“We were only missing the Chinese spinning plates” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rancho Santa Fe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“We were only missing the Chinese spinning plates”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Today I needed to find a place I could take my wife for a relaxing quite night. After reading reviews this looked like a great spot.

We checked in to a very nice cottage, relaxed a bit then walked the neighborhood for a nice restaurant. Not much, so we opted for the restaurant in the boutique/spa hotel.

After being seated at 7:15, the restaurant began to turn into a country club atmosphere on Christmas. We were overrun by local children (not that we don't like children) and family's. The service began to be effected and the entire diner fell apart, pretty much ruining the relaxing night at a spa hotel.

When a hotel begins to try and be something for everyone it cannot be counted on to deliver what it promises. If your looking for a peaceful retreat - be careful here - the management does not hold true to its values.

Disappointed!

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Jerome S, General Manager at The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Onetreegroup.

Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay and my apologies for your experience. As you can read from other reviews in general we are a romantic getaway for a relaxed experience.

Our restaurant caters to a large outside audience as well as our hotel guests and unfortunately this past Friday happened to be the last Cotillion of the season and many parents decided to celebrate this with their kids. I readily admit that we were not prepared for such an influx of customers and it certainly affected service that night. This is certainly not the norm for our hotel where the majority of our guests rave about the food and service in the restaurant.

I hope you will give us another try in the future so you can experience what all our other guests are raving about.

Again my apologies and I hope to hear from you.

Jerome Strack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Inn is beautiful clean and classy. Everything one might expect from a 4 to 5 star joint. The wife and I deiced to stay there after we spent the day at San Diego wild safari park.

1) Perfect place to call home after a day of fun filled activities.
2) World class grounds and restaurant.
3) Quite lounge style pool and spa.
4) Beautiful and with tones of character.
5) Located walking distance for adorable restaurants.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Jerome S, General Manager at The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Max,

Thank you for your recent stay and the great review you posted. I love your list of reasons people should stay here. We hope you come back soon and often.

La Mirada, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked a room here for my girlfriends birthday. We like traveling around and trying new places. We are by no means wealthy people but enjoy staying in places that we save for in an attempt to enjoy a few of the finer things in life. We arrived after dark and since you are driving through a wealthy neighborhood of multi million dollar homes and no street lights it's a bit tricky to find your way around.

Upon our arrival the valet was very helpful in pointing us in the right direction to check in. The gentleman (forgot name, slight British accent) was very helpful checking us in and directing us to our room.

I was very disappointed in the room (#501) compared to other high end properties I have stayed at. First, it is "off property" across the street from the main property down a little driveway. I initially drove past the driveway because it is completely dark at night (no street lights). Once I was able to find it I was disappointed. The 500 building is basically an old house converted into 4 or 5 suites. By the shape of the building my room (#501) was the garage of the old house. Inside the room it was ok but nothing that WOWWED you at all. I also noticed the house was on a raised foundation which would prove to be horrible the next day.

Since we arrived after dark we decided to try the bar for an appetizer and glass of wine. Bring your bag of gold schillings. We ordered a salad which was literally 5 small spears of lettuce with the thinest apple slices I had ever seen and a few candied walnuts. That and 2 glasses of Chardonnay set me back $40. Look, I understand quality, presentation and atmosphere etc.. But come on really? We ended up asking the very helpful waitress if we could get some guacamole and chips which she scored for us. Another thing I noticed is they have a lot of things that are not on the menu but you can ask for anything and I'm sure they'll make it happen.

So back to our room we go trekking through the darkness. Taking a look at the room again and I'm still not impressed. Time for a great night of sleep on some premium up scale sheets and mattress right? No way Jose. The bed had the hardest mattress I have ever slept, er....tried to sleep on. Maybe the good beds were on the main property? Then morning comes and we are awaken by housekeeping staff members cleaning the adjoining suites. I'm not knocking them but they are loud and constantly talking on walkie talkies back and forth with other staff members in Spanish. At 9:00 am it's not the most pleasant way to wake up.

Off to our massages at the spa. The spa is very nice and a $50 spa credit was included in my room reservation. Big thanks for that because the massages were over $300 (gulp). The massages were very good and both masseuses were excellent. I actually think hanging at the spa for a few minutes afterward was one of the more enjoyable experiences.

