“World Class Golf” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rancho Santa Fe
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“World Class Golf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I did not have to opportunity to stay at the resort, so I cannot really comment on that aspect of this property. I did however, have the opportunity to enjoy a round of golf on their North and South course. The courses are made up of three nines, North, South and East. The staff there is extremely friendly and helpful and showing up as a single, they were able to pair me up with two of the best guys I ever played golf with. By the end of the round, it was a though we had been friends forever. The course is in meticulous shape with some of the best greens I have seen in southern California. The greens held well and rolled true. Although the course appears challenging, if you play from the right set of tees you should have a very enjoyable round. At the end of the round, I highly recommend getting a beer and something to eat at the grill. The menu is extensive and the food is hands down some of the best served at a golf course. Not only is this place top notched, but the price of golf here will not break the bank.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
luis i, Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for the phenomenal feedback. Our Director of Golf, Mike Lissebeck, and Golf Course Superintendent, Gary Vasquez continue to take things to the next level.

We are in the process of doing a multimillion dollar turf upgrade so it will only get better!

Our food is off the charts! The Executive Chef Michael Catalano takes pride in local seasonal products. He recently put in his very own garden. Hopefully you caught a glimpse of it before you teed it up.

Again, thank you for the feedback. We will look forward to your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Hotel was OK-it is in need of renovations. We had a large comfortable corner room that was nice enough. The outside patio bar area was nice as well as the spa facilities.

The only HUGE complaint I have is we left the resort early one day and returned late and we found our hotel room door slightly open after being serviced by the maid. The resort does not have safes in their rooms so all of our valuables were in our bags just waiting for the wrong person to wander in and help themselves. When I called the front desk to report that our door was left open he asked if it was "wide open" or "just not shut all the way." I thought that was a very unprofessional way to address a stressful situation. He did not bother to follow up after he told us to check around for any missing items. Luckily nothing was taken but it could have been a very different ending to a nice weekend.

We will not stay at the resort again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Rancho Santa Fe hotels

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

As a fairly regular (business) visitor to San Diego I have stayed at the Morgan Run a couple of times. I always book through Priceline and pay $100 per night (+ taxes and resort fee of $15 per night which you get charged when you arrive).

The girl who has been on the front desk both times I have visited (usually about to do the dreaded night shift) gives a warm welcome and has a great sense of humour (well she seems to get my English humour anyway).

Its a rather sleepy place and its not the kind of location you would go if you were looking for a lively evening. I assume there are quite a few people like me who stay there because it is clean, reliable, a good price and has free Wi-Fi. I also love the pool which as two lanes for lap swimming (see picture).

I've only ventured into the bar once - but can highly recommend the nachos with beef appetizer (picture included with this review).

I'll definitely stay here again if I can keep getting such as great price.

Similar to other reviews some of the decor is a little tired but rooms are huge and super clean. Also fantastic Illy coffee machine in the room (see picture).

Only minor feedback in room (I was staying in room 222). The chair at the desk was awful and not great for working. It would be great if a real office chair could be provided. I ended up having to sit on a pillow to work). Also lighting is pretty gloomy.

Room Tip: Book using Priceline.com
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

A search for a reasonably priced spa resort around the Del Mar / La Jolla area uncovered this Golf Resort. We were going from Monday afternoon through Friday morning so anticipated that it wouldn't be over-run. It was perfectly located so we took the chance. On day two my girlfriend said 'you did good!' which proved to be the case. As we spent much of our time out and about, seeing the sights, I must admit that our hotel experiences were narrow. We moved from our well appointed room to the outdoor patio area for breakfast most mornings. That was about it. As most resorts could do with a facelift I won't even mention that aspect. Suffice to say that everything was clean.The waiting staff were very good so all in all it was a great find. The location and the price were first class and I'd have no hesitation in going back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Coastal NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was a little worried when I read the reviews of this hotel after bidding on priceline but my friend and I loved it. It is out of the way but not far from anything and very clean. The hotel hallways and the desk and dressers could use and update but the rooms were clean and big. We also had a nice balcony. It was very quiet, which we realized was because a wedding party was also staying, we did hear them when they came in but only in the hallways.

The coffee maker was interesting as we couldn't find the directions so we found a Youtube video, and sure enough we then found the directions shortly after which were on a card near the machine.

I would definitely stay here again as this was a pleasant, peaceful place to stay just a few miles from Del Mar. There was a resort fee, but it was nice to have parking that didn't cost 35 dollars a night!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Colleyville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Pros:
- Good location; hidden location, a little far away from the main hwy 5. Has a great golf course.

Cons:
- Rooms look a little dated. They have tried hard to change the look and feel, but I still think that they may look a little dated. AC was slightly noisy and slow to respond.
- Resort fees. $15. Not good if you just need an overnight stay. Maybe for other things, it may be better - e.g. Golf, etc.
- Rollaway bed fee of $10.

Room Tip: If you get a second floor room, there are no elevators.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mammoth Lakes, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I enjoyed the quiet and the room had a non-hotel "feel" to it which was a real treat. The pool was lovely, I took advantage of a nice Yoga class as well. The employees are wonderful, except for one unfriendly, clueless front desk person. When I asked about the cause of the early morning smoke alarm, she just said: "caused by steamy shower, happens all the time". Since it was a bit early in the morning & a bit unnerving, she could have said: "sorry if you were inconvenienced"! Not a mean woman, just clueless. The club house is really nice, the grounds are gorgeous and we booked the room last minute so we got a great rate directly through the hotel. The room was comfy & clean & quiet, works for me!

Room Tip: We were on an upper floor, left the slider open & didn't have any A/C noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
luis i, Manager at Morgan Run Club & Resort, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
I would like to start out by sincerely thanking you for the feedback. It is this feedback that allows us to take quality and service to the next level.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed the yoga class and non-hotel feel. The Team here continues to try and add amenity to Guests hotel stay. We have the privledge of being a private Club and a resort in one. This allows our staff to focus on personalized service and taking things to the next level.

Regarding your interaction with the front desk I do apologize. I will definitely pass this nore on to our Front Desk Supervisor Pat Swinehart so that she can try and address the communication issue.

Again, thank you for the feedback and we look forward to your next stay.

Been to Morgan Run Club & Resort? Share your experiences!