PROS: Beautiful location
CONS: Service, rooms, and inconvenient "beach"
Rooms: For the price of our "oceanview" room (most oceanview Waikiki rooms are cheaper) we expected to have a great view. First room they took us to was probably 1/4 mile walk from front desk on the ground level room with only a peek at the ocean. Second room had view totally obstructed due to trees. Third room, which we were not moved to until 4PM the next day, still was a lot less than what I expected and nothing like the pictures. We never asked for nor were offered anything to compensate us for moving twice.
We were part of a wedding party that had used a group rate, and it seemed that many others that attended the wedding complained of similar experiences. One couple did not even receive the class or type of room they had reserved and were offered no compensation. I think hotel management figures that once you are there for the wedding that they "have you". Also, the walk to the rooms through hallways with stained carpet and cheesy wallpaper (think cheap Vegas hotel) and the rooms themselves could easily belong to any run of the mill hotel chain--not what I was expecting for the price. What is with the 1980's headboards and cheap paintings?
Service: The multiple room moves and the attitude of the front desk staff were just the beginning. It is a waste of time to valet your car here because they are extremely understaffed and it takes forever (15+ minutes) to get your car when you want to leave. Unlike most hotels, calling down beforehand does not seem to help. Lastly, as indicated by previous reviewers, the pool service is a joke. I walked up to the makeshift bar to try to get service and was told to sit down and someone would come help me. I waited 15 minutes and then walked up again and insisted on ordering at the bar, just ridiculous.
Oh yeah, room was not cleaned at all one day. Overall, staff clearly did not care.
Beach: Nice rocky beach, but not really worth the effort. Everyone we spoke to was disappointed by the beach. Better off getting in your car and driving to one of the much nicer beaches nearby (which we did).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Terranea Resort blends beautifully into an oceanfront promontory on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Located just 20 miles from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), the 582-room resort includes guestrooms, suites, bungalows, casitas and villas and a host of world-class amenities with 135,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting and event space. This Earth-friendly, picturesque Mediterranean-style resort offers guests spectacular dining venues, a world-class spa, three oceanfront pools, and a family-friendly nine-hole golf course with short-game practice facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Despegar.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Terranea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Terranea Hotel Rancho Palos Verdes
- Terranea Resort Rancho Palos Verdes