“Wow” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Terranea Resort

You added Terranea Resort to your Saves list
Terranea Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   100 Terranea Way, driving directions, 6610 Palos Verdes Drive South, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275   |
Special Offer
Memorial Day Special
Southern California
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Terranea is relatively close to LAX and other Southern California attractions. However, it is a world apart from Southern California urban sprawl. The rooms at Terranea are adequate for what aims to be a world-class destination resort, but they are not what will attract you to Terranea. What makes the resort exceptional are the incredible ocean views, landscape, and feeling of spaciousness. The resort also appears to have a great variety of activities such as kayaking, golf, hiking and biking, which looked popular, but I did not have enough time to partake. I did get to experience the spa. It is "best in class". It has the best location on the resort and you definitely need to visit it if only to sit poolside and stare at the ocean views. The adjoining fitness facility was roomy and beautiful, but a little spare on weight machines. From there you can take a short stroll and visit Nelson's bar and grill on the property which has an equally amazing view. I would improve a few things. I was somewhat surprised that the resort did not have tennis courts on site, but I heard that they are available nearby. I was disappointed that my "ocean front" room looked across a wide lawn, and a well-traveled pedestrian path before it gave me a view down the coast . It would have been ok had it not been on a lower floor and given me the feeling that the pedestrian path looked into my room . I ended up changing it for an "ocean view" room, at a lower rate, on the other side of the hotel which I liked better. The room balconies are small, but we were able to sit outside and enjoy the sunset from there. The room and bathroom were not as large as I thought they should be, but overall they were very functional, comfortable, quiet and perfectly fine -- just not over the top. Although the resort caters to weddings and large groups, the attentive staff and well designed resort layout made it perfectly comfortable for just the two of us. I have been to other Southern California ocean resorts -- Bacara, Montage, Del Coronado, Ritz Carlton -- and I rate Terranea equal to, if not superior to all of them.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Turkish first
El Dorado Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

We stayed there this past week. (March 20 - 23)

We thought it was very easy to get there if you have a GPS or iPhone.

In our eyes we got a good deal on the resort. $175.00 a night via Travelzoo. We did have to pay a $20.00 self-parking fee, but no resort fee.

When we pulled up in our rented Ford Flex we felt like we were staying in a Super High-End place as we saw a Bentley, BMW, Jag, and Mercedes in the great looking entrance.

I chose self-parking as it was only $20.00 vs the $30.00 valet service. You have to barely walk at all, so I would recommend it. Once I said I wanted to do self-parking the guy was totally helpful and even took my keys and parked my car on the side next to the Bentley for me to park myself when I was done checking in. I was surprise how nice he was... Started off with a very good impression and made me feel like if the snooty richy rich stayed here... it was good for me!

The bellman took up my bags and 1st got me a room with no view at all. Of the 550 rooms they have he told me they have 4 rooms that are crap and I got put in one of them. He then called to the front desk and asked is room 2141 was available, because there was a tree blocking part of the view, but it was like a free upgrade to a partial view but was still on the same level as the lowest tier they had. So, I recommend that if you don't like your view to tell them... They have TONS of rooms... they should give you a good one if your staying there.

The grounds are amazing there! We walked around alot and just enjoyed the views in the mornings.

We ate onsite 3 times. 2 times at Nelson's where we had the specials there. Great burger for $9.00, and an enchilada for $12.00. We also ate breakfast at the main dinning area. The Sunday buffet was $28.00 and the food was great! My wife had a 2 eggs sausage & hashbrowns for $15.00. It was very spendy for breakfast, but we thought that the breakfast was worth the splurge.

We were planning on only sleeping at the resort and going on day-trips each day up north, but we we were so impressed with the resort and it's beauty that we stayed the whole day there on Sunday... We took advantage of the great Gym and my wife took part in the SPA. For 90 minutes of a deep tissue massage it was $240.00. They have a mandatory 20% tip that is added in, so it cost us $294.00 for the service.

The SPA also had a private Sauna, steam room, relaxation area, cold tub, hot tub, and lounge area overlooking the ocean. There was a private set of amenities for guys and gals. If you get a service there you can take advantage of these all day. If you choose to only take advantage of these with no SPA treatment it costs $40.00. So, if you are having a SPA treatment, I recommend you take advantage of all the freebies for the day and soak in as much as you can., since the SPA treatments are quite high, but my wife said she felt like a queen and it was like she had the whole area to herself to be pampered.

