“Nice Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Terranea Resort

You added Terranea Resort to your Saves list
Terranea Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   100 Terranea Way, driving directions, 6610 Palos Verdes Drive South, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275   |
Offers & Announcements
Labor Day Getaway
california
“Nice Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The property was quite beautiful and the staff very accommodating! (except at our check in). I made reservations months prior, for two ocean view rooms, requesting the top floor, with an unobstructed view, for my husband's 65th birthday. Our check in was a little haphazard. People were all over the lobby. The champagne we received upon arrival, was quite tasty, but the delivery system was quite sloppy. Until we asked for a supervisor, (which seemed to have miffed our check in agent), we did not get the special requests that we again stated in the email the resort sends prior to your arrival.(and yes, we know there are no guarantees). We also were not advised of the resort amenities at check in, which affected my husband and son since they were playing golf at Terranea and Trump and could have used the complimentary shuttle to Trump and utillized the practice driving range at Terranea. Since they charge you a resort fee for the amenities, they should tell you what they are or at least advise you the services are listed in your card key envelope! My family was very pleased by the beauty, location, and maintenance of the golf course. Service, and the quality of our meals, in the restaurants was outstanding, but food overpriced. The food and our server, at Catalina Kitchen was superb!! Nelsons was a bit slow, but what's the hurry? You're on vacation. Sea Beans was reasonably priced for breakfast. The adult pool by the ocean did not have enough seating to accommodate the guests, so we had to put towels out early the next morning. They need a better system. We spent one afternoon at the upper pool and enjoyed the beautiful views. The pool slide was great fun, but they should also have staff at the top of the slide for safety and to make the line move more expeditiously. The room was nice and the bathroom quite plush. Our shower leaked on the bathroom floor because the seal on the door was broken, however, they fixed it immediately after receiving my call. Overall we had a wonderfully relaxing time, which was my goal, but due to the aforementioned I can't give it an excellent rating, but I will say it was very good.

Room Tip: The higher the better, as check in is on the 4th floor and restaurants are on the lower floors. If t...
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I went to Terranea for a business conference and didn't want to leave! Beautiful setting on the California coast. Walking trails, with benches overlooking the ocean where you can sit and watch for dolphins, whales, and seals. (We saw all three!) Separate family and adult pools with great service for drinks and food. Make time to have a casual dinner at Nelson's to watch the sunset over the ocean - breathtaking! Sit close to a heater - it gets chilly! The hotel staff was very friendly and attentive. They all seemed to love their jobs and who could blame them - working in such a beautiful place! Overall a wonderful, relaxing week.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Casita. We expected it to be 'more' than just a typical hotel-style room. I...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Beverly,
We enjoyed reading your review! Thank you for providing your feedback. It is wonderful to hear about your experience. We hope to welcome you and your husband back to Terranea soon.
Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The service we received from the Terranea staff could not have been better. As customer service rep, Rachel, contacted me before our trip and answered all my questions and made golf reservations for us.
Check in was a breeze with the champagne, and they even upgraded us to a casita. What a beautiful room with a view of the ocean and Catalina (when not devoured by the fog). Then, because I had told Rachel we were celebrating our anniversary, we received a complimentary bottle of champagne!
We only ate at Nelsons in the garden area. It was so much fun to sit outside and listen to live music. The shrimp tacos were delicious. The food and drinks are very expensive there, but it is a resort and I have found they are always expensive.
The grounds are just gorgeous and the walking paths above the beach are wonderful. Whenever we passed a Terranea staff, they were always friendly, and offered us a ride on the cart.
A couple of things could be improved upon; we were in a casita at the far end of the resort and the only pool at that end is the spa pool. It is not open to all guests, only those using the spa. Same goes for the workout room. I think a $60 fee for resort guests to use that pool and workout room is ridiculous.
Also, housekeeping did not do a very good job. Left us no TP, coffee accessories, and the tile floors were filthy. I walked around in white socks and they were black on the bottom. Granted I walked on the porch, but it's floor was also filthy and the cushions had dirt spots all over them.
Overall, I would back here in a heart beat

Northern New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

First I'll say that you will want for nothing at this property. It is its own village. It's beautiful, relaxing, and you feel like you really are getting away from it all. It has an expansive layout and they work hard to allow those with kids to enjoy a kid-friendly atmosphere and those without them to be able to almost completely forget that it's a kid-friendly resort. I haven't even mentioned the food---absolutely delicious. Every meal was fantastic with only one minor exception (but I think that had more to do with the fact that my husband didn't truly understand what kind of dish Huevos Rancheros was). And the spa....first rate absolutely. And if my massage therapist Jose worked anywhere near my home I could see myself going bankrupt getting massages from him so often. I can't recommend him highly enough--and I'm fairly picky when it comes to massages.

