“Excellent Everything” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Terranea Resort

Save Saved
You added Terranea Resort to your Saves list
Terranea Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   100 Terranea Way, driving directions, 6610 Palos Verdes Drive South, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275   |
Offers & Announcements
$500 Resort Credit!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Excellent Everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed three nights in a casita the week before Christmas.  The whole family flew in from various parts of the country and most stayed together in a villa higher on the hill.

Our casita could not be beat: fantastic views of the ocean, spacious balconies, comfortable furnishings, great bed, etc.  There was simply no downside.

We cooked each evening in the villa, so I didn't enjoy any of the dining, but I wish I had.

The resort facilities that I saw in four days were fantastic: pools are well-maintained, walking paths are beautiful and well-maintained. The grounds were phenomenal, and I took dozens of pictures of the foliage.

I was expecting a beach, which doesn't exist at this resort, just rocks and cliffs.  Other than that, this was amazing and I will recommend it to anyone else looking for a US-mainland sort experience.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Hi Eric,
Thank you for your review. We are so happy to read your feedback! It is wonderful to hear about the vacation you had with your family. We appreciate you choosing Terranea for your special trip. We hope you will return to Terranea in the future and perhaps during your next visit you will have the chance to dine at one of our restaurants! Happy New Year to you and to your family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Turkish first
Culver City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I was curious about this newish property because I thought I was familiar with the Palos Verdes peninsula and wondered if that location could sustain a true resort property. I knew it would have killer views of the ocean but thought it would be too cool, windy and foggy most of the year to work. I was wrong.

This is a classy, comfortable resort with outstanding customer service. Not far from downtown Los Angeles but feels quite removed from the day to day rat race. I can recommend as a special retreat for locals. For those coming from out of town, it is fine if you are o.k. with staying put most of the time. But Terranea is not the best as a launching pad for a lot of different activities in Southern California as it is a minimum 20 minute drive just to get to the freeway.

I took advantage of special rates for the winter and prepaid for a short stay just before Christmas. As the date drew near, I grew concerned about the weather, as it has been uncharacteristically rainy. But we lucked out: it was a little cloudy when we checked in, rained early the next morning but cleared up to be gorgeous the following day. Most surprisingly, there was no wind to speak of and the temperature seemed to be about 4-5 degrees warmer than the other side of the hill in Torrance and the rest of the South Bay. After we checked out and drove away, the clouds seemed to blanket the skies. It seemed as if there is a micro-climate at the coast where the resort is in a protective bubble. (Or, I suppose it is possible that we just had charmed timing!)

The resort impresses from the outset. First, driving there, you see terrific views of the ocean over beautiful homes. Upon checking in, you are offered a complimentary glass of champagne or bottled water. Classy touch! The valets, check in personnel, housekeeping and waiters all were very courteous and helpful. Truly outstanding service that makes you feel special.

We had reserved an ocean view room and were not disappointed. The room was generously sized, with a balcony that had room for a small table and chairs. It overlooked the ocean and pool, with a view of the cliffs and Catalina Island across the ocean. Wonderful! The bathroom was large and luxurious, with separate tub, shower and toilet in a separated cubby. Also included were a work table/chairs, easy chair + ottoman, flat screen TV, mini-fridge (unencumbered with high-priced drinks), safe, and Keurig coffeemaker. The only criticism I had with the room was that the mattress was too soft for my liking.

The grounds of the resort were immaculate, with lots of pathways to walk to catch the views. There are several pools, including one with a large slide for the kids, an adult pool, a pool for spa guests and pools for bungalow guests. Even though the weather was in the high 60s to mid-70s, there were adults and kids in the main pool; I'm assuming it was heated. The fitness center looked quite large. There are also a number of restaurants on site, all with great views. There is no beach to speak of, although there are a couple of places to check out the tidepools. There is also an adjoining 9-hole golf course.

It appears that the resort is making extra efforts to encourage loyalty and return visits. There were many holiday activities offered, including fireside entertainment at night. There is a complete children's program available as well.

