had to lug my gear up stairs, it was worth it.
-wifi isn't that bad, but you must relocate away from the bedroom or desk closer to the front door. Signal was much stronger, and was good enough for Skype when I moved nearby the room door.
-no way to get out that resort fee, so if you work out, I highly encourage using it. It is truly a very nice facility.
-don't count on the on site restaurant. There are plenty of good spots to eat closer to the 5 freeway, only 5 minutes or so away.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
luis i, General Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear your expectations were not met. This upcoming year, we are investing capital to improve the rooms and their amenities. Please know the resort fee is a one-time charge so that Guests can take advantage of our beautiful fitness facility, pool area, free parking, free wi-fi, and access to our Lounge without being 'nickeled and dimed'. Should you have anymore questions/comments, please contact us and ask for the General Manager or email luis.ibarra@ourclub.com.
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I went to Priceline bid your price and was charged an extra 20% on the room at check in. I was told rudely to expect hidden fees and I should complain by Pat...so I am. It's both Priceline & YOUR fault (mine for not doing research or reading fine print ) but the customer service from all employees was disgusting to me. I felt if Pat thought it was 'ok' to charge me an additional 20% I could ask for a complementary upgrade. She looked puzzled and said 'no'. I asked if the hotel was full or close too, Pat replied no.....so why should I not get an upgrade if no one will stay in the room anyway ? Oh I know why Pat is incompetent and rude after reading these reviews....why is she still there? Second, I came with my child and went to drop my child off at 'kids club ' before my round of golf. No one was in the room and it looked like a run down pre-school and no kids? Eerie. When I met the supervisor I knew why, she was fake and seemed uneducated. I asked what she would be doing with my child 'oh board games , and play in the kitchen, make crafts' I stopped listening after that because quite frankly if your over 30 ,a professional babysitter, with no kids, there's a problem. I had folks watch her after my round , course was nice but over priced and I heard a caddy talking about his sex life with another employee at the check in stand....did I flash back to high school? The food was terrible over priced 20% charge on bill plus I'm supposed to tip, think not for a 45 minute and sub par quality. Oh the room by the way had stains on the carpet, dings in Furniture , the list goes on. My theory if employees don't take pride in working there why should you feed their paychecks ? Especially for an inadequate 'resort'

• Stayed September 2013
I am sorry to hear about your experience. We are investing some capital this upcoming year to improve our rooms and other areas of the club. In regards to the rude employees, please know we strive to hire the best staff at Morgan Run and if you had a bad experience with one (or many) employees, I would like to hear about it. Your feedback is a big part of my eyes/ears as General Manager. Please call and ask for Luis Ibarra or email me at luis.ibarra@ourclub.com as I would like to hear more of your feedback. Your business is very important to me. Thanks.
Elk Grove, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The place is okay overall, I was told that tennis courts would be included in the resort fee but there is $15 court fee per person so it would have cost us $60 to play there so we just used the public courts. I think this tennis price is way unreasonable as our family would ended up paying $240 just to play tennis for couple hours per day for 4 days which is what we pay for two months for our private tennis club!!!! Coffee is the best! Location is good but not super. I might stay there again because of the price but will check out first to see I can find something closer to the beach and free tennis court. Also, we requested a fridge in our room which they delivered but that came at a charge which no one told us about. It wasn't a big one but I think front desk guy should have mentioned it to us upfront. Carpet and furniture is very dated but that was already expected from other reviews and we don't really spend that much time in the room anyway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
luis i, General Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at Morgan Run. As a Guest, you should not be charged for use of the tennis courts unless you are renting a ball machine. Our apologies for this unnecessary upcharge. Please let us know when you are staying again and our Tennis Department will take care of you. This upcoming year we are investing capital towards our rooms to enhance their appearance and amenities. Please call us or email at luis.ibarra@ourclub with any further questions/comments. Thanks.

Been to Morgan Run Club & Resort? Share your experiences!