I am a bigger dude that normally like swim-up bars and lots of entertainment. There was none of this type of stuff. It was more of a zen like retreat where you can share take advantage of Yoga and Pilates and hang out in the hot tub and chill by the fire pits in the evenings. In the great robs they provide you. I did take advantage of both Yoga and Pilates for the 1st time. For Yoga we had my wife, some gal & myself in the class, and just my wife and I in the Pilates class. It was like having a private lesson.

Overall... I would give it a 5-Star rating... Yes... Ice was kinda a pain to get... and there was no In & Out Burger across the road... But to me it felt like it was one of those high-end health resorts you see on the travel channel. I highly recommend it. Go there while the price is still low on this place as once it gets busier I am sure the cost will get closer ot that $430.00 rack rate.

This would be a great place for a wedding!!!

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

Came to the Terranea for Spring Break after booking on the internet. The booking sprang from an extra long & cold winter in the Midwest plus an intriguing internet promo = Spring Break destination !

Our "special" price was $1750 for 7 nights in the standard hotel part for an oceanview double room with a balcony and a $50 resort credit per day. I will give some highs and lows from our experiences .

IMPRESSIONS:
* Absolutely stunning views and landscaping, already beautiful and you can see how it will become even more so as the plantings mature.
* This place is a combination of a central hotel, casitas (think condo style rooms) and then some more town house type units.
* Wonderful place to jog and walk!
* No BEACH, despite any impressions of a beach "cove"...it is a man made small patch of sand with unpassable rocks between the "cove" and the sand.
* The Terranea seems like they cater to the traveler on a business trip/meeting and offers absolutely no interest or service to the family vacationer. It seems clear that the corporate guest is preferred above all others.

PROS:
--gorgeous setting
-- FREE wi-fi !! :)
-- the main pool area is really nice with a large sprawling pool area, two hot tubs, a 140foot long water slide that even young children can successfully ride, a spray park fountain area and a small corner between the slide and spray fountain area that is filled with sand and some sand toys. The staff that worked the slide area were super too!
My kids are 7 & 8, but I would have LOVED an area like this when they were 2-4! They really enjoyed it, parents of really young children will truly appreciate its thoughtful layout. All outside pool areas are surrounded by the gorgeous ocean views. It is quite relaxing!
---The location of the Terranea is so nice because you can easily drive to shop/eat/beach and be any number of places in about 15-20 minutes.
-- Nelson's beach bar/grill is a fabulous place to watch for whales! My kids were thrilled!
-- In addition to the whales, we have also seen seals and dolphins.
-- Every day, the resort releases hawks and/or falcons to help control the pigeon/nuisance bird population. (which we didn't see at all). It is a fascinating sight to see these majestic birds released. During our stay they were released at ~ 11am and then retrieved ~ 1pm. The handlers are very nice and answered questions for us.
-- Our standard hotel room was equipped with a mini fridge that was .....empty! What a lovely surprise! There was a menu/order card available that offered to stock it with soda/alcohol/etc for typically high hotel/resort prices. ( Example: 6 Capri Suns/$14, 3 yogurts/$10, 6 soft drinks/$12, bag of m&m's/$3 etc.) We went to the local supermarket and bought our own snacks/sodas/booze and filled it up!)
-- 2-4 bottles of water were provided in the rooms each day and were complementary :)
-- The bedside clock also has a docking station to play your iphone/ipod/itouch...which we loved!
--- a small in room safe is provided
--- Nelson's has a fantastic view and casual vibe and $5 draft beer

Cons:
--- This place is extremely expensive to eat at if you are NOT on an expense account.
--- Be prepared for sticker shock.
As an example: Breakfast for 2 adults/2 kids which consisted of:
... 2 coffees, 2 kid size juices, 2 bowls of rice krispies/milk, 1 bowl of homemade granola, huevos rancheros came to over $60 !! Really! For breakfast. The homemade granola was accompanied by a bowl of fresh berries and was delicious, but this was a relatively humble breakfast.
Wow! Other meals at Nelson's and snacks/drinks at the pool bar were similarly priced. For example, during an afternoon at the pool we had 2 kids hamburgers, a turkey sandwich and an ahi tuna appetizer, 4 beers on tap & 2 pina colada's = $137 before tip. Yikes! So, I would definitely plan to eat off site some of the time if you are working within a budget. We didn't even try the other "more expensive" restaurants on campus.

