“Awesome Place On The Coast In Los Angeles” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Terranea Resort

Save Saved
You added Terranea Resort to your Saves list
Terranea Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   100 Terranea Way, driving directions, 6610 Palos Verdes Drive South, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275   |
Offers & Announcements
$500 Resort Credit!
Denver
“Awesome Place On The Coast In Los Angeles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Spent 2 nights at Terranea recently while attending a business meeting. This is a top shelf resort run by Destination Hotels that is a perfect location outside of the bustle of LA. It is built on the former Marine Land and is situated on the cliffs above the Pacific. The views are fantastic, the rooms are well appointed and the service is impeccable. I used the gym every morning and it has everything you need to keep your workout routine in tact. The only complaint I had, and it is a small one, is that the it does not open until 6 AM. It is not a big issue for those who are vacationing and relaxing but is kind of late for those who are unlucky enough to be attending business meetings.

I will be looking to come back and bring my wife for a long weekend. I would not bring the kids as it is a little high end for them. There were kids there but they seemed somewhat out of place.

My room was in the main hotel but there are casitas available as well. Staying in a casita would add to the ambiance and provide a nice retreat to escape to.

Overall a very, very nice place1

Room Tip: If you have it in your budget, try a casita
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Brad,
Thank you for your review. We are happy to read about your experience and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Terranea with your wife for a relaxing vacation on your next trip. Thank you again!

1,303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Turkish first
manhattan beach, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

This review speaks directly to the Spa at Terranea Resort. As the other reviews stated, the property is amazing. The views are uncomparable. When visiting the spa you can spend the day at the spa pool, which has a nice spa feel to it: quiet and relaxing. In the year since my last visit, the pool furniture has become worn and torn. The furniture cushions in the women's outdoor lounge area also needs replacing. In one year since my last visit I have noticed a decline in the crispness that this spa once had. While I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to enjoy a spa day, it's pricey to say the least. Details matter when you're spending a good deal of money. With that said, the spa service itself was quite good.

Stayed September 2013
Corte Madera, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This resort is absolutely amazing. I was here for a two-day business conference, and it was the best location we've had - previous resorts have been Ritz-Carlton in Half Moon Bay and Bacara Resort in Santa Barbara. The staff was extremely professional and friendly, the grounds are gorgeous, my room was beautiful, etc. The decor and finishes and cleanliness of my room were perfect...and I am picky! Not only do I not have one bad thing to say about my entire experience, but I also can't give this resort a higher recommendation. It's a double thumbs up...just amazing. I would definitely return. Champagne upon arrival, helpful valet, front desk clerk was the best, room was gorgeous, meeting rooms were inviting...even the carpeting in the hallways near the meeting rooms was beautiful. PS. Did I already say it was amazing? Also, I've never given feedback for a hotel or resort before this because it was never worth it.

Room Tip: I stayed in the main building and loved the convenience of it since I was attending a conference in...
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The property was quite beautiful and the staff very accommodating! (except at our check in). I made reservations months prior, for two ocean view rooms, requesting the top floor, with an unobstructed view, for my husband's 65th birthday. Our check in was a little haphazard. People were all over the lobby. The champagne we received upon arrival, was quite tasty, but the delivery system was quite sloppy. Until we asked for a supervisor, (which seemed to have miffed our check in agent), we did not get the special requests that we again stated in the email the resort sends prior to your arrival.(and yes, we know there are no guarantees). We also were not advised of the resort amenities at check in, which affected my husband and son since they were playing golf at Terranea and Trump and could have used the complimentary shuttle to Trump and utillized the practice driving range at Terranea. Since they charge you a resort fee for the amenities, they should tell you what they are or at least advise you the services are listed in your card key envelope! My family was very pleased by the beauty, location, and maintenance of the golf course. Service, and the quality of our meals, in the restaurants was outstanding, but food overpriced. The food and our server, at Catalina Kitchen was superb!! Nelsons was a bit slow, but what's the hurry? You're on vacation. Sea Beans was reasonably priced for breakfast. The adult pool by the ocean did not have enough seating to accommodate the guests, so we had to put towels out early the next morning. They need a better system. We spent one afternoon at the upper pool and enjoyed the beautiful views. The pool slide was great fun, but they should also have staff at the top of the slide for safety and to make the line move more expeditiously. The room was nice and the bathroom quite plush. Our shower leaked on the bathroom floor because the seal on the door was broken, however, they fixed it immediately after receiving my call. Overall we had a wonderfully relaxing time, which was my goal, but due to the aforementioned I can't give it an excellent rating, but I will say it was very good.

