“Very pampering and nice, but too spread out” 4 of 5 stars

Rancho Valencia
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   5921 Valencia Circle, Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92067   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rancho Santa Fe
New York City, New York
“Very pampering and nice, but too spread out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I did not have the most amazing time here, but mostly because I was here on business by myself.

I think it would be ideal for a couple wanting a romantic weekend away. The villas were lovely and large. The staff were wonderful and the restaurant was terrific.

Why not five? If I want to go to Southern California, I want a view. The Ocean, a canyon, something.

Also, the resort is far too spread out. Privacy is nice and all, but on a chilly night it's a hike to get anywhere. Calling and then waiting for the golf cart is not much better. Not to mention that the golf cart taking me and my luggage to my room got completely lost. Driving aimlessly around in the chilly darkness is not very welcoming.

Room Tip: Get a villa close to the main building. ALL villas are very private so no need to worry about that.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Simon C, General Manager at Rancho Valencia, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear NYCDesign78,

Thank you for your comments following your recent business visit. I was pleased to hear that you found Rancho Valencia to be pampering and private, and enjoyed the spacious layout of our casitas. The size of the property allows us to offer amenities you may not find at other resorts such as our Serenity Yoga Pavilion, 18 tennis courts and our 12,000 square foot spa.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the bell service. I have personally addressed your comments with the staff. We hope that you will consider visiting us again.

Best wishes,

Simon Chen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Escondido, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I'm not sure if Aubrey (the Front Desk agent) was smiling from ear to ear was for me or because of me; all I know is that she was just as excited for my stay at the RVR as I was. Maybe it was the feeling of sneaking away just a few miles from home ... or the feeling of sheer delight, but I can't remember feeling that elated in a while. Brian (Bellman) took me to my room and enthusiastically showed me everything there was to see about my room. Jacuzzi, fire places, mini bar, bath tub and yes of course the ever exciting king of toilets! My date had yet to arrive so I decided that a bubble bath was in order. After soaking in the tub, I called in room dining to select my delights for the evening and for breakfast the next morning. Allison helped me select my dinner and breakfast that was to be delivered later. Shortly thereafter, my date and I were off to the Pony Room. Brian picked us up and delivered us in style, with white knuckles, to the recently added "casual dining and bar." I felt like I was sitting at the "grown ups" table. We met a delightful couple who was in the process of deciding whether or not they were going to join the Spa at Rancho Valencia (if I haven't mentioned, the resort recent underwent a massive remodel that included the Fitness component of the Spa. The Yoga Pavilion alone is worth the trip out to RVR). They were delightful and were as excited about Rancho Valencia as I am. The marveled at the experience that I was about to embark upon for the night swooned over the atmosphere and decor. With hugs goodbye, we left the Pony Room to head back to our private oasis to await the arrival of dinner. On cue, dinner was delivered and set up moments after we returned back to our Casita. The spread before us consisted of the Cod, the aged steak, the lobster salad served with asparagus, french fries and mashed potatoes. Robert is ever the perfectionist and absolutely set me up for success. Dinner was sublime; I believe I dreamed of the lobster salad. Donned in RVR robes, we ate dinner by the fire and barely spoke. The evening ended with a soak in our jacuzzi. I don't think I moved once during the night. Breakfast delivered by Seraffin was exactly what we needed (did I mention we ordered chocolate shakes to go with our breakfast?). As if all of that weren't enough, I was able to end my experience with a spa treatment. I indulged in the 120 minute 6th Sense (you must peruse the Spa Menu of Services!). It was the perfect ending to a perfect night.

I have been very blessed in my life. I have traveled extensively and visited many exquisite places. I still cannot believe that I live near likely the most precious and rare of resorts. I appreciate the opportunity to experience all that RVR had to offer. Thank you!

Thank you!

kristin

Room Tip: Ask to be in one of the "Valencia" suites. Each boasts it's own outdoor fireplace and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Very impressed with the recent renovations to Rancho Valencia. The new owners took great care to maintain the character, while updating and freshening the appearance and technology in the rooms and dining areas.

Our suite was beautiful, 1000 square feet with a private patio and personal outdoor jacuzzi.
The bed was a very very comfortable California King with silky-soft sheets and pillows.
There was a generously sized writing desk, a large ledge to place items that divided the bedroom from the sitting room, a round table with a wonderful welcome amenity of a bottle of chilled champagne and a basket of both fresh and dried fruits. and to top it off, your own personal refrigerator with complimentary amenities as well as your own coffee machine that could dispense fresh stemed milk as well!

The lighting was good, there was a gas fireplace that was very romantic in the corner, the black-out drapes covered the french doors and windows perfectly for a sound sleep.

It was very serene and relaxing to unwind in the quiet beauty of the suite, to read or watch tv on the big flat screens.

The bathroom was delightfully large, had high sinks, a steam shower, wonderful oval bathtub, a heated Toto toilet, and fluffy bath rugs.
I liked the scent of the liquid soap/shampoo/conditioner but didn't like the way they dried my hair out.

Very nice walk-in closet. Comfy bathrobes and slippers.

Housekeeping was twice daily, and showed up on time. The suite was always immaculately clean.

A large carafe of fresh orange juice and a daily newspaper was left on a ledge by our door in the morning, yet another nice touch.

The restaurant was excellent, much improved over previous years both in appearance and in the food, and definitely deserving of 1 Michelin Star under chef Eric.