Additionally, they have the coolest water slide at the kid's pool!! I'm 32 years old, but I was squealing with delight as I rocketed down that curvy slide! I'm serious. If you lay completely flat and cross your legs and cross your arms over your chest you can get up to some shockingly high speeds! It is, admittedly difficult to put a price on getting to be a kid again.

They also have live music entertainment throughout the property--which was really fun.

However, it seems that the property uses a business model which operates by jacking up the prices to insane amounts and then making lots of "discount packages" available for purchase that seem to take the sting out of the price. However, when you examine the fine print the packages don't include certain things, of course don't include gratuities (which can really be exorbitant when you are paying a percentage of the original price), and just seem to have a lot of carefully placed limits and exclusions. Additionally, despite the fact that we had this package we did have to remind the front desk of several items that should have, in fact, been included that they issued as charges on the final bill. It was worked out quickly and without issue, however.

Just to give a couple examples of the prices, a 60 minute massage (though heavenly) is just under $200 not even including the 20% tip that is automatically added on (and well deserved! but still a pricey one hour massage!). Despite the fact that the property is located in the middle of nowhere and there is more than enough parking, SELF PARKING is something like $25 a night.

So ultimately, it is a very high quality place that I would expect to pay a premium for. However, even as fantastic as it was it did seem overpriced and it seemed that one had to be very mindful of the charges and follow-up to ensure accurate billing. But if you are the kind of person that finds it difficult to relax during a standard vacation and you really want and need to truly get away from it all....AND you have a very healthy budget for said getaway....then this is your spot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Terranea is a great place to go for a weekend. Within the resort there are many ways to relax. The Spa pool and adult pool are great. The general pool if you are traveling with young children.

Palos Verdes is a ways from Los Angeles/South Bay attractions and restaurants so the vacay is really within the resort itself. Trump National Golf Course is close by if you are a golfer. There several restaurant choices. Nelsons has a wonderful fire pit and is sea side casual with good food.
The bungalows are great and located cliff side with beautiful views and close to the spa pool, Nelsons, and the work out center.
A tad pricey but a calm weekend getaway.

Room Tip: When reserving a room make a point of asking for one that does not overlook the children's pool...
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

PROS: Beautiful location

CONS: Service, rooms, and inconvenient "beach"

Rooms: For the price of our "oceanview" room (most oceanview Waikiki rooms are cheaper) we expected to have a great view. First room they took us to was probably 1/4 mile walk from front desk on the ground level room with only a peek at the ocean. Second room had view totally obstructed due to trees. Third room, which we were not moved to until 4PM the next day, still was a lot less than what I expected and nothing like the pictures. We never asked for nor were offered anything to compensate us for moving twice.

We were part of a wedding party that had used a group rate, and it seemed that many others that attended the wedding complained of similar experiences. One couple did not even receive the class or type of room they had reserved and were offered no compensation. I think hotel management figures that once you are there for the wedding that they "have you". Also, the walk to the rooms through hallways with stained carpet and cheesy wallpaper (think cheap Vegas hotel) and the rooms themselves could easily belong to any run of the mill hotel chain--not what I was expecting for the price. What is with the 1980's headboards and cheap paintings?

Service: The multiple room moves and the attitude of the front desk staff were just the beginning. It is a waste of time to valet your car here because they are extremely understaffed and it takes forever (15+ minutes) to get your car when you want to leave. Unlike most hotels, calling down beforehand does not seem to help. Lastly, as indicated by previous reviewers, the pool service is a joke. I walked up to the makeshift bar to try to get service and was told to sit down and someone would come help me. I waited 15 minutes and then walked up again and insisted on ordering at the bar, just ridiculous.

Oh yeah, room was not cleaned at all one day. Overall, staff clearly did not care.

Beach: Nice rocky beach, but not really worth the effort. Everyone we spoke to was disappointed by the beach. Better off getting in your car and driving to one of the much nicer beaches nearby (which we did).

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

If you want to get away from the city and feel like you have really escaped, this is a great choice. Great views of the ocean and very secluded. It is the only hotel near LA that has a similar feel to the Orange County beachfront hotels like the Montage, St. Regis, and Ritz hotels in Laguna. I would rate the Montage as the best by far. Terranea is very nice, but is way overpriced at $600 for a regular room. I'll pay that much to stay at the Montage, but the Terranea is not up to that level. Sure it is a beautiful property, but the service and rooms are not true 5 star, more of a 4 star hotel. It is more on par with the St. Regis. Still a nice place, just overpriced.

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Palos Verdes
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 19 in Huntington Beach
The Georgian Hotel
The Georgian Hotel
#6 of 34 in Santa Monica
4.5 of 5 stars 1,751 reviews

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!