--- There was only ONE ICE MACHINE per large gigantic floor. Just for kicks, because it was so far away one night we counted just regular walking strides (not one foot in front of the other) and from the ice machine to our room it was 145 strides. You could almost pack a snack.
-- self parking is $20 per night, although when we checked in it was waived for us. A nice surprise! Valet parking is also available.

A nice touch would be for housekeeping to refill the ice bucket each day the way many other nice resorts do.

Do:
--go to Redondo beach and look up a pier restaurant called captain kidd's...it is a neat place that allows you to pick out raw fish, lobster, crab, mussels, oysters, clams etc and have it prepared any way you like. It is a casual place....indoor/outdoor picnic table type scene with newspapers to spread out on your table under your plates. Great staff & fun food!

-- Also, we loved Universal Studios! The Simpsons ride/experience was completely unique and fun!

All in all, this was a gorgeous setting and we made the most of it. I would have been much happier if we had opted for a room with a kitchen that allowed us a bit more space and freedom with meals.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Manhattan, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

So first off....make sure that your cab driver has GPS becasue NO ONE knows how to get to te hotel. Cab rides ranged from $63 feom LAX (with GPS) to $120 (without GPS) and every where in between.

Initially I was very impressed with the hotel. It is beautiful to look at and in a magnificent location. Staff was top notch and the food that was served at our corporate events was really very good.

The issues that I had were that the rooms could have been cleaner. The bathtub had obviously not been tended to becasue after I filled it, a layer of dust had collected on the surface.

The bed had a very puffy coverlet that mounded in the middle which caused me wake several times due to nearly rolling off ( I eventually removed it).

Finally, a friend of mine had a jewelry pouch taken from her room. The jewlry wasn't expensive...just fashion pieces for work...but still. She didn't wnat to report it to the hotel but I plan to on her behalf.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

We were able to enjoy a nice stay here between Christmas and New Years for a great price (under $150 a night) by taking advantage of the hotel's grand opening offer (we reserved and prepaid months ago). We arrived after dark and first drove right past the hotel's entry drive--the resort is located on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, a mostly residential area quite a distance from any freeway. There once was an aquatic park (Marineland) on this site. The resort has a lot of acreage and is well-designed in a Spanish/early California motif. The main hotel is a 4-7 story building that zigzags perpendicular to the ocean. There are a few rooms that face the sea directly; the other rooms with ocean views are coastline views with the ocean in the distance beyond the pools or other resort buildings--casitas, villas, the spa, Nelson's restaurant. All rooms have balconies, but their level of privacy varies because there are varying types of railings.

The resort, like most of Palos Verdes Peninsula, sits on bluffs above the ocean. There really are no beaches. The resort does have what it calls The Cove, also open to the public, which a staffer called a "simulated beach". It's basically a small circle of very compressed sand (hard to make a sandcastle with), with beach chairs and kayaks available for rent. The sand is separated from the ocean by rocks, so one really can't play in the surf. For guests with young children, the family pool would definitely be the better and safer water experience. The trail down to the cove is nicely done, but the bluffs that hover over it look unstable and crumbly. There is a lot of land movement on the peninsula--not too far from the resort is an area called Portuguese Bend where many homes have been destroyed over the years by sliding land. There are many posted warning signs about the dangers of stepping too far out on a bluff, and fencing is adequate, but I wonder just a little about long term stability.

There are 3 pools--a family pool with a pretty elaborate water slide, an interactive fountain, cabanas, a small sandy area, food service and hot tubs, an adult pool also with a sandy area and snack bar, and a pool within the spa/fitness center complex. This pool is supposedly reserved for guests who had spa treatments, but since the fitness center is open to all guests, I don't know how strictly this is enforced. The weather was overcast and drizzly during our stay, so all the pools were empty for the most part.
We did not have spa treatments, but took a tour of the spa--a 2 story building with a cafe, shop, salon and locker rooms on the first floor and treatment rooms above. There are separate indoor and outdoor areas for men and women, plus a coed patio overlooking the sea. Very pretty, but expensive treatments--more costly that the Montage Beverly Hills where we had also just stayed.