My friend said she had the best lemon souffle pancakes of her life at breakfast. My fresh berries were of the highest quality, and the vegetarian egg frittata with red pepper coulis was marvelous.
Tomato soup and french onion soup at lunch was delicious, as was the beef carpaccio and steamed asparagus that Chef Eric made for me to kindly accommodate for my no sugar-no wheat-no gluten diet.
The blood orange iced tea was excellent too.

The Spa was very nice. It is great that all the fitness classes, exercise equipment, locker room and pool/spa area are included for complimentary use during guest stays.

Service from everyone was excellent, from the loyal Brigitte (?) at the front reception desk & Debbie G., to the bellmen/valet parking men, the housekeepers, all the various wait staff in the restaurant, and the ladies behind the desk in the Spa.

Rancho Valencia truly offers value for the money they charge.
The multitude of thoughtful extra amenities really make a great impression and make a positive difference from most 5 star hotels that don't offer them, or nickel-and-dime you for them.
This southern california Relais & Chateau is among the very best in the USA now that they have completed the renovations and done such an outstanding job of it.

It is a warm, welcoming, beautiful spot in a tranquil location, and we very much look forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel is truly gorgeous. The pictures don't do it justice, especially since it just reopened after a huge remodel. The grounds are lush and tropical. There are roaring outdoor fireplaces everywhere outside the hotel's lobby and restaurants and even at the spa. Our regular room was huge with a sunken living room and large outdoor patio. The bathroom was also enormous with a walk in shower, large soaking tub, and walk in closet. The service around the property was wonderful and friendly. We had our 2 year old with us and even though this is a fancy place with few children, she was welcomed. We loved the babysitting service the hotel recommended. They have an extensive children's menu, full size cribs with nice linens and most other toddler essentials (that we needed at least). The spa is gorgeous and there are numerous classes you can take for free, including reformer pilates. We enjoyed the food we ate at both restaurants and the bar scene at night in the Pony Room was fun and lively. I have two very small complaints--housekeeping wasn't always on the ball. Two days we returned at 2pm and our room still wasn't made up, even though we'd put a note on the door. And our mini bar was never refilled, until the last day when we specifically requested it because we were desperate. In their defense, however, when we called to complain our room was immediately cleaned etc. My other complaint is the location. This hotel is in the gorgeous residential neighborhood of Rancho Santa Fe, but it is in the middle of nowhere. I timed it and it took us 20 minutes to reach the hotel from downtown Del Mar and I know it was at least 30 to La Jolla and more to downtown. Its fine if you plan to spend 95% of your time at the hotel, but if you want to explore and eat off property and don't like to drive, this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Simon C, General Manager at Rancho Valencia, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Amanda N.,

Thank you for your review of Rancho Valencia. On behalf of all of our staff, it was a pleasure to have you and your family here with us. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your time at The Spa and at The Pony Room - they are two of my personal favorites on the property as well! I appreciate your feedback regarding our housekeeping team and I will be sharing this important information with our team so that we may improve our service.

We hope to see you here again soon.

Warmly,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

It took months to find the right hotel in Southern California...and Rancho Valencia was exactly what I was looking for! This hotel is a real hidden gem. The property is exquisite - set in the lush, ritzy Rancho Sante Fe neighborhood, I felt like I was a guest in a private villa. Our room was HUGE (the bathroom alone is bigger than most hotel rooms), complete with a separate seating area, fire place, outdoor plunge pool and garden seating area. The restaurant is gourmet, and we enjoyed the scene at the Pony Room. The spa is beautiful but extremely expensive. We appreciated the excellent views, warm hospitality, brand new furnishings, and luxurious setting. Looking forward to returning!
Nice all inclusive rate: snacks and beverages in the room, no hidden fee for parking or internet etc.

Room Tip: They are all wonderful! Can't go wrong.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

I was delighted to read your feedback regarding your visit to Rancho Valencia. Thank you for the glowing review, we are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us! The resort truly is a hidden gem and it brings us such pleasure to have the opportunity to share it with you.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Warmest regards,

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We just returned from two tranquil days at Rancho Valencia. They are almost complete with their multi-million dollar renovation, and the results are spectacular. It’s a first-class resort, that exceeds expectations, from their well-trained staff who greet you with a smile, and cool drink and walk you to the guest check-in, to their restaurant, bar and spa staff. All know just what to say, and when…
Our villa was amazingly appointed with the highest standard in décor, and amenities; the Italian cappuccino maker with French coffee, the non-honor bar, private patio and Jacuzzi with lounges. As one guest has already commented, the bathroom is almost the showpiece of the room, with its personal steam shower and soaking tub, and Toto lavatory, with motion sensor seat rising closing, self-flushing, and warm seat, it’s truly over the top.
We dined in the Pony room, and the Veladora restaurant, both were very good. Our in room breakfast of Eggs Benedict and champagne was such a treat. We were also lucky enough to have a couples massage in the newly completed spa. Once again, over the top in amenities, décor and service.
We will hopefully be back year to enjoy this spectacular hide-a-way.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We revisited Rancho Valencia following an extensive facility upgrade an the results are impressive. The new rooms were great. Very clean, nice furniture , good amenities. The bathroom is particularly outstanding ( believe it or not the new toilet is a fantastic example of technology) and the rooms are a perfect size, each one a suite with privacy and its own patio and hot tub. The beds and linens are first class. The restaurants have been redone and the food is exceptional, whether it is in the informal bar or the main restaurant. Finally the management is very responsive an cannot do enough to enhance the guest experience. The spa will be reopening in the next few weeks but what we saw was quite impressive as well. We look forward to revisiting RV very soon!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rancho Valencia? Share your experiences!