I'm sure that during the summer, this resort is much more crowded and it is possible that restaurants and pool chairs become a challenge. And, the room rates undoubtedly are high. But my experience this winter suggests that the other cooler seasons may present ideal opportunities to visit this excellent resort at value pricing.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are well worth the extra cost. They provide true ocean views from even the low...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Our trip began where we were greeted with "Welcome Back" and a glass of champagne as we stay prior to Christmas and over Easter every year. This time was a bit different as we brought Coco the Elf (Elf on a Shelf) with us. Initially he was fastened in tightly to the luggage handle. While my husband and son were away, I noticed he wasn't there. I called the Valet, Front Desk and Security. Most were not aware of the importance Elf on a Shelf has in the homes of young children (ours is 6). I shared the story and that if found please put him in a plastic bag and by all means - don't bring him to the door holding him (human touch takes away his magic powers). When my husband returned he looked in the car and found that Coco never got out - he unhooked in the trunk. Nonetheless, Rachel at the front desk was particularly sensitive to our situation and offered that a elf come to our room and read our son a story and include that their resident elf knew Coco and my son had nothing to worry about - he was on the "Nice List". It was only moments later that GIANT cookies and milk arrived at our room. The next day we came to the beautiful lobby for a reading by a resident elf, Peppermint. She began her conversation with my son (whose name she knew) that she personally knew Coco. My son was impressed. Then she allowed my son to pick out a book for her to read. Unfortunately through this time my son has been mildly sick with a persistent cough. Anna at the Catalina Kitchen has been great! She has brought him Chamomile Tea and packed up extra packs of tea for him in the evening. Everything about Anna has been service with a smile. During our stay we requested her. Interestingly as well, I asked if there was something to make hot water in our room - Next thing I knew a Keurig Tea Maker was delivered to our room. Every person has been great, but Rachel at the front desk and Anna at the Catalina Kitchen have been superb! I love this place! The Terranea is 5 stars and has set a very high bar!

Room Tip: They are all good!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hawthorne, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Our stay was great. We ate Sunday brunch and it was worth the 52 bucks. The waiters were so sweet and did anything to make your meal excellent. They had a large selection of food. It was overwhelming because I wanted to try everything! We also ordered room service and the burger and pulled pork sandwich were yummy. The receptionist could have been nicer. Our sliding glass door didn't open and that kinda bummed me out. I wasn't sure if they were all locked because it was winter but I was too lazy to call and have them fix it. We had a beautiful view of their Christmas tree. Overall our stay was great and would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear teachlove21,
We would like to thank you for your review of Terranea. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and the meals you had while visiting our property. We hope you were able to try most of the brunch items that caught your eye at Catalina Kitchen! We will pass on your kind words to our front desk staff and notify maintenance of your sliding door note. Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to Terranea soon.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is a beutifull resort, with great customer service. You feel like your on an island when your here, with great views from all areas of the resort. If you can afford to stay in the Villas, Bungalows, or Casitas I would definantly recommend them, they are so beutifull with fireplaces on the patios and out front of the residence. This is the nicest resort in the LA area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Decor/Rooms
The rooms were large and decorated tastefully. I loved how the bathroom was modern, clean and had a separate bathtub and shower.

The service was helpful, kind and accommodating.

Turn Down Service
Provided with pillow chocolates

View
Gorgeous view out to the ocean

Amenities
-Multiple pools
-Hiking trails
-Shops:Top of the line
-Spa

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

With business, the shows I attend are often in the top resorts in the country. This was by far my favorite resort so far. It was beautiful, but relaxed. Many resorts I go to I feel uncomfortable, like if I sit down I am going to mess it up. They have great common areas inside and out that lead to nice conversation with nice views. It has a great low-key vibe to it. You are encourage to walk on the trails and the staff was very friendly. The views are spectacular and in a few moments you can get caught up in the beauty. I am a Florida girl, so the cliffs with the Pacific are quite different from my beach landscape. The grounds were lovely. They have a walking par 3 course that was very well maintained. The room was very spacious. I really want to go back.

Room Tip: My room was a 4000 room so I did not have to get on the elevator. I had a balcony and it did overlo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
TerraneaGuestRel, Manager at Terranea Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear FloridaHoneybell,
We are honored to be picked as your favorite resort! We appreciate you leaving this review and we are happy to read that you enjoyed your visit to Terranea. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!