Room Tip: The higher the better, as check in is on the 4th floor and restaurants are on the lower floors. If t...
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I went to Terranea for a business conference and didn't want to leave! Beautiful setting on the California coast. Walking trails, with benches overlooking the ocean where you can sit and watch for dolphins, whales, and seals. (We saw all three!) Separate family and adult pools with great service for drinks and food. Make time to have a casual dinner at Nelson's to watch the sunset over the ocean - breathtaking! Sit close to a heater - it gets chilly! The hotel staff was very friendly and attentive. They all seemed to love their jobs and who could blame them - working in such a beautiful place! Overall a wonderful, relaxing week.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Casita. We expected it to be 'more' than just a typical hotel-style room. I...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Beverly,
We enjoyed reading your review! Thank you for providing your feedback. It is wonderful to hear about your experience. We hope to welcome you and your husband back to Terranea soon.
Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The service we received from the Terranea staff could not have been better. As customer service rep, Rachel, contacted me before our trip and answered all my questions and made golf reservations for us.
Check in was a breeze with the champagne, and they even upgraded us to a casita. What a beautiful room with a view of the ocean and Catalina (when not devoured by the fog). Then, because I had told Rachel we were celebrating our anniversary, we received a complimentary bottle of champagne!
We only ate at Nelsons in the garden area. It was so much fun to sit outside and listen to live music. The shrimp tacos were delicious. The food and drinks are very expensive there, but it is a resort and I have found they are always expensive.
The grounds are just gorgeous and the walking paths above the beach are wonderful. Whenever we passed a Terranea staff, they were always friendly, and offered us a ride on the cart.
A couple of things could be improved upon; we were in a casita at the far end of the resort and the only pool at that end is the spa pool. It is not open to all guests, only those using the spa. Same goes for the workout room. I think a $60 fee for resort guests to use that pool and workout room is ridiculous.
Also, housekeeping did not do a very good job. Left us no TP, coffee accessories, and the tile floors were filthy. I walked around in white socks and they were black on the bottom. Granted I walked on the porch, but it's floor was also filthy and the cushions had dirt spots all over them.
Overall, I would back here in a heart beat

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Northern New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

First I'll say that you will want for nothing at this property. It is its own village. It's beautiful, relaxing, and you feel like you really are getting away from it all. It has an expansive layout and they work hard to allow those with kids to enjoy a kid-friendly atmosphere and those without them to be able to almost completely forget that it's a kid-friendly resort. I haven't even mentioned the food---absolutely delicious. Every meal was fantastic with only one minor exception (but I think that had more to do with the fact that my husband didn't truly understand what kind of dish Huevos Rancheros was). And the spa....first rate absolutely. And if my massage therapist Jose worked anywhere near my home I could see myself going bankrupt getting massages from him so often. I can't recommend him highly enough--and I'm fairly picky when it comes to massages.

Additionally, they have the coolest water slide at the kid's pool!! I'm 32 years old, but I was squealing with delight as I rocketed down that curvy slide! I'm serious. If you lay completely flat and cross your legs and cross your arms over your chest you can get up to some shockingly high speeds! It is, admittedly difficult to put a price on getting to be a kid again.

They also have live music entertainment throughout the property--which was really fun.

However, it seems that the property uses a business model which operates by jacking up the prices to insane amounts and then making lots of "discount packages" available for purchase that seem to take the sting out of the price. However, when you examine the fine print the packages don't include certain things, of course don't include gratuities (which can really be exorbitant when you are paying a percentage of the original price), and just seem to have a lot of carefully placed limits and exclusions. Additionally, despite the fact that we had this package we did have to remind the front desk of several items that should have, in fact, been included that they issued as charges on the final bill. It was worked out quickly and without issue, however.

Just to give a couple examples of the prices, a 60 minute massage (though heavenly) is just under $200 not even including the 20% tip that is automatically added on (and well deserved! but still a pricey one hour massage!). Despite the fact that the property is located in the middle of nowhere and there is more than enough parking, SELF PARKING is something like $25 a night.

So ultimately, it is a very high quality place that I would expect to pay a premium for. However, even as fantastic as it was it did seem overpriced and it seemed that one had to be very mindful of the charges and follow-up to ensure accurate billing. But if you are the kind of person that finds it difficult to relax during a standard vacation and you really want and need to truly get away from it all....AND you have a very healthy budget for said getaway....then this is your spot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!