I spent most of the day enjoying Solana Beach so I didn't hang around the Inn to check anything else out. Upon our return for the evening we had a 7:00 pm reservation on the restaurant patio for dinner. Our waiter was Christopher and he was spot on and an excellent waiter for sure. I ordered a burger and fries that was not on the menu and it was very delicious. My girlfriend had the chicken and she said it was excellent. I really can't commend Christopher enough. You just don't see many professional waiters these days. He made the dinning experience that much better.

So it was back to the room for the evening and I had hoped the extra firm bed was just my imagination or adjustment to a bed that was not mine. Nope, still stiff as a board and I was completely sore in the morning when I woke by 9:00 am sharp to the sound of Hispanic housekeepers in the next suite. Yea they were loud, but in their defense, it's hard to be quite on a raised foundation floor. The place is literally an echo chamber.

Now wide awake I made a cup of coffee and stepped out the back doors onto the patio to enjoy the morning air. Again, nothing special. My view was a neighbors back yard. Nothing inviting about the patios. Two chairs and a small table on bricks. It might have been nice to have chaise loungers to relax on and umbrellas.

Lastly, I had to call guest services to get a wi-fi password. That should have been provided during check in as it is with most properties.

Anyway, I can't say I'd recommend the Inn. For the price you can certainly find better places. I know, I've stayed in many

Room Tip: Stay clear of the 500 building
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Jerome S, General Manager at The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Bsaw,

I am so sorry to read you did not feel the Inn worth the hype. From your review it appears you received excellent service from our staff, which I enjoy reading.

I am also sorry to read that you found the bed to be uncomfortable. It is the same bed as we have in all our rooms and in general we receive many compliments about our beds and bedding package. My apologies about the room attendants being loud at 9am in the morning. This has been addressed with the department manager.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

...A fantastic weekend with my sweetheart at this amazing Inn! The service was outstanding in every way. The food at the restaurant was second to none. The grounds were peaceful and perfectly groomed.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the place.
Dear Brett,

So glad to read that you and your sweetheart enjoyed your stay. We do our utmost to make our guest feel pampered. We hope to see you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We can't say enough great things about The Inn. It is everything the website promises, and more. When you arrive at the quiet and beautiful property, you are immediately greeted by friendly staff that direct you to where to go. As you check in the staffordable is courteous, friendly, funny, and accommodating. We love to check in and then enjoy a drink from the bar while sitting out near the main garden area. The rooms are gorgeous, and immaculate. We have stayed multiple times, and each time we have tried a different type of room, and have never been let down! The last time we stated we were celebrating our anniversary, and they even sent a complimentary bottle of champagne for us to celebrate. this last time we also had the pleasure of going to the restaurant to eat dinner, and our waiter Christopher was one of the best we've ever had. He was attentive, friendly, funny, and seemed to embody the the mission of The Inn. Obviously we love this place, and it will be a piece of paradise we visit as frequently ad possible.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Casey,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and this great review. I am glad you continue to enjoy your stays with us and we hope to see you back soon. Happy belated anniversary.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Amazing

We go back year after year and each time it gets better. It is to us a little piece of heaven. The rooms and cottages are all laid out around magnificent gardens and the hotel itself is in the town of Rancho Santa Fe (a town a few miles from downtown San Diego) which in itself is a really beautiful quiet town with some really good restaurants and cafes. The hotel has the wonderful Morada restaurant (with an outside patio overlooking the gardens and main tree lined street of the town) and we ate there several times. The food is superb as are the cocktails served in the bar. The staff are so nice, with a special mention for Chris, Scott and Alexander, who were so helpful! The local golf course and tennis club are right beside the hotel and are available for hotel guests. There is also horse riding and biking. There are amazing shopping centres and all the sights that San Diego has to offer which are only a 20 minute drive by car and La Jolla and Del Mar beaches are also just minutes away.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Daphne,

Thank you for our recent stay and your wonderful review you posted. I am excited to read that you find us to become better year after year. It is our goal to have our guest receive excellent service from the staff and have an amazing experience here. So glad we managed to give you such an experience.

We hope to see you back soon and often.

jerome
San Marcos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe is the best hotel in San Diego. The rooms are amazing and the staff are welcoming and friendly. We love the restaurant and bar, the best food and service found anywhere. I also want to mention the great classic pool at the inn. The patio furniture was comfortable and we enjoyed the poolside food that was delivered. My wife and I our regular customers of the hotel and can't wait to return. Thank you to everyone who works at the Rancho Inn for making it such a special place. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

Jimmy,

Thanks for your recent stay and so glad to read you found it to be very romantic. We hope to see you back soon

Jerome

Been to The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe? Share your experiences!