Some prior reviews have mentioned the parking situation. When we arrived, we noticed a public parking lot for the beach and, a few feet away, an unmarked lot that we assumed (correctly) was for self-parking. In the end, we were not charged for self-parking, but when we checked out on New Year's Eve, a sign had been put up charging $20 to self-park, and an attendant was standing in the road. I think it has to do with how busy the hotel is. Of course, you can also valet.

When we checked in , we inadvertently were able to see a few different rooms. We had reserved the least expensive "resort view" room. The first room we were given was on the 2nd floor with glimpses of the ocean beyond trees and buildings. This turned out to be a disabled room, so we were next shown a standard room with a parking lot view. Then we were offered an upgrade to and ocean view room for half the normal cost, which we accepted. This room faced the same direction as the first room, but was on the top floor.
The room was comfortable, not super-fancy, pretty large. There was no DVD player and no minibar, but there was a minibar menu (like room service) and an empty free fridge. The robes were non-absorbent polyester terry. I liked the leather desk pad and the detailed guide book on the desk explaining the resort's offerings, philosophy, history of the area. Our room balcony had a partition separating it from our neighbours, but some do not.
Housekeeping for the most part was dismal. When we arrived in the evening, I noticed a housekeeper down the hall doing turn-down service, but she never showed up at our door. The next day, when we returned to the room around 3 pm, it had not yet been made up. We called and also mentioned no turn-down the night before and were promised it for that evening. When we returned later, it was clear housekeeping had spent only about 10 minutes cleaning the room. At 9:15 pm, a housekeeping supervisor knocked and asked if we still wanted turn-down, but of course it was too late. I don't think the housekeepers were lazy; rather, I think they were understaffed.

There are 3 main restaurants, plus 2 poolside dining venues, a coffee house and the lobby lounge. We only tried Catalina Kitchen for breakfast. They usually only serve their buffet on weekends, but were doing it daily during the holidays. It was decent, not exceptional. Mar'Sel is the fancy restaurant, dinner only. Nelson's is right on the edge of a bluff and is like a sports bar--no reservations, lots of outdoor seating with a fireplace and fire-pits. For dining off the premises, a car is essential. There are a few restaurants in small commercial pockets nearby, but for the most selection, you have to drive into Redondo Beach.

There is a pretty large business center that was empty, perhaps because it was a bit out of the way. There was a nice art gallery with works displayed by local artists. There are 2 huge ballrooms and lots of meeting rooms as well--this would be a lovely place to have a meeting.

Despite the resort's minor limitations and the weather, we enjoyed our stay. I think this is probably the largest oceanfront resort in Los Angeles County, but there are some Orange County resorts like the Montage in Laguna Beach and the Ritz Carlton and St. Regis in Dana Point that I think are superior. But we would certainly stay here again, especially if we got a good deal. Oh, and be sure to visit the Wayfarer's Chapel just down the road--stunning--designed by Frank Lloyd Wright's son, Lloyd Wright.

• Stayed December 2009
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

The hotel is almost surrounded by water. Everywhere you go, you see the ocean. My husband and I sat on our patio for hours doing nothing but talking, taking in the views and drinking mimosas. The rooms are SUPER clean and decorated so beautifully. The bed was so comfortable! The staff was very friendly, every said hello and asked if we needed anything. We sat in the jacuzzi looking at the ocean, and it didn't close until 10pm! We ate a very nice dinner at Mar'sel, the service was wonderful and the food was amazing. The portions were a bit small, and we are small eaters, but we were fine. It is so quiet and peaceful, you cannot help but feel an amazing sense of tranquility. There are many fire pits to sit and talk by and many little "areas" that invite you to come, relax and enjoy good views and conversation. This is not the place to go if you are looking for a party, but if you want to relax, enjoy beautiful views and have wonderful food, you must stop by! Definitely worth it.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
westwood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

Oh my gosh...
It was heaven. I can't remember the last time I was that relaxed. My wife and I LOVED Terranea - She wants us to renew our wedding vows at Terranea next year.
The casita was AMAZING. We want to move in! We sat next to our personal fire pit looking at the ocean for hours. We didn't want to go home.
For dinner we ate outside at Mar'sel and it was was fantastic- The perfect compliment to our weekend. The staff was very helpful and a dream the entire time.
Our stay at Terranea will go down as one of the best weekends my wife and I have ever